"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    French & German
    Ancestry
    Aquitània (Maternal), Vörpommern (Paternal)
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Nordomediterranid + Minor Dinaroid (Agrippa)
    Politics
    Neo-Feudalist; Neu-Ordenstaat / Aristocratist
    Religion
    Esoteric Traditionalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Montreal Named One Of World's Happiest Cities

Lonely Planet travel guide calls the city ‘clean, welcoming and refreshingly multicultural’ (lol)

July 29 2010(Globe & Mail) Montrealers can smile knowing their city is considered one of the world's top 10 happiest places.

Canada's second-biggest city has made the list compiled by the popular travel guide Lonely Planet.

Montreal is the second place named on the list, just under the South Pacific island paradise of Vanuatu.

While considerably colder than that far-flung tropical locale, Montreal apparently has a few other things going for it.

Lonely Planet says the city has several attributes — especially in the summer, when it hosts one of the world's biggest comedy festivals.

“Clean, welcoming and refreshingly multicultural, Montreal is happy enough year-round,” it says.

“Come July, though, it's downright hilarious. Just For Laughs takes over the city in summer, packing venues with the best in both Anglo and Francophone comedy.”

Montreal was the only Canadian place named on the list, which includes spots in China, Japan, Colombia, and Africa.

Bhutan is described as a “jovial,” “Himalayan Shangri-La.”

Colombia is becoming increasingly safe, contrary to its reputation and violent history, says the guide; a visit to its Caribbean coast, coffee plantations and carnival parties is described as “infectious and uplifting.”

Wuyi Shan, China, is “a realm of secret valleys splashed with waterfalls and pocked with mysterious caves.”

Malawi is described as “the warm heart of Africa,” where visitors are greeted with “effusive grins.”

But it's tough to beat Vanuatu.

“Many a human's idea of blissful living involves swinging in a palm-strung hammock while the ocean swooshes gently onto a white-sand beach nearby,” Lonely Planet says.

“The water's ridiculously blue and teeming with life; the interior's lush and volcanically rumbling, great for exploring amid the breadfruit trees.

“But it's the sense of community that makes this a truly happy place.”

This cheerful list comes after Montreal found itself frowning over some of the headlines it generated in recent months.

There was some hockey-related vandalism during the spring; last fall, Maclean's magazine ran a cover story about the city's mayoral election with the headline, “Montreal is a corrupt, crumbling, mob-ridden disgrace.”

While the happiness list was originally published in May, it was picked up today by the popular U.S. website the Huffington Post, where it is generating some discussion and debate.

The page featuring Montreal includes a picture of two young men — their faces painted red, white and blue — wearing Montreal Canadiens jerseys.

There was some debate on a number of the locations included and on many excluded from the list.

As for Montreal, one person on the Lonely Planet website wrote: “Really glad to see a Canadian city included since I am originally from there.”

And someone else offered a more philosophical measure of bliss.

“Happiness is anywhere you happen to be — with good health, good company, and a fat wallet in your pocket.”
    "Free, do you call yourself? Then I would hear your ruling thought, and not merely that you have escaped from a yoke. Are you one of those who had the right to escape from a yoke? Many a one has cast away his last worth when he has cast away his servitude. Free from what? What does that matter to Zarathustra! But your fiery eyes should tell me: free for what?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-07-2014 @ 05:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    HispanoRoman-IberoAquitanian-Suevian
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    Autocrat and Antiglobalization Traditionalist
    Religion
    Roman-Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 29

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Delegado Cero View Post
    refreshingly multicultural
    Yeah, the few occassions I walked into our brand new multicultural city guettos, I used to feel a strangely refreshing sensation on my mouth, like if I was eating an ice-cream, unfortunatelly I could no indulging much on it, Im too occupied analyzing all the strange people I crossed trying to discriminate criminals from simply ugly or unellegant ones.

А на красивые фантики клюют даже отпетые &#108 nisse's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-17-2010 @ 07:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Politics
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

Hard to believe that there is a happy place anywhere in China...don't they get put in jail for having too much fun?

Numinous Theurgist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    French & German
    Ancestry
    Aquitània (Maternal), Vörpommern (Paternal)
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Nordomediterranid + Minor Dinaroid (Agrippa)
    Politics
    Neo-Feudalist; Neu-Ordenstaat / Aristocratist
    Religion
    Esoteric Traditionalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49

0 Not allowed!

Re: Montreal -- Having lived there for several years of my life I can tell you; the streets smell like shit, there's way too many people living on the streets (unacceptable) and the Hell's Angels basically have the run of the town.
    "Free, do you call yourself? Then I would hear your ruling thought, and not merely that you have escaped from a yoke. Are you one of those who had the right to escape from a yoke? Many a one has cast away his last worth when he has cast away his servitude. Free from what? What does that matter to Zarathustra! But your fiery eyes should tell me: free for what?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-07-2014 @ 05:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    HispanoRoman-IberoAquitanian-Suevian
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    Autocrat and Antiglobalization Traditionalist
    Religion
    Roman-Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 29

0 Not allowed!

Re: Montreal -- Having lived there for several years of my life I can tell you; the streets smell like shit, there's way too many people living on the streets (unacceptable) and the Hell's Angels basically have the run of the town.
    Umm, really refreshing!

