Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Default Celts and Celtophiles - An Essay by G. K. Chesterton

XIII. Celts and Celtophiles

Science in the modern world has many uses; its chief use, however, is to provide long words to cover the errors of the rich. The word "kleptomania" is a vulgar example of what I mean. It is on a par with that strange theory, always advanced when a wealthy or prominent person is in the dock, that exposure is more of a punishment for the rich than for the poor. Of course, the very reverse is the truth. Exposure is more of a punishment for the poor than for the rich. The richer a man is the easier it is for him to be a tramp. The richer a man is the easier it is for him to be popular and generally respected in the Cannibal Islands. But the poorer a man is the more likely it is that he will have to use his past life whenever he wants to get a bed for the night. Honour is a luxury for aristocrats, but it is a necessity for hall-porters. This is a secondary matter, but it is an example of the general proposition I offer—the proposition that an enormous amount of modern ingenuity is expended on finding defences for the indefensible conduct of the powerful. As I have said above, these defences generally exhibit themselves most emphatically in the form of appeals to physical science. And of all the forms in which science, or pseudo-science, has come to the rescue of the rich and stupid, there is none so singular as the singular invention of the theory of races.

When a wealthy nation like the English discovers the perfectly patent fact that it is making a ludicrous mess of the government of a poorer nation like the Irish, it pauses for a moment in consternation, and then begins to talk about Celts and Teutons. As far as I can understand the theory, the Irish are Celts and the English are Teutons. Of course, the Irish are not Celts any more than the English are Teutons. I have not followed the ethnological discussion with much energy, but the last scientific conclusion which I read inclined on the whole to the summary that the English were mainly Celtic and the Irish mainly Teutonic. But no man alive, with even the glimmering of a real scientific sense, would ever dream of applying the terms "Celtic" or "Teutonic" to either of them in any positive or useful sense.

That sort of thing must be left to people who talk about the Anglo-Saxon race, and extend the expression to America. How much of the blood of the Angles and Saxons (whoever they were) there remains in our mixed British, Roman, German, Dane, Norman, and Picard stock is a matter only interesting to wild antiquaries. And how much of that diluted blood can possibly remain in that roaring whirlpool of America into which a cataract of Swedes, Jews, Germans, Irishmen, and Italians is perpetually pouring, is a matter only interesting to lunatics. It would have been wiser for the English governing class to have called upon some other god. All other gods, however weak and warring, at least boast of being constant. But science boasts of being in a flux for ever; boasts of being unstable as water.

And England and the English governing class never did call on this absurd deity of race until it seemed, for an instant, that they had no other god to call on. All the most genuine Englishmen in history would have yawned or laughed in your face if you had begun to talk about Anglo-Saxons. If you had attempted to substitute the ideal of race for the ideal of nationality, I really do not like to think what they would have said. I certainly should not like to have been the officer of Nelson who suddenly discovered his French blood on the eve of Trafalgar. I should not like to have been the Norfolk or Suffolk gentleman who had to expound to Admiral Blake by what demonstrable ties of genealogy he was irrevocably bound to the Dutch. The truth of the whole matter is very simple. Nationality exists, and has nothing in the world to do with race. Nationality is a thing like a church or a secret society; it is a product of the human soul and will; it is a spiritual product. And there are men in the modern world who would think anything and do anything rather than admit that anything could be a spiritual product.

A nation, however, as it confronts the modern world, is a purely spiritual product. Sometimes it has been born in independence, like Scotland. Sometimes it has been born in dependence, in subjugation, like Ireland. Sometimes it is a large thing cohering out of many smaller things, like Italy. Sometimes it is a small thing breaking away from larger things, like Poland. But in each and every case its quality is purely spiritual, or, if you will, purely psychological. It is a moment when five men become a sixth man. Every one knows it who has ever founded a club. It is a moment when five places become one place. Every one must know it who has ever had to repel an invasion. Mr. Timothy Healy, the most serious intellect in the present House of Commons, summed up nationality to perfection when he simply called it something for which people will die, As he excellently said in reply to Lord Hugh Cecil, "No one, not even the noble lord, would die for the meridian of Greenwich." And that is the great tribute to its purely psychological character. It is idle to ask why Greenwich should not cohere in this spiritual manner while Athens or Sparta did. It is like asking why a man falls in love with one woman and not with another.

Now, of this great spiritual coherence, independent of external circumstances, or of race, or of any obvious physical thing, Ireland is the most remarkable example. Rome conquered nations, but Ireland has conquered races. The Norman has gone there and become Irish, the Scotchman has gone there and become Irish, the Spaniard has gone there and become Irish, even the bitter soldier of Cromwell has gone there and become Irish. Ireland, which did not exist even politically, has been stronger than all the races that existed scientifically. The purest Germanic blood, the purest Norman blood, the purest blood of the passionate Scotch patriot, has not been so attractive as a nation without a flag. Ireland, unrecognized and oppressed, has easily absorbed races, as such trifles are easily absorbed. She has easily disposed of physical science, as such superstitions are easily disposed of. Nationality in its weakness has been stronger than ethnology in its strength. Five triumphant races have been absorbed, have been defeated by a defeated nationality.

