Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling: Social good or social ill?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,537
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Abubu View Post
    Homeschooling is great, especially in the West because of the nature of public schooling there.
    Depends on the area, really. If we're talking about inner city schools then sure. Otherwise, most public schools are decent. Private schools are better since it allows for more one on one education due to fewer students, and likely have better teachers too. Homeschooling is mostly a hit and miss. Socialization is an important aspect of a child's development, so I dislike homeschooling for that reason.

Last Online
    02-09-2017 @ 08:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    white
    Ethnicity
    white-european
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgaricus View Post
    Depends on the area, really. If we're talking about inner city schools then sure. Otherwise, most public schools are decent. Private schools are better since it allows for more one on one education due to fewer students, and likely have better teachers too. Homeschooling is mostly a hit and miss. Socialization is an important aspect of a child's development, so I dislike homeschooling for that reason.
    Lol, another commie telling lies about homeschooling. You obviously don`t know anybody who have been home-schooled or you have not read any studies about home-schooling, what you saying is simple a lie, no better than saying that you can cure cancer with salt-water.

Social, Emotional, and Psychological Development (Socialization)
    • The home-educated are doing well, typically above average, on measures of social, emotional, and psychological development. Research measures include peer interaction, self-concept, leadership skills, family cohesion, participation in community service, and self-esteem.
    • Homeschool students are regularly engaged in social and educational activities outside their homes and with people other than their nuclear-family members. They are commonly involved in activities such as field trips, scouting, 4-H, political drives, church ministry, sports teams, and community volunteer work.
    • Adults who were home educated are more politically tolerant than the public schooled in the limited research done so far.
    http://www.nheri.org/research/resear...schooling.html

Last Online
    06-20-2023 @ 01:08 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tertiary Slav
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z280
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid+Dinarid
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,848
    Given: 3,155

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dog_eat_dog View Post
    Lol, so lets say a child is very sensitive and that`s why he/she is prone to be bullied, you think is better that he goes there anyway so he could "grow" ... That is just stupidest thing I have heard today, and very unscientific also. You must realize that because of bullying in schools, millions of adults still suffer from mental illness and PSTD and many of them are not able to work or to do anything productive.. but I guess it was worth of "growing experience"

http://www.livescience.com/53034-chi...h-effects.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...y-9268365.html

Home-schooling have nothing to do with bullying though, since 99% parents who homeschool their children are not doing it because of bullying.
    Hey, the sooner they deal with it, the better.
    It's not like the world magically becomes a nicer place as they grow up.
    And if some fry, and end up like the examples in your quotes, maybe they simply didn't have what it takes to make it.
    „Beer has it's own way of sorting things out, does it not?“

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    white
    Ethnicity
    white-european
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    Hey, the sooner they deal with it, the better.
    It's not like the world magically becomes a nicer place as they grow up.
    And if some fry, and end up like the examples in your quotes, maybe they simply didn't have what it takes to make it.
    Well, that explains why Serbia is so fucked up place and one of poorest countries in Europe. Bullying wont "toughen up" anybody, just like kicking your dog wont make it better guard-dog.

Last Online
    05-14-2017 @ 08:59 PM
    Made in Ukraine and transported to America
    Meta-Ethnicity
    From the land of Slavs
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Boringggg
    Hero
    Trinity God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,310
    Given: 3,146

3 Not allowed!

I teach when I don't do accounting work and I say it can be a benefit. Not for everyone of course and maybe not their whole life. I only see it benefiting students that are not doing well in school because they all constantly distracted in class. I homeschool some students too and I have seen there grades rise after they came back to school from doing homeschool. I work more one on one with them to make sure they understand and this is free from distractions. Also, some trouble makers at school would benefit from homeschooling because it'll be like a time out for these kids and if they want to return back to school to see theit friends then they must put their act together. Everyone else probably will not benefit from it much if at all.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    white
    Ethnicity
    white-european
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by UkrainianGirl View Post
    I teach when I don't do accounting work and I say it can be a benefit. Not for everyone of course and maybe not their whole life. I only see it benefiting students that are not doing well in school because they all constantly distracted in class. I homeschool some students too and I have seen there grades rise after they came back to school from doing homeschool. I work more one on one with them to make sure they understand and this is free from distractions. Also, some trouble makers at school would benefit from homeschooling because it'll be like a time out for these kids and if they want to return back to school to see theit friends then they must put their act together. Everyone else probably will not benefit from it much if at all.
    According studies your claim is not correct:

Academic Performance
    The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.) A 2015 study found Black homeschool students to be scoring 23 to 42 percentile points above Black public school students (Ray, 2015).
    • Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.
    • Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not related to their children’s academic achievement.
    • Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.
    • Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.
    • Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.