Burning in the Melting Pot Wölfin's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-23-2012 @ 09:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Canidae
    Ethnicity
    Canis Lupus
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Rhineland
    Taxonomy
    Lycaon (Aterum)
    Politics
    #swag
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

0 Not allowed!

LOL it doesn't stink everywhere. But Montreal as a whole? Meh. I never really wander from the "good" parts of town. I'd be terrified of Montreal North where they Haitian ghetto trash * walks around acting like their the bloods and crips or some ridiculous shit like that. I like the Plateau Mont-Royal though, Outremont, the Mile End etc. Gay village is alright as is most of down town. The rest isn't worth a visit though.

Anyway I've decided to move 2-3 years from now. That will be that. Its a good city for young people and students and for gays. Not so much for serious people.

* I wanted to specify not all Haitians are ghetto trash, which is why I needed to highlight that it was the ghetto trash specifically I was talking about. I've met a few respectable Haitians including some of European descent.
    There'll be no diversity if we end up burning in the Melting pot...

Prendre la lune par les dents MagnaLaurentia's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-07-2012 @ 03:12 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gallo-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Québécois
    Ancestry
    French, Irish and Italian
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Souverainisme
    Religion
    Catholique
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

0 Not allowed!

Street smell like shit? LOL seriously... where?

St-Michel or Montréal-Nord (haitian ghetto)?
    Côte-des-Neiges (multiethnic, paki, jew, asian ghetto)?
    Centre-ville (punk, homeless... you know what? they are 75% of time anglo-canadian whitetrash who think Montréal is "cool" and a "good" place to live like bohemian)?
    Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (Quebecois whitetrash "ghetto" + ex-headquarters of the Hell's Angels)?

Okay maybe... but what do you think of Mercier, Anjou, Pointe-Aux-Trembles, Rosemont, St-Léonard, Ahuntsic? I live in Mercier and I never see homeless people, street not smell like shit, very peaceful (no Hell's, no street gang)...

Every city have their poors neighborhoods, crime gangs, immigrants... all city in the north america and europe are like that... In my point of view Montreal smell much better than New York or Paris. Just Côte-des-Neiges is exception to the rules because the paki and south-asian have no concept of hygiene. I've been in this neighborhood last month. For me it was a real shock: Nobody speak French and it's really dirty.

You see for me (a guy from the east of Montreal) ... I felt no more in Montreal.

Oh btw... the Hell's Angels is over... they are all in jail and too old. Today, you have street gang of Haitian, mainly.

Burning in the Melting Pot Wölfin's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-23-2012 @ 09:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Canidae
    Ethnicity
    Canis Lupus
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Rhineland
    Taxonomy
    Lycaon (Aterum)
    Politics
    #swag
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaLaurentia View Post
    Street smell like shit? LOL seriously... where?

St-Michel or Montréal-Nord (haitian ghetto)?
    Côte-des-Neiges (multiethnic, paki, jew, asian ghetto)?
    Centre-ville (punk, homeless... you know what? they are 75% of time anglo-canadian whitetrash who think Montréal is "cool" and a "good" place to live like bohemian)?
    Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (Quebecois whitetrash "ghetto" + ex-headquarters of the Hell's Angels)?

Okay maybe... but what do you think of Mercier, Anjou, Pointe-Aux-Trembles, Rosemont, St-Léonard, Ahuntsic? I live in Mercier and I never see homeless people, street not smell like shit, very peaceful (no Hell's, no street gang)...

Every city have their poors neighborhoods, crime gangs, immigrants... all city in the north america and europe are like that... In my point of view Montreal smell much better than New York or Paris. Just Côte-des-Neiges is exception to the rules because the paki and south-asian have no concept of hygiene. I've been in this neighborhood last month. For me it was a real shock: Nobody speak French and it's really dirty.

You see for me (a guy from the east of Montreal) ... I felt no more in Montreal.

Oh btw... the Hell's Angels is over... they are all in jail and too old. Today, you have street gang of Haitian, mainly.
    Agree with you, but don't forget some of the Western neighbourhoods as well
    There'll be no diversity if we end up burning in the Melting pot...

Prendre la lune par les dents MagnaLaurentia's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-07-2012 @ 03:12 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gallo-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Québécois
    Ancestry
    French, Irish and Italian
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Souverainisme
    Religion
    Catholique
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anterosa View Post
    Agree with you, but don't forget some of the Western neighbourhoods as well
    I'm too proud to admit it!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 10:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic/Latin
    Ethnicity
    White CARIBBEAN
    Ancestry
    Germany,Italy, England,Sweden France,
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

i have read lonely planet books and they have much good info but they in same ways can be full of shit and way off but as far as travel books go i dont think you can get much better information wise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information