Thread: Tell about your impressions after the trip to Iceland.

Last Online
    08-15-2023 @ 07:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    North Slav
    Ancestry
    Northeastern European.
    Country
    Russia
    Region
    Moscow
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 69

0 Not allowed!

Default Tell about your impressions after the trip to Iceland.

People, who have ever been to Iceland, can you please tell us more about this beautiful North country.
    Especially, about local people.

Last Online
    07-08-2019 @ 09:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    50% N/C Italian, 50% Corfiot
    Ancestry
    87.8 % Southern Euro, 10.4 % NW Euro, 0.7 % East Euro, 0.6 % Ashkenazi, 0.3 % East Asian, 0.1 % MENA
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Emilia Romagna
    Y-DNA
    R1b - U152
    mtDNA
    X2D
    Hero
    Chuck Yeager
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,547
    Given: 980

2 Not allowed!

I have never been.. but I have always wanted to. Near where is live is the town of Gimli, Manitoba, and it is the largest community of people from Iceland outside of Iceland. They have a festival every year called Islendingadagurinn where there is all sorts of viking themed everything.. it is really cool. Well, usually we just get super drunk and smash our beer stein thingies together while yelling like vikings but it is still fun

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    British Isles
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland, Scotland, & Wales
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    I-M223, R-L48
    mtDNA
    H27, V4
    Taxonomy
    Celtic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,213
    Given: 5,756

3 Not allowed!

I've been a couple of times in the last 18 months, and I really like it there . Even the drive from the airport to Reykjavik is through lava fields with a barren landscape that looks like it should be on the moon. The city of Reykjavik looks across water to mountains, often snow covered, and if the light is just right you can see distant glaciers. The city has lots of nice restaurants and cafes too, and because the population is low it all feels very local and cosy.

Outside of the city there are lots of natural hot pools, glaciers, mountains, as well as geysers and of course volcanoes. Apparently when a volcano started erupting not long ago, people were taking sausages up to cook over the lava . I've been horse riding a couple of times there, I love the Icelandic horses. One year I'd like to join in the annual sheep round-up, when farmers and helpers ride out into the mountains for a week or so to gather all the sheep together at the end of summer.

I also went to a folk museum when I was there last and it was fascinating to see the old, harsh way of life there where families were often cut off for months and ate just dry salt fish. They also had things like ice skates made from whale bones, and old tools, decorations etc made from whatever materials were available.

There's also a lot of mythology around elves there; when I was out riding I saw a little hut built of stones on top of a cliff top, which was apparently an elf temple. There was also a cave, which has the legend that lost travellers will be welcomed to shelter there if they have a good soul. There are folk stories of new road routes having to be redesigned after machinery meant to cut a path through elven land just stopped working, and replacement machinery also stopped working when it arrived.

I'm actually going back again in just over a week . I'll be there around summer solstice and 24-hour sunlight. One of my closest friends moved there a couple of years ago so I stay with her, and this time another one of my best friends (her sister) is also going to be there, so we're possibly going to hire a car and drive around the island a bit. I can't wait

The people are very friendly and welcoming too, my friend had no problems settling in and making friends. I've been out with them a few times and they seem to have a similar sense of humour to us. I like them .

Thread Information