View Poll Results: Does big vocabulary = high IQ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

10 47.62%
  • Only partially

11 52.38%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does big vocabulary = high IQ?

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    I think too much weight is put onto mathematical and logical skills with conventional IQ testing. There are people who are geniuses in other fields who probably couldn't put 2 and 2 together or who have problems spelling their name. I find IQ tests very prejudiced in favour of those who do well at mathematics/logics and are very limited in terms of what they test.

I subscribe more to Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. http://www.education.com/reference/a...intelligences/

A professional dancer, or sportsman would rate very highly on bodily-kinaesthetic intelligence whereas the maths professor who has high logical-mathematical intelligence probably stumbles over his own two feet. Is the maths professor more intelligent than the dancer? Conventional IQ tests would have us believe that this is the case, but I don't buy it.

Mozart of Beethoven would have rated very high in the musical intelligence category. I don't know about the mathematical skills of either, but their strength was definitely in their musical ability.

Here is a test on the 8 intelligences to see where your strengths lie: http://www.literacynet.org/mi/assess...strengths.html

For me the IQ does not make or break the person. High IQ is all interesting to talk about but that's about it. It doesn't prove anything. Instead of testing kids on their mathematical-logical skills, they should be tested in 8 fields. Why do they test kids at school? To see how well they learn. A teacher needs to reach ALL his/her students, not just those who can count well. I think if schools paid more attention to the multiple intelligence they could reach each and every student through his/her strengths.

A lot of kids at school are being labelled as dumb or stupid but they aren't. Is a dyslexic any less intelligent that someone who can write well? No. If the educational system took in account the theory of multiple intelligence I could see a lot more kids doing exceptionally well because they have been REACHED.

I'm a member of Mensa because I was able to answer a few questions correctly and put a couple blocks together. Great. Now I'm a member of a high-IQ association. Does that buy me anything or prove anything? Nope. I'm as fucking stupid as the rocks lying in my yard.
    There's not really a math section in IQ tests. There is logic but it requires no previous knowledge. IQ tests are already highly geared to rewarding verbal skills. Something like that is like saying there's no such thing as IQ, IQ be racis dog. Obviously we can do a little better than that.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Bogdan

0 Not allowed!

No.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information