England keeper David James signs one-year deal with Bristol City

David James has agreed a move to Bristol City on a one-year deal after turning down Celtic.

The veteran keeper moved to the west country on a free transfer after leaving Portsmouth and acknowledged it might be seen as a surprise for him to drop down to the Championship.

"I've had offers to stay in the Premier League but it is more important that I play football - which I love - for the right club and be a family man," he told City's official website.

James also admitted he was excited by future plans for the club that had been outlined by the club chairman.

"I had a long conversation with the chairman Steve Lansdown yesterday and I liked what he said about the club and his ambition. I know all about the plans for a new stadium and desire to win promotion to the Premier League.

"The club is ambitious and that's what I am. The south west has not had a club in the Premier League and that needs to change."

The 39-year-old passed a medical at Ashton Gate on Friday and will be introduced to the City fans Saturday afternoon before the friendly against Blackpool.
What a purchase this will be. Premiership here we come.