Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Default Tuzi-The second biggest Albanian settlement in Montenegro

Intro

The small town of Tuzi is located in the southern border of Montenegro and along with Ulqin composes the two largest historical Albanian settlements in the area, having been the Malesor Albanians and Albanians in general the historical, cultural, economical and administrative center for Gheg clansmen of various clans.

Demographics

The city itself has around 5000 inhabitants, and the urban municipality that includes the surrounding areas is believed to be inhabited by some 10000 souls, the vast majority of the which are Albanians from different clans, while the other minority is made of Montenegrins, Bosnians, Roma and a few other ethnic groups.

The predominant religion is Roman Catholicism, followed tightly by Islam both of these religious majorities belong to the Albania group, despite Islam is also predominant in the Bosnian minority, there are also a small number of Orthodox Montenegrins whom adhere to the Slavonic church.

The albanian inhabitants belong to several clans, the predominant ones being Malesor clans like Hoti, Koja, Trieshi, Kelmendi mostly Vuthajs , Shkreli, with a few from the Gruemira clans, followed by the Dukagjini clans like Shala being predominant and the Temali clans in lesser numbers.
    Due to belonging to such clans, the most common spread surnames are Ujka, Lulgjuraj, Gjeloshi, Prifti, Camaj, Martini, Markaj, Bardhi, Marashi, Nikaj, Prekaj, Nikmarashi etc..

History

The settlement is believed to have origins in the early 13th century, when Albanian Gheg clansmen led by Llesh Tuzi settled in the area somewhere around 1280, coming down from the highlands in order to have a land base for various reasons.
    When he settled here, Llesh Tuzi and his clansmen began the building of a Roman Catholic church and after his death this church was named after his name and the settlement took the settlement took his clan surname, being the predominantly stronger clan of the area.
    Latier, many other Albanian clansmen began spreading in the valley around Tuzi and by the 14th century, Albanians were the most predominant group of the area.
    Such as example was the village of Prifti close to Tuz, that was founded in the Early Medieval times by Albanian Shala clansmen led by Gjin Prifti whom named the village after his clan surname, whilst the slavic speaking population of the area left and headed further north in order to not enter in a conflict with the numerous Albanian clansmen.

Toponomy

Albanian toponyms are predominant in the area around Tuzi, swell as around Ulqin, Guci, Plava and other Albanian settlements in country.

Villages and areas of Tuzi municipality:

Arrez
    Bardhaj
    Benkaj
    Budez
    Cem
    Delaj
    Dinoshe
    Mileshi i Ulte
    Mileshi i Eperm
    Dreshaj
    Drume
    Dushaj
    Gurra
    Helminica
    Koje
    Koder-Budan
    Kreshe
    Llofke
    Lekaj
    Nabome
    Nenhelm
    Omer-Bozhaj
    Nikmarashaj
    Pankal
    Pikale
    Prifti
    Shpia e Rakise
    Spija
    Traboini
    Vllane
    Tuzi
    Camaj
    Triesh
    Uksan-Lekaj

Last Online
    05-12-2015 @ 03:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Ancestry
    Gheg clans
    Country
    European Union
    Hero
    Mother Teresa, William Shakespeare, Milord Edward Gropa
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

1 Not allowed!

What's interesting is that more than 80% of the toponyms of the area are in Albanian, same thing around Ulqin, Plava, Guci, and partially Tivar, despite being incorporated nowadays in another country.

All the Albanian historical areas in Montenegro cover at least and more than 25% of the modern multi ethnic state.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,420
    Given: 12,533

0 Not allowed!

Been there many times. Nice little town.

Last Online
    11-17-2022 @ 01:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Vasojević clan
    Country
    Montenegro
    Taxonomy
    Pred. Norid
    Politics
    Pan-Slavicism
    Hero
    dralos
    Religion
    Holly Cow
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 757
    Given: 335

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukgjin View Post
    What's interesting is that more than 80% of the toponyms of the area are in Albanian, same thing around Ulqin, Plava, Guci, and partially Tivar, despite being incorporated nowadays in another country.

All the Albanian historical areas in Montenegro cover at least and more than 25% of the modern multi ethnic state.
    proof?
    "Ne zanesi se za velike pobjede, koje s' prosutom krvlju zemlje i gradove obaraju, no se zanesi i za male pobjede, tek koje božanski dišu i mirišu!"
    Vojvoda Marko Miljanov Popović

Banned
    Last Online
    09-19-2015 @ 07:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lost Aryans
    Ethnicity
    Persian
    Ancestry
    Steppe.
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Alberta
    Politics
    Honorable Extreme Right Wing
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,168
    Given: 4,910

0 Not allowed!

Lol Vukodav, I can post here, endless maps since 1280 til 1870 AD that make not 1/4, but more than 70% of Montenegro part of the Albanian realm, ethnic and political albanian realm.