This being the true and strange glory of Ireland, it is impossible to hear without impatience of the attempt so constantly made among her modern sympathizers to talk about Celts and Celticism. Who were the Celts? I defy anybody to say. Who are the Irish? I defy any one to be indifferent, or to pretend not to know. Mr. W. B. Yeats, the great Irish genius who has appeared in our time, shows his own admirable penetration in discarding altogether the argument from a Celtic race. But he does not wholly escape, and his followers hardly ever escape, the general objection to the Celtic argument. The tendency of that argument is to represent the Irish or the Celts as a strange and separate race, as a tribe of eccentrics in the modern world immersed in dim legends and fruitless dreams. Its tendency is to exhibit the Irish as odd, because they see the fairies. Its trend is to make the Irish seem weird and wild because they sing old songs and join in strange dances. But this is quite an error; indeed, it is the opposite of the truth. It is the English who are odd because they do not see the fairies. It is the inhabitants of Kensington who are weird and wild because they do not sing old songs and join in strange dances. In all this the Irish are not in the least strange and separate, are not in the least Celtic, as the word is commonly and popularly used. In all this the Irish are simply an ordinary sensible nation, living the life of any other ordinary and sensible nation which has not been either sodden with smoke or oppressed by money-lenders, or otherwise corrupted with wealth and science. There is nothing Celtic about having legends. It is merely human. The Germans, who are (I suppose) Teutonic, have hundreds of legends, wherever it happens that the Germans are human. There is nothing Celtic about loving poetry; the English loved poetry more, perhaps, than any other people before they came under the shadow of the chimney-pot and the shadow of the chimney-pot hat. It is not Ireland which is mad and mystic; it is Manchester which is mad and mystic, which is incredible, which is a wild exception among human things. Ireland has no need to play the silly game of the science of races; Ireland has no need to pretend to be a tribe of visionaries apart. In the matter of visions, Ireland is more than a nation, it is a model nation.
    Got to love that Chesterton !
    [Signature Pending]

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-29-2019 @ 11:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Czech Republic, Germany, French Huguenot, Ireland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    apolitical
    Religion
    agnostic, born Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I agree that both Irish and Scottish poverty was the result of repression by the English, but still think the Celts are worth investigating as a people, just as all the ancient peoples are worth understanding, their racial makeup being part of their characteristics as a people.

Last Online
    06-26-2022 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis24 View Post
    I agree that both Irish and Scottish poverty was the result of repression by the English, but still think the Celts are worth investigating as a people, just as all the ancient peoples are worth understanding, their racial makeup being part of their characteristics as a people.
    Yeah, blame the English for everything. We actually brought prosperity to the Irish and Scots. Look at their positions today - Ireland, independent and going the same way as Greece, and Scotland, being heavily subsidised by English taxpayers.

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfhere View Post
    Yeah, blame the English for everything. We actually brought prosperity to the Irish and Scots. Look at their positions today - Ireland, independent and going the same way as Greece, and Scotland, being heavily subsidised by English taxpayers.
    I'll only take you up on Ireland..

You have some cheek to say England brought prosperity to Ireland when England's relationship with Ireland has been hallmarked by economic sanctions against the Irish nation because England would not risk an economic and military power so close to home.

England, in reference to the English government and not the wee farmers on the hillsides, has always tried to keep the Irish nation down, never dead though as the manpower provided by Ireland was always valuable.

You will argue for Dublin and Belfast as being an example of England bringing prosperity.. I will counter that with the basic fact than the vast majority of the Irish population lived outside of Dublin and Belfast - in every sense of the word.

The English parliament was never a friend to Ireland and never will be a friend to Ireland.

Deal with it.
    [Signature Pending]

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfhere View Post
    - Ireland, independent
    Partially.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post
    Partially.
    Not even that. Six counties are under British dominion and the other are under Franco-German dominion (EU).
    [Signature Pending]

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-04-2013 @ 08:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

0 Not allowed!

I don't think there's much to be said for civic nationalism on it's own, so I'm not too impressed with Chesterton's essay. However, he was very correct, in my opinion, to dismiss modern notions of race being directly related to broadly incorporative and quite diverse ancient tribal groups, such as the Celts, Germanics etc, since they have always been cultural/linguistic and not racial. Regarding race as redundant though, simply because of the practical irrelevance of cultural/linguistic umbrella categorisations in modern times is deceptive. He attempts to manipulate his reader into accepting the alleged superiority of assimilating foreigners into relatively homogeneous and distinct populations - bound together through sharing common histories and blood over the ages - (as opposed to multiculturalism, but still with the same outcome...), implying that assimilation of foreign elements adds to national cohesion and identity... when in reality, as we see today in most of the world, it leads to social breakdown and friction and loss of identity.

As it follows, this is very well said :
    That sort of thing must be left to people who talk about the Anglo-Saxon race, and extend the expression to America. How much of the blood of the Angles and Saxons (whoever they were) there remains in our mixed British, Roman, German, Dane, Norman, and Picard stock is a matter only interesting to wild antiquaries. And how much of that diluted blood can possibly remain in that roaring whirlpool of America into which a cataract of Swedes, Jews, Germans, Irishmen, and Italians is perpetually pouring, is a matter only interesting to lunatics.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Oh Mary, picking a fight with Mr Chesterton ? You have balls of steel my darling!

I don't believe Mr Chesterton is expounding a civic nationalist position, I do not read it so at least. And I do not think you can compare the age Mr Chesrton is discussing in regards to assimilation of foreigners &c., to this age. The process Mr Chesterton discusses is a very slow-going affair. It doesn't happen over night as it is happening today.
    [Signature Pending]

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-04-2013 @ 08:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul View Post
    I do not think you can compare the age Mr Chesrton is discussing in regards to assimilation of foreigners &c., to this age. The process Mr Chesterton discusses is a very slow-going affair. It doesn't happen over night as it is happening today.
    Men like Chesterton set the foundations for what we are experiencing today.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Bryant View Post
    Men like Chesterton set the foundations for what we are experiencing today.
    Justify this statement, please (I don't really agree with post #7, if that's the point your making?).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information