Thread: Can animals understand human language?

Banned
    Last Online
    10-08-2018 @ 01:31 PM
    Country
    Norway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 108

2 Not allowed!

Default Can animals understand human language?

Humans have a special relationship with house pets, and a full 62 percent claim that their pets understand the words that they speak [source: USA Today]. While there's no way to know exactly how much Fido gets what you're saying, scientists have proven that some dogs, apes and even dolphins can understand spoken language.

In one study, a border collie named Rico demonstrated that he knew the name of more than 200 objects, and could fetch these items on command [source: Science]. A similar study conducted on another border collie named Chaser went even further; not only could Chaser distinguish the names of at least 1,022 objects, he could also infer the names of new objects [source: Hecht]. For example, if asked to fetch Mr. Monkey -- a toy he had never seen before -- he could locate Mr. Monkey through the process of elimination when the monkey was placed near toys he was familiar with.
    Perhaps even more exciting, Chaser was able to repeat this process of locating unfamiliar toys by name a full month later, after only being exposed to the new items once before. He was also able to understand verbs and objects used in different contexts; for example, Chaser demonstrated that he could put his nose to a ball, fetch, touch or take the ball depending on the command given.
    Just so you don't think that border collies have an edge, a Yorkshire terrier demonstrated his understanding of more than 120 words in a separate study [source: Hecht].

But what about other animals who don't have such a close relationship with humans? Consider the case of Kanzi, a bonobo ape. Through years of work with his trainer, Kanzi was able to demonstrate his understanding of more than 3,000 English words [source: Raffaele]. A researcher would speak the words from a separate room to avoid giving any contextual clues, and Kanzi would listen through headphones and point to the symbol represented by the word on his special keyboard. The ape was also able to respond appropriately to commands, such as, "Put the soap in the water."
    Perhaps even more interesting is the case of a pair of bottlenose dolphins, who demonstrated that they were able to understand full sentences in a 1984 study. Trainers used computer-generated sounds and hand signals to communicate with the dolphins, who were able to follow instructions ranging from two to five words in length. The dolphins could also locate objects placed in the tank with them a full 30 seconds after commands were given, or report to their trainers when commands given were impossible to execute [source:Herman et al].

As for the mighty housecat -- studies indicate that cats can easily distinguish their owner's voice from other voices calling their name [source: Saito and Shinozuka]. While they send signals demonstrating they know exactly what's going on, they also make it clear they don't care all that much and really aren't listening to exactly what you're saying. Seems only fitting behavior for the independent cat.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/ani...-language1.htm

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:15 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North-West European, minor North-Amerindian
    Ancestry
    British Isles (77%) Scandinavia (10%) France (9%) North-Amerindian (4%)
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    I-L233
    mtDNA
    X2b4
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid / Atlantid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    North-Sea Aesthetic
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,464
    Given: 15,607

1 Not allowed!

Of course they would be able to distinguish different vocal patterns, and perhaps learn some words. I've known people to have dogs where around they could not say certain words to avoid exiting her. However it's obvious the animal isn't aware this is a word per say, it simply can recall the sound and the association of that sound. I believe the rest relies on tone, and inflection of the person speaking.

For example I can communicate with animals (dogs, cats) who were trained in a language other than English, and because of the tone of my voice they know what I intend. Specific commands on the other hand might be confusing to them. It comes down to training, my girlfriend trained a two year old dog to give it's paw for food in a matter of and hour or so. These animals are intelligent, mostly.
    Anglo Saxon + Frank (4.336)
    Viking Danish + Frank (4.338)
    Gael + Frank (4.39)
    Anglo Saxon (4.393)
    Viking Danish + Anglo Saxon (4.568)

Last Online
    09-25-2015 @ 08:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Norse
    Ethnicity
    Nordic White
    Ancestry
    Hyperborea
    Country
    Norway
    Region
    Hordaland
    Taxonomy
    Cro-Magnid
    Politics
    Patriarchy
    Religion
    Odin and stuff
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 253

0 Not allowed!

Language is not a quality unique to humans.

Probably doesn't require much IQ to have language.

Is there animal poetry though? Can a trained ape invent a word?
    * Best New Poster 2015 *

Banned
    Last Online
    10-26-2016 @ 04:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Multi
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E1b1a8a><> the best
    mtDNA
    X2b<><>
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 287

0 Not allowed!

I'm a subhuman,which is the same thing as an animal. If you're not a human then what are you? You're an animal. As a primitive animal I can understand the human language. That's unbelievable isn't it? I even know how to speak,talk and type just like a human. Woah.... I bet I just blew your mind. Didn't I?

Last Online
    03-09-2021 @ 01:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, English
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian and English
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 601
    Given: 401

0 Not allowed!

In some households there were several generations in residence. The family dog might hear commands in more than one language.

Last Online
    08-13-2017 @ 10:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Baltic
    Ethnicity
    Deutscher
    Ancestry
    De/Ndl/Frz
    Country
    Austria
    Taxonomy
    Nordid-Balto-Alpinid
    Politics
    Konservativ
    Religion
    Agnostiker
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 17

0 Not allowed!

Theres a female gorilla called Koko who is fluent in american sign language and she even understands a bit of spoken english!
    „Wenn man ein Wozu des Lebens hat, erträgt man jedes Wie."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread Information