We must be aware, that montenegro is the equivalent of fyrom on this regard.

Last Online
    11-17-2022 @ 01:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Vasojević clan
    Country
    Montenegro
    Taxonomy
    Pred. Norid
    Politics
    Pan-Slavicism
    Hero
    dralos
    Religion
    Holly Cow
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 757
    Given: 335

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kastrioti1443 View Post
    Lol Vukodav, I can post here, endless maps since 1280 til 1870 AD that make not 1/4, but more than 70% of Montenegro part of the Albanian realm, ethnic and political albanian realm.

We must be aware, that montenegro is the equivalent of fyrom on this regard.
    please do. Albanian "realm" is an unknown term until 100 years ago. so. it would be funny to see even maps made in MS Paint.
    Montenegro as independant and reckognized country exist more then half of Balkan states.
    "Ne zanesi se za velike pobjede, koje s' prosutom krvlju zemlje i gradove obaraju, no se zanesi i za male pobjede, tek koje božanski dišu i mirišu!"
    Vojvoda Marko Miljanov Popović

Banned
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 10:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    Montenegro
    Y-DNA
    EV-13 Daco-Thracian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 1

3 Not allowed!

Around Guci the Shala clan dominates, after all it was founded in the early Medieval times by Ded Shala and a joint force of clansmen from Lotaj if I am not mistaken, however after the conversion to Islam many have become subject of assimilation in the Muslim Slavic ethnicity.

In Malesi, it is mostly the descendants of Keq Preka and his sons, the clans of Koja, Trieshi plus the Hotians that descend from Lazer Keqi, whilst there is a notable influence of Kelmendi clansmen from Nikshi brotherhood.

Tuzi was settled somewhere around 1241 in the early 13th century and I think that Llesh Tuzi was of either Mirdita or Berisha descent, however I am not sure and I have to study more on archives regarding this.

In the Gruda tribal area almost a quarter of it descends from Berisha clansmen, I think that Trina Smajli was of this extract whilst the remaining clansmen are of the Gjelaj clan that moved along with Keq Preka and settled quite a lot of villages.

Ulqin's villages are dominated by Shkreli clansmen, the city itself has a population that descends from various clans, namely Mirdites, native city clans, Shaljans, and some minor clans like the Shpuza one.

Tivar is home to many native clans and many Shpuza clansmen as well, I heard there are some Kelmendi clansmen there as well anyway.

Last Online
    06-05-2020 @ 05:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleohaimos
    Ethnicity
    Shqiptar
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-CTS9219>BY611
    Politics
    Drenicak
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,544
    Given: 3,463

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Murri View Post
    Around Guci the Shala clan dominates, after all it was founded in the early Medieval times by Ded Shala and a joint force of clansmen from Lotaj if I am not mistaken, however after the conversion to Islam many have become subject of assimilation in the Muslim Slavic ethnicity.

In Malesi, it is mostly the descendants of Keq Preka and his sons, the clans of Koja, Trieshi plus the Hotians that descend from Lazer Keqi, whilst there is a notable influence of Kelmendi clansmen from Nikshi brotherhood.

Tuzi was settled somewhere around 1241 in the early 13th century and I think that Llesh Tuzi was of either Mirdita or Berisha descent, however I am not sure and I have to study more on archives regarding this.

In the Gruda tribal area almost a quarter of it descends from Berisha clansmen, I think that Trina Smajli was of this extract whilst the remaining clansmen are of the Gjelaj clan that moved along with Keq Preka and settled quite a lot of villages.

Ulqin's villages are dominated by Shkreli clansmen, the city itself has a population that descends from various clans, namely Mirdites, native city clans, Shaljans, and some minor clans like the Shpuza one.

Tivar is home to many native clans and many Shpuza clansmen as well, I heard there are some Kelmendi clansmen there as well anyway.
    According to Hoti, Gruda settled there before them, at least to their oral traditions. Interesting though Gjelaj and Sinishtaj don't decent from the same ancestor genetically which contradicts their oral traditions. Do you happen to know more about these two brotherhoods?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    High-quality
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,391
    Given: 6,153

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Murri View Post
    In the Gruda tribal area almost a quarter of it descends from Berisha clansmen, .
    Welcome!

Do you know the last names used in Gruda?

Nga je ti?

Last Online
    06-05-2020 @ 05:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleohaimos
    Ethnicity
    Shqiptar
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-CTS9219>BY611
    Politics
    Drenicak
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,544
    Given: 3,463

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Minesweeper View Post
    Where are those endless maps Kastrated promised?

Anyway, there have been some religious conflicts there, not long ago. Not shooting or anything but fights among teens and so. It's peaceful but not harmonious really. Could those muslims be Bosniaks or Gypsies?
    Hey ratface, move along.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information