Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,664
    Given: 10,470

13 Not allowed!

Default My Cultural Heritage

A poster once mentioned that he might like to see more posts made about cultural traditions than taxonomy and I can respect that. This would be my admittedly minor contribution to help satisfy this interest. No one knows anyone better than him/ herself and sometimes what we do is so commonplace for us we don't even think of it as being " cultural," but simply what we do by force of habit, without calling it anything but routine. I'm writing in English, the language I was brought up in. My variant ( " accent," if you like) would be considered Southern American English. When I grew up, I went to school during the week and Church and Granny's house on Sundays. Like everybody else, I learned Virginian history in school, but I was so inured to it, I just thought of it as being part of school. I learned in a methodical, analytical way, to seek out credible sources. My family is generally close, with phone calls and occasional visits rare pleasures that are quite enjoyable. When I was growing up, those visits were far more frequent. In truth, the grandmothers on both sides of my family were the matriarchal glue that kept us all close.
    With their passing, one might say that the patriarch of my father's side of the family is my great uncle John, Granddad Gooding's younger brother. We certainly defer to him and make sure that any new and important person in our lives gets to meet the family as a whole. The Goodings have taken a far more dominant role in my life now than when I was younger, when I thought of them as rather distant, cool people, very formal indeed. I still go to church, albeit a different one than the one I attended as a child, one far more liturgical, one more geared to formal ceremony and a sacramental character. My daily devotionals include reading the Bible, Concordia, the Book of Lutheran Confessions and reading prayers from the Lutheran Prayer Book. I do this twice a day with a time set aside exclusively for prayer just before I go to bed.
    My cultural heritage has bequeathed to me a great love of learning, reading and appreciating literature and an occasional indulgence in a play or two. Seasonal traditions include apple picking in the Fall ( Autumn), driving up and down Skyline Drive to see the mountain vistas and to stop at local restaurants to enjoy their food. Thanksgiving is fairly modest, with a Thanksgiving Turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce and bread rolls, with pumpkin pie for dessert. Our family will sometimes come together in the late fall, with my Uncle Joe's house usually being the focal point where we all meet. Every now and then the McDonalds will hold a family reunion that will involve a potluck and a hotel where we all congregate. That reunion is normally held in the old town of the McDonald family, Huntsville, Tennessee. An eight hour drive for three days of eating, touring old cemeteries and visiting distant cousins. Christmas is pretty traditional, with a Church service on Christmas Eve, a Christmas tree with ornaments and lights, stockings hung on the side of the railing and presents placed under the tree, with all the fallen pine needles.
    When I get restless, I usually drive out west or down south to the Appalachian mountains, to get some mountain air and see the many sights that are available. My family will occasionally drive out to Middleburg or Berryville for some fine dining and walks downtown. When I was a child, Easter had the traditional Easter Basket and my sister and I would dye Easter eggs and sometimes have a hunt. Today, Easter generally entails going to church and a card for the parents and a nice lunch.
    So, that's my cultural deal. There's also a sense of veneration for family history and heritage that exists in all families and very rarely will a family gathering not include at least a little discussion of ancestors and how different things were when the older folks were younger folks.

No Retreat No Surrender
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Chelovek Mira
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Washington
    Taxonomy
    black, muscular, and zero gay, 100kg bench, BBC
    Politics
    Third Position
    Hero
    Der Volkskanzler
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57,939
    Given: 58,640

1 Not allowed!

interesting information thanks for sharing, i might share a bit later too
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    I like thinking big. If you're going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big. Donald Trump
    Wir wollen endlich den Volkskanzler, schnauze voll von den Einheitsparteien

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-06-2022 @ 11:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    English, Scots- Irish, Cajun French
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Martin Luther, Martin Chemnitz
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    interesting information thanks for sharing, i might share a bit later too
    Sounds great!

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Anyone else?

Last Online
    11-05-2016 @ 09:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic And Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Western Europe, Ancient America, Northern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Kelto-Saxon
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Hero
    Mother Theresa
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,327
    Given: 3,452

4 Not allowed!

These are some of our cultural traditions before I graduated from high school. We spent holidays and special occasions with our relatives on my mom's side of the family. Everybody attended and supported the activities of the children and the dogs. These were things like sports, spelling bees, concerts, drama, dance recitals, church activities, graduations, weddings, birthday parties, new puppies, etc. We went to different churches. We sometimes had Sunday dinners together. We sometimes ate out at restaurants. There were some camping trips, cookouts, picnics and shared vacations.

