Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Different cultures of Apricity!

Last Online
    07-08-2019 @ 09:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    50% N/C Italian, 50% Corfiot
    Ancestry
    87.8 % Southern Euro, 10.4 % NW Euro, 0.7 % East Euro, 0.6 % Ashkenazi, 0.3 % East Asian, 0.1 % MENA
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Emilia Romagna
    Y-DNA
    R1b - U152
    mtDNA
    X2D
    Hero
    Chuck Yeager
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,547
    Given: 980

22 Not allowed!

Cool Different cultures of Apricity!

Here is my impression of the best and worst of every culture on Apricity, as I see it. Feel free to add, but you must add a best and worst.

Greeks -
    Best: Love to talk about their rich and colorful history! It seems that even the average Greek has a working knowledge of ancient + modern Greek history.
    Worst: Tend to take things too personally. So used to defending themselves that they will take even a minor criticism or historical question as a personal attack.

Germans + Scandinavians-
    Best: Bring there bright minds and analytical nature to add well reasoned arguments to many threads.
    Worst: Can come off as condescending when angered, in a superiority complex sort of way.

Hungarian
    All I have to go off is Stears.. and well.. I don't feel like going there.

Balkans (Albanians, Serbians, Bosnians, Bulgarians)
    Best: Very active! Always willing to contribute to any topic and discussion with enthusiasm.
    Worst: Turn to insults really quickly.. old feuds die hard.

British + Dutch (Behave similarly, I know they are different).
    Best: For the most part respectful, active, and love to talk about european history. Some of my favorite posters from this group always with interesting threads (eg. Gooding)
    Worst: Kind of like Germans.

French
    Best: Same as British + Dutch.
    Worst: Hmm not much to go on, haven't noticed that much. Sometimes a few posters insult Southern Euros to distance themselves from them.

Italians
    Best: Love to talk Italy . Obviously love their country very much and want other people to love it too.
    Worst: Super sensitive about being Southern Europeans. Popular target for trolls because of this. I personally wish South + North Italians would find a bit more common ground heh.

East Asians -
    Best: Very respectful.. love to participate in discussions.
    Worst: Honestly, all the ones of TA I have come across are very likeable.. nothing bad to say (eg. Zhaoyun).

North American (US, Can)
    Best: Love to talk about European history, european culture, european everything really! Gives them a way to connect with their past.
    Worst: Can be super militaristic and dogmatic about ethnicity and culture from their ancestral homelands (real or where theyd like them to be, usually UK and Germany). Some can get pretty dang insulting some times to other groups (eg. PrisonerofIce)

South American -
    Best: Same as North American.
    Worst: Can be super dogmatic about how they view South Europe

Spanish
    Best: Like Italians, they love Spain and it shows .
    Worst: Same as Greeks. Used to being targetted so super sensitive to it.

Turkish -
    Best: Very active, love to talk Turkey. Beautiful country with beautiful people, and love to show off their history.
    Worst: Home to the most active troll contingent on TA in my opinion.. targetting both euros and MENA alike.

Wadaad
    Best: Keeps it
    Worst: real
    Last edited by Journeyman26; 05-28-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Last Online
    07-08-2019 @ 09:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    50% N/C Italian, 50% Corfiot
    Ancestry
    87.8 % Southern Euro, 10.4 % NW Euro, 0.7 % East Euro, 0.6 % Ashkenazi, 0.3 % East Asian, 0.1 % MENA
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Emilia Romagna
    Y-DNA
    R1b - U152
    mtDNA
    X2D
    Hero
    Chuck Yeager
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,547
    Given: 980

0 Not allowed!

buuuump

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

2 Not allowed!

Multiculturalism has failed

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-06-2022 @ 11:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    English, Scots- Irish, Cajun French
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Martin Luther, Martin Chemnitz
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,664
    Given: 10,470

10 Not allowed!

Turks:
    Best: Always have interesting threads about their culture and the history of their people ( Gultekin).
    Worst: A few of them can be rude to those whose cultures were at one time subordinate to their Sultanate ( Greeks, Armenians), or to historical rivals ( Iranians).

Iranians:
    Best: Their deep devotion and knowledge of their past and their love of their people.
    Worst: Sometimes they can be quick to engage in a cyber battle with those they perceive as their enemies.

Chinese:
    Best: Their knowledge of current and historical events in China and just about everywhere else.
    Worst: When riled up, propensity to demolish all foes.

British ( and New Worlders of British descent )
    Best: Their engaging threads and sense of attention to detail in their descriptions, their love for their people and history.
    Worst: They can get really cold really fast when crossed.

Germans ( and New Worlders of German descent)
    Best: Forthright honesty and detailed knowledge of their topics.
    Worst: They can be very critical when they disagree with someone and express it bluntly.

Dutch ( and South African Boers):
    Best: Attention to detail, thorough knowledge of what they're posting about.
    Worst: Can be sarcastic and needling when crossed.

Italians ( and Italian New Worlders):
    Best: They're warm and friendly people ( Journeyman26), they're quite detailed in their critical analyses ( Sikeliot).
    Worst: Can fly into a passion when they feel their honor has been slighted.

