mtDNA
    H27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Nope, I only did 23andme. Bit on GEDmatch I score quite high
    Gedmatch I've had significant "Eastern" numbers, but it all so depends on the test that you take there. I've always found their interpretation to be a bit too open for my taste, but finding correlation from them can be particularly useful. Is there a particular test that you would recommend? One of the Eurogenes one?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus27 View Post
    Gedmatch I've had significant "Eastern" numbers, but it all so depends on the test that you take there. I've always found their interpretation to be a bit too open for my taste, but finding correlation from them can be particularly useful. Is there a particular test that you would recommend? One of the Eurogenes one?
    Yes, GEDmatch is excellent, but amateur work after all. For me it works really well.

Eurogenes K13 and K15 work best for Europeans imo, try Oracle mixed mode and 2,3,4, population references, you may find something there (if you haven't already). Good luck.

Last Online
    09-25-2022 @ 06:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    German, Irish, Polish, Scottish, English, French, Dutch
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Michigan
    Y-DNA
    R1B-L48
    mtDNA
    H27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Yes, GEDmatch is excellent, but amateur work after all. For me it works really well.

Eurogenes K13 and K15 work best for Europeans imo, try Oracle mixed mode and 2,3,4, population references, you may find something there (if you haven't already). Good luck.
    I've looked many times but there is always a chance that I missed something. Appreciate the help and feedback

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Trinidad-and-Tobago
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,016
    Given: 1,369

0 Not allowed!

Just curious, what is your 1% non-Euro?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,538
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

I'm convinced our Eastern European breakdown is vastly underestimated on 23andme. They divide Slovenian samples from the rest of Balkans which is ridiculous because that makes Slovenia an isolate. It's sandwiched between Italy, Austria and Croatia. Are we supposed to believe that Slovenia is some kind of Eastern European island that maintained their Slavic purity despite their neighbors? I believe the simplest explanation is usually the right answer. In this case, it's 23andme underestimating Eastern European ancestry and that's the result of inventing the Balkan category. I can't wait for my AncestryDNA results because I'm definitely convinced 23andme has got it so wrong. If my results which is 68% "Balkan" on 23andme translates into something like 50% or more Eastern European on AncestryDNA then 23andme is definitely fucking with the results.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-10-2015 @ 09:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    Dardania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    U4d2, U5a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,486
    Given: 3,662

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Polk View Post

Are we supposed to believe that Slovenia is some kind of Eastern European island that maintained their Slavic purity despite their neighbors?
    Remember Stefan's thread "Balkan genetics", slovenians and bosniaks were the most eastern plotting.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    Remember Stefan's thread "Balkan genetics", slovenians and bosniaks were the most eastern plotting.
    I'm sure they're more Slavic than Bulgarians but it just further proves that the Balkan category is bullshit. Breaking down the Balkan category into Eastern European and Albania/Greece would just show how Slavic most Greeks are. I think that's why they invented the category.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Polk View Post

I'm convinced our Eastern European breakdown is vastly underestimated on 23andme. They divide Slovenian samples from the rest of Balkans which is ridiculous because that makes Slovenia an isolate. It's sandwiched between Italy, Austria and Croatia. Are we supposed to believe that Slovenia is some kind of Eastern European island that maintained their Slavic purity despite their neighbors? I believe the simplest explanation is usually the right answer. In this case, it's 23andme underestimating Eastern European ancestry and that's the result of inventing the Balkan category. I can't wait for my AncestryDNA results because I'm definitely convinced 23andme has got it so wrong. If my results which is 68% "Balkan" on 23andme translates into something like 50% or more Eastern European on AncestryDNA then 23andme is definitely fucking with the results.
    Their divisions are quite poor, but remember that ''Eastern European'' doesn't mean Slavic genes. All kinds of admixture are included in it, and Slovenia is not isolated, it borders Hungary which is in Eastern European cathegory as well. In ''Balkan'' samples are Slavic, Old Balkan, Celtic etc component, it is simply labeled as such. GEDmatch works best to determine how Slavic, southern European or whatever you are. You should remmber that 23andme breakdown is a simple geographic one, and not genetic, except for isolated groups like Finns or Sardinians. IMO.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-10-2015 @ 09:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    Dardania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    U4d2, U5a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,486
    Given: 3,662

1 Not allowed!

Their divisions are quite poor, but remember that ''Eastern European'' doesn't mean Slavic genes. All kinds of admixture are included in it, and Slovenia is not isolated, it borders Hungary which is in Eastern European cathegory as well. In ''Balkan'' samples are Slavic, Old Balkan, Celtic etc component, it is simply labeled as such. GEDmatch works best to determine how Slavic, southern European or whatever you are. You should remmber that 23andme breakdown is a simple geographic one, and not genetic, except for isolated groups like Finns or Sardinians. IMO.
    Good points. Also a lot of "Baltic" that south slavs score on eurogenes can be pre-slavic indo european. Many members use Albanian/Greeks results as an example of old balkan, but they will obviously be more varied than that.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

That's why I'm complaining because some people here are treating results from 23andme like gospel when it's obvious that there are tons of flaws with their ancestry composition. I decided to do an AncestryDNA test because their breakdown seem to be more pointed. I'm also curious if there will be a significant variation on GEDmatch when I upload my AncestryDNA raw file.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information