We took trips to my grandparents' home, as well as other relatives who lived close to them. When I was very young, most people would play and sing music. We sometimes hiked in the mountains. We ate at our favorite local joints.

No Retreat No Surrender
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Chelovek Mira
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Washington
    Taxonomy
    black, muscular, and zero gay, 100kg bench, BBC
    Politics
    Third Position
    Hero
    Der Volkskanzler
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57,939
    Given: 58,640

5 Not allowed!

very interesting what you guys tell here. and very nice i like how you guys grew up with church service and family reunions etc.

when i was a child, i spend lots of time watching TV (star trek, 90s sitcoms like fresh prince of bel air and bill cosby show and all the others, cartoons), i spend time reading books (often fairy tales and legends), also i often drove the bycycle basically went everywhere with the bycycle and spend lots of time with the bycycle, sometimes i played football with other kids but i was never very outgoing/social i spend more time alone watching TV, reading books. i like philosophical discussions with grown ups, my dad for example or my former neighbour who was a religion teacher, i went during week to school. i went to church only very rare if its christmas for example and then also not always maybe every second year. christmas and easter were family celebrations with my parents and my younger sister, with christmas tree and presents and a rich meal. in the summer holidays i would spend a month at my maternal grandparents house (as my paternal grandparents died when i was born). my mum has a big family, she has 4 siblings (2 brothers and 2 sisters). i never liked it really and missed my parents, and it was a grey world dont know how to explain but i experienced it as somehow grey or black and white, very monoton and boring nothing exciting happened except that we watched serials from Southamerica, my favourite of all when i was child at my grandparents house was kasandra http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassandra_%28TV_series%29
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    I like thinking big. If you're going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big. Donald Trump
    Wir wollen endlich den Volkskanzler, schnauze voll von den Einheitsparteien

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I forgot to mention what went on while I visited Granny McDonald's house. As I'm sure most of you already know, my grandmother was half French Cajun. She herself simply considered her mother and her mother's family French, " pure French." She was also raised as a Catholic, like her mother and her brothers were. She went to St. Joseph's Catholic School in Washington, D.C.. Her mother spoke French and English and apparently her grandparents only spoke French. Cajun French, to be sure, but Granny just called it French. Granny had the chance to learn French, but she declined, although I think her older brothers knew the language. Her mother compiled a scrapbook that I inherited when she died ( together with an old crucifix that she had on the wall, a picture of the Sacred Heart and a painting of the Last Supper. She also had a rosary with pearl beads and a Latin prayer book. Granny and I would watch the Catholic Channel, EWTN, together and she got a kick out of watching Mother Angelica. She was married to Granddad by a Justice of the Peace in Rockville, Maryland. She was baptized Baptist with her husband and their two daughters decades before and when she was still mobile, she'd go to church with us. She never forgot her French Catholic roots, though. I made some snide offhand comment about the French once, because I heard a joke some high school kids made about a French Canadian student. Granny asked me simply, with a trembling voice, as if she was about to cry, " aren't you proud to have a little French in you?" I never made a comment about the French or any of their American descendants in America as a negative ever again, not in her hearing and not out of it. I even tried to connect the Cornett family to France, even though they came here from England. I became the most avid Francophile in the world, which seems to have amused my grandmother to no end. I never made an anti- Catholic comment, either, although my father did. When I was confirmed in the Catholic Church in 1995 at age 21, he was livid, but my grandmother sure was proud of me. Her guiding wish for all of her family was that they be happy. When she died in 1996, it was a time of great grief.. I just couldn't cry. My mother and sister did, profusely, but I was simply numb.. I stood apart from my Mom, Dad and sister and simply looked at them. I guess I was walking in a haze. It was nearly a decade after my grandmother's death when one of her great- nephews, Alex, contacted us so he could get copies from that scrapbook to post online. We gave us access to Pecot and Cornett family information in exchange and it was a pretty good trade- off. As nice as all that data on family history goes, though, nothing can beat that time Granny sat in her chair and I sat on the couch while she told her stories about visiting her grandparents when she was a little girl or attending a Mardi Gras in that little town her mother came from. Granny was like a third parent.. her father had separated from her mother and she could tell us very little about him, except that he was from Kentucky. That, and that he invested in an oil well in Louisiana which all his descendants split between them. Mom gets an annual check for a dollar from that. I'll be pissed if I don't get my annual .25 when the time comes. I want that damn oil quarter, you see. She was fun to hang out with on Christmas, too. We'd always spend time with her on Christmas morning.
    Last edited by Gooding; 05-31-2015 at 05:18 AM.