Arabs ( and Arab New Worlders)
    Best: Their posts are thorough and informative, generally warm and friendly people.
    Worst: They can be relentless in exacting retribution when they feel their honor has been slighted.
    Multiethnic European New Worlders:
    Best: They are passionate about Europe and love their New World countries just as much.
    Worst: They can be somewhat intolerant of those who disagree with them.
    Spanish ( and Spanish New Worlders):
    Best: They love their country and are friendly people.
    Worst: They can be unforgiving to those they regard as their enemies.
    Christians:
    Best: They are friendly people who are willing to hear out the other side.
    Worst: They do not react well to criticism and the subgroups of Catholic and Protestant can be cruel to each other at times.
    Muslims:
    Best: They are friendly people much more visibly involved with their faith than many Christians.
    Worst: They can be defensive and quick to attack their enemies.
    Jews:
    Best: Tolerant and willing to hear out the other side.
    Worst: Consciously Jewish, you hear more about their history than their theology ( I don't know.. I'd just like to hear more about their religious tenets).
    Zoroastrians:
    Best: Proud of their country and protective of their people.
    Worst: They aren't too forthcoming about their beliefs either..
    Atheists:
    Best: They have a broad and detailed knowledge about their topics.
    Worst: They can sometimes act a little patronizing ( I guess that's true of everybody, though).

Last Online
    09-26-2015 @ 01:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Italian-American
    Ancestry
    Southern Italy
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Med
    Politics
    Mixed beliefs
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,407
    Given: 938

9 Not allowed!

You know, I really wish that people discussed their cultural traditions on here more than the genetic and taxonomy stuff. I just find that more interesting is all.

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
    You know, I really wish that people discussed their cultural traditions on here more than the genetic and taxonomy stuff. I just find that more interesting is all.
    That seems an easy enough request! For me and my family, while family means a lot, personal independence is treasured. We rarely hold family reunions, but when we do, we talk about current things happening in the family while the older people tell their stories about where the family is from, what their grandfathers and grandmothers did and we eat. There is always plenty of food and a lot of photo- ops. The men and the women tend to socialize among themselves. Those of us who go to church every Sunday might talk about our churches and the sermons we'd heard, while the atheists would discuss current events and politics with each other. Of course old family albums are brought out and we look at pictures of our great- great grandparents and we'd talk a very little bit about being English ( in the sense that X ancestor came from Shrewsbury or Gloucester).. love of Virginia seems to be something we all share in common. The older folks would talk about their aunts and uncles, where they came from, what they did and how their families connected with ours. When my sister Keli and I were growing up, we'd go to Sunday School and Church every Sunday and hang out at Granny McDonald's house in Falls Church for the afternoon. She would always make sure we were fed and welcomed us without question. She'd talk about her mother whenever I'd ask her and she spoke of the Pecot family in Louisiana and growing up Catholic. Her father, who was from Kentucky, was apparently very rarely around, so Granny couldn't tell me much about him. When we were very small, we'd visit Granny Gooding's house in Oakton every Saturday. She was more interested in talking with the grownups.. us kids were to be seen and not heard. The Goodings were a little stricter than the McDonalds, very old values.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-12-2024 @ 06:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,865
    Given: 7,349

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooding View Post
    That seems an easy enough request! For me and my family, while family means a lot, personal independence is treasured. We rarely hold family reunions, but when we do, we talk about current things happening in the family while the older people tell their stories about where the family is from, what their grandfathers and grandmothers did and we eat. There is always plenty of food and a lot of photo- ops. The men and the women tend to socialize among themselves. Those of us who go to church every Sunday might talk about our churches and the sermons we'd heard, while the atheists would discuss current events and politics with each other. Of course old family albums are brought out and we look at pictures of our great- great grandparents and we'd talk a very little bit about being English ( in the sense that X ancestor came from Shrewsbury or Gloucester).. love of Virginia seems to be something we all share in common. The older folks would talk about their aunts and uncles, where they came from, what they did and how their families connected with ours. When my sister Keli and I were growing up, we'd go to Sunday School and Church every Sunday and hang out at Granny McDonald's house in Falls Church for the afternoon. She would always make sure we were fed and welcomed us without question. She'd talk about her mother whenever I'd ask her and she spoke of the Pecot family in Louisiana and growing up Catholic. Her father, who was from Kentucky, was apparently very rarely around, so Granny couldn't tell me much about him. When we were very small, we'd visit Granny Gooding's house in Oakton every Saturday. She was more interested in talking with the grownups.. us kids were to be seen and not heard. The Goodings were a little stricter than the McDonalds, very old values.
    It's great that you have that connection with your extended family. My family is nothing like that. I knew a few relatives growing up, but we never had that strong family identity...probably representative of our general cultural differences (I'm a Midwesterner).

Banned
    Last Online
    06-12-2015 @ 08:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Goodbye
    Ethnicity
    Bye
    Country
    Israel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Here is my impression of the best and worst of every culture on Apricity, as I see it. Feel free to add, but you must add a best and worst.
    Meta-Ethnicity: Italo-Hellenic
    Ancestry: Italian, Greek
    Now I see why Roman Empire failed and collapsed... LOL...

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by UserName1 View Post
    It's great that you have that connection with your extended family. My family is nothing like that. I knew a few relatives growing up, but we never had that strong family identity...probably representative of our general cultural differences (I'm a Midwesterner).
    Well, my uncle Joe and his family still live in Loudoun and Fairfax Counties so we can see them every so often. I just described the first reunion since 1946 that happened the Summer of 2014, not long after I got back up to Virginia from Florida ( my divorce was common knowledge and my Uncle Calvin had just passed away, so those were topics we didn't discuss). It was really interesting to hear some of those stories.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Y-DNA
    O-M176
    Taxonomy
    CM-Pontid.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,796
    Given: 4,238

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessInside View Post
    Now I see why Roman Empire failed and collapsed... LOL...

I do not understand?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information