Thread: My Cultural Heritage

Last Online
    01-28-2018 @ 11:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    White, cis gender shit lord
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon/Celt-WASP A pariah of the west.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Brittany
    Politics
    The power of Kek
    Religion
    God Emperor
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,428
    Given: 28,057

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooding View Post
    Just doin' the Cajun thing.. I became disillusioned with the Catholic Church when I went to Florida and found both St. Joseph's Parish in Jacksonville and San Sebastian's Catholic Church in St. Augustine more concerned with raising money for their school than addressing their constituents' religious concerns..oh, they celebrated Mass and had Confession to be sure, but I felt like I was on an assembly line after awhile. It was very lonely.. I didn't know anybody but my wife and she was from a virulently anti- Catholic Texan family.. we'd have arguments all the way home from Mass. Every Sunday. All fucking day. I made friends and had my liturgy too when I joined Hope Lutheran Church. The Real Presence in Communion, private Confession and Absolution, volunteer work as a Reader during Divine Service and once serving as a Sunday School teacher.. I'm a hundred times more active as a Lutheran than ever I was as a Catholic.. I still get to use the Sign of the Cross as a remembrance of my Holy Baptism, too, when the Service begins, after I take Communion and when it ends. I guess when I said " Lord, guide me to the Church I can be most effective in and can do the most good," that's where I was led.
    The catholic church here is more concerned with assisting local Spanish speakers than doing anything to combat the problems within the church. Infact st peters is now st pedros. The very church my grand parents built has become something else. I don't go to church anymore.
    ''Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society''- Aristotle

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-12-2024 @ 06:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,865
    Given: 7,349

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooding View Post
    Just doin' the Cajun thing.. I became disillusioned with the Catholic Church when I went to Florida and found both St. Joseph's Parish in Jacksonville and San Sebastian's Catholic Church in St. Augustine more concerned with raising money for their school than addressing their constituents' religious concerns..oh, they celebrated Mass and had Confession to be sure, but I felt like I was on an assembly line after awhile. It was very lonely.. I didn't know anybody but my wife and she was from a virulently anti- Catholic Texan family.. we'd have arguments all the way home from Mass. Every Sunday. All fucking day. I made friends and had my liturgy too when I joined Hope Lutheran Church. The Real Presence in Communion, private Confession and Absolution, volunteer work as a Reader during Divine Service and once serving as a Sunday School teacher.. I'm a hundred times more active as a Lutheran than ever I was as a Catholic.. I still get to use the Sign of the Cross as a remembrance of my Holy Baptism, too, when the Service begins, after I take Communion and when it ends. I guess when I said " Lord, guide me to the Church I can be most effective in and can do the most good," that's where I was led.
    The fundraising bugs me too. I realize churches need money, but I'd respect them more if they let donors come to them rather than chasing them down with a bag or a basket at every service.

Is your Lutheran church more traditional or liberal? My mom grew up Lutheran, but later converted to evangelicalism. She's very anti-Lutheran now due to its liberalism, both theological and political...not sure if that applies to your strain.

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-06-2022 @ 11:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    English, Scots- Irish, Cajun French
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Martin Luther, Martin Chemnitz
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,664
    Given: 10,470

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    The fundraising bugs me too. I realize churches need money, but I'd respect them more if they let donors come to them rather than chasing them down with a bag or a basket at every service.

Is your Lutheran church more traditional or liberal? My mom grew up Lutheran, but later converted to evangelicalism. She's very anti-Lutheran now due to its liberalism, both theological and political...not sure if that applies to your strain.
    My Lutheran Church is very traditional. www.lcms.org. The ELCA no longer has any right to call itself Lutheran in my opinion. They've allied themselves with the more liberal elements of churches traditionally opposed to us, practice open communion and they care more about liberal theology and endless " interpretations" rather than just going by the Confessions. www.elca.org.

Banned Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik's Avatar
    Last Online
    11-16-2018 @ 10:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germano-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Irish, German & Scandinavian-American
    Ancestry
    Irish, German, Swedish, Norwegian
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    U2e1a
    Taxonomy
    KN/Alpinid or KN/minor Baltid
    Politics
    Left-wing
    Religion
    Atheist/philosophical Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,239
    Given: 10,259

1 Not allowed!

It is cool that you are Lutheran, I was baptized Lutheran...
    right now I'm just a non-denominational Christian and that's how it should be for me

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grünmann View Post
    It is cool that you are Lutheran, I was baptized Lutheran...
    right now I'm just a non-denominational Christian and that's how it should be for me
    That's awesome. I hope you get a lot out of your church.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germano-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    U2e1a
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Left-wing
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun1/8 View Post
    That's awesome. I hope you get a lot out of your church.
    I most certainly do, and that church would be my home. I am not a church goer I pray in my home, the way I see it it does not matter, as longas you pray it's not like God can only see it when you are doing it in a church!

But I am thinking maybe one of these days I'll go to a church! I do like being social. Eh, I would probably go to a Catholic church, I don't like the Portestant churches that much I'm not sure if there are any like yours around here. I like how the Catholics do their thing, a lot more traditional which I like...of course I am happy I am not a Catholic but what I am saying is I think I like going to their churches the most. I have been to some churches and my most favorite one I've ever been to was a Catholic church.

You have to look out for the priests, though, that Catholic church that I went to, the priest ended up getting in a lot of trouble...he was a pedo.

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I most certainly do, and that church would be my home. I am not a church goer I pray in my home, the way I see it it does not matter, as longas you pray it's not like God can only see it when you are doing it in a church!

But I am thinking maybe one of these days I'll go to a church! I do like being social. Eh, I would probably go to a Catholic church, I don't like the Portestant churches that much I'm not sure if there are any like yours around here. I like how the Catholics do their thing, a lot more traditional which I like...of course I am happy I am not a Catholic but what I am saying is I think I like going to their churches the most. I have been to some churches and my most favorite one I've ever been to was a Catholic church.

You have to look out for the priests, though, that Catholic church that I went to, the priest ended up getting in a lot of trouble...he was a pedo.
    Interesting.. the priest who confirmed me wound up running off with another man's wife and taking a job as an Episcopal rector. That was hushed up for years, of course. It came out years later.. I never could figure out why he left so quickly and nobody was talking. Then I find this out online after several years.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germano-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    U2e1a
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Left-wing
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Interesting.. the priest who confirmed me wound up running off with another man's wife and taking a job as an Episcopal rector. That was hushed up for years, of course. It came out years later.. I never could figure out why he left so quickly and nobody was talking. Then I find this out online after several years.
    Interesting...anyways my dad is a Catholic so I know Catholics very well my whole Irish Catholic family on my Dad's side my Mother is Lutheran.

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Interesting...anyways my dad is a Catholic so I know Catholics very well my whole Irish Catholic family on my Dad's side my Mother is Lutheran.
    Oh, okay. So you're roughly about half Irish Gaelic, then? Does Ireland have some kind of birthright citizenship you could claim through your father?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germano-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    U2e1a
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Left-wing
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

My aunt converted to Lutheranism, though, and my Grandmother who was a McPhillips was very upset. She wanted us all to be Catholics she would accuse my aunt of being a Commie because around the same time she was converting to Lutheranism she was learning Russian...first she leaves the church, then she is a communist! Oh...it's very funny my grandmother was a great lady though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information