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,860
    Given: 7,347

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooding View Post
    I forgot to mention what went on while I visited Granny McDonald's house. As I'm sure most of you already know, my grandmother was half French Cajun. She herself simply considered her mother and her mother's family French, " pure French." She was also raised as a Catholic, like her mother and her brother's were. She went to St. Joseph's Catholic School in Washington, D.C.. Her mother spoke French and English and apparently her grandparents only spoke French. Cajun French, to be sure, but Granny just called it French. Granny had the chance to learn French, but she declined, although I think her older brothers knew the language. Her mother compiled a scrapbook that I inherited when she died ( together with an old crucifix that she had on the wall, a picture of the Sacred Heart and a painting of the Last Supper. She also had a rosary with pearl beads and a Latin prayer book. Granny and I would watch the Catholic Channel, EWTN, together and she got a kick out of watching Mother Angelica. She was married to Granddad by a Justice of the Peace in Rockville, Maryland. She was baptized Baptist with her husband and their two daughters decades before and when she was still mobile, she'd go to church with us. She never forgot her French Catholic roots, though. I made some snide offhand comment about the French once, because I heard a joke some high school kids made about a French Canadian student. Granny asked me simply, with a trembling voice, as if she was about to cry, " aren't you proud to have a little French in you?" I never made a comment about the French or any of their American descendants in America as a negative ever again, not in her hearing and not out of it. I even tried to connect the Cornett family to France, even though they came here from England. I became the most avid Francophile in the world, which seems to have amused my grandmother to no end. I never made an anti- Catholic comment, either, although my father did. When I was confirmed in the Catholic Church in 1995 at age 21, he was livid, but my grandmother sure was proud of me. Her guiding wish for all of her family was that they be happy. When she died in 1996, it was a time of great grief.. I just couldn't cry. My mother and sister did, profusely, but I was simply numb.. I stood apart from my Mom, Dad and sister and simply looked at them. I guess I was walking in a haze. It was nearly a decade after my grandmother's death when one of her great- nephews, Alex, contacted us so he could get copies from that scrapbook to post online. We gave us access to Pecot and Cornett family information in exchange and it was a pretty good trade- off. As nice as all that data on family history goes, though, nothing can beat that time Granny sat in her chair and I sat on the couch while she told her stories about visiting her grandparents when she was a little girl or attending a Mardi Gras in that little town her mother came from. Granny was like a third parent.. her father had separated from her mother and she could tell us very little about him, except that he was from Kentucky. That, and that he invested in an oil well in Louisiana which all his descendants split between them. Mom gets an annual check for a dollar from that. I'll be pissed if I don't get my annual .25 when the time comes. I want that damn oil quarter, you see. She was fun to hang out with on Christmas, too. We'd always spend time with her on Christmas morning.
    That explains your being a Catholic at one point. I read that on another thread and wondered what a good Southerner was doing following after the Jezebel that is the Catholic Church.

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    That explains your being a Catholic at one point. I read that on another thread and wondered what a good Southerner was doing following after the Jezebel that is the Catholic Church.
    Just doin' the Cajun thing.. I became disillusioned with the Catholic Church when I went to Florida and found both St. Joseph's Parish in Jacksonville and San Sebastian's Catholic Church in St. Augustine more concerned with raising money for their school than addressing their constituents' religious concerns..oh, they celebrated Mass and had Confession to be sure, but I felt like I was on an assembly line after awhile. It was very lonely.. I didn't know anybody but my wife and she was from a virulently anti- Catholic Texan family.. we'd have arguments all the way home from Mass. Every Sunday. All fucking day. I made friends and had my liturgy too when I joined Hope Lutheran Church. The Real Presence in Communion, private Confession and Absolution, volunteer work as a Reader during Divine Service and once serving as a Sunday School teacher.. I'm a hundred times more active as a Lutheran than ever I was as a Catholic.. I still get to use the Sign of the Cross as a remembrance of my Holy Baptism, too, when the Service begins, after I take Communion and when it ends. I guess when I said " Lord, guide me to the Church I can be most effective in and can do the most good," that's where I was led.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information