Social, Emotional, and Psychological Development (Socialization)
    • The home-educated are doing well, typically above average, on measures of social, emotional, and psychological development. Research measures include peer interaction, self-concept, leadership skills, family cohesion, participation in community service, and self-esteem.
    • Homeschool students are regularly engaged in social and educational activities outside their homes and with people other than their nuclear-family members. They are commonly involved in activities such as field trips, scouting, 4-H, political drives, church ministry, sports teams, and community volunteer work.
    • Adults who were home educated are more politically tolerant than the public schooled in the limited research done so far.

Gender Differences in Children and Youth Respected?
    • One researcher finds that homeschooling gives young people an unusual chance to ask questions such as, “Who am I?” and “What do I really want?,” and through the process of such asking and gradually answering the questions home-educated girls develop the strengths and the resistance abilities that give them an unusually strong sense of self.
    • Some think that boys’ energetic natures and tendency to physical expression can more easily be accommodated in home-based education. Many are concerned that a highly disproportionate number of public school special-education students are boys and that boys are 2.5 times as likely as girls in public schools to be diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Success in the “Real World” of Adulthood

The research base on adults who were home educated is growing; thus far it indicates that they:
    • participate in local community service more frequently than does the general population,
    • vote and attend public meetings more frequently than the general population
    • go to and succeed at college at an equal or higher rate than the general population
    • by adulthood, internalize the values and beliefs of their parents at a high rate

Last Online
    05-14-2017 @ 08:59 PM
    Made in Ukraine and transported to America
    Meta-Ethnicity
    From the land of Slavs
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Boringggg
    Hero
    Trinity God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,310
    Given: 3,146

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dog_eat_dog View Post
    According studies your claim is not correct:

East-Europeans are stubborn in this thread, their mentality is still "only communism/sosialism" works, even though it failed them.. but hey old dog never learn new tricks.
    Well it doesn't matter. I'm just happy my D/F student who almost got held back a grade came back to school after being homeschooled with 4.0GPA now two years in a row and counting.

Veteran Member crazyladybutterfly's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-13-2021 @ 03:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,991
    Given: 21,752

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    Silly me thinking it was intended for financial benefits of people who can't afford to spend much more money on schooling away from home, because they live in rural areas or whatever.

Wouldn't homeschooling kids prone to being bullied be contra-productive, leave them in the comfort zone and they'll never grow.
    you can send them to sports clubs etc.
    actually bullying blocks your development...
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/att...0&d=1471874957

Quote Originally Posted by al-Bosni View Post
    I also have nails that I can use as a weapon.
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/at...8&d=1509531094

Veteran Member crazyladybutterfly's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-13-2021 @ 03:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,991
    Given: 21,752

0 Not allowed!

i think it depends on the situation but it should be allowed. deformed/ugly children shouldnt be sent to school
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/att...0&d=1471874957

Quote Originally Posted by al-Bosni View Post
    I also have nails that I can use as a weapon.
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/at...8&d=1509531094

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    white
    Ethnicity
    white-european
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyladybutterfly View Post
    i think it depends on the situation but it should be allowed. deformed/ugly children shouldnt be sent to school
    That is another harmful stereotype, even though you are correct. Most people usually think that home-schooling is for and only for some half-retarded bullied children, who would commit suicide in public schools, but that is not true at really since bullying isnt really a top reason for home-schooling.

Parents give many different reasons for homeschooling their children. In the 2003 and 2007 NHES, parents were asked whether particular reasons for homeschooling their children applied to them. The three reasons selected by parents of more than two-thirds of students were concern about the school environment, to provide religious or moral instruction, and dissatisfaction with the academic instruction available at other schools. From 2003 to 2007, the percentage of students whose parents reported homeschooling to provide religious or moral instruction increased from 72 percent to 83 percent. In 2007, the most common reason parents gave as the most important was a desire to provide religious or moral instruction (36 percent of students). Typically the religious belief being represented is evangelical Christian.[5][6] This reason was followed by a concern about the school environment (such as safety, drugs, or negative peer pressure) (21 percent), dissatisfaction with academic instruction (seventeen percent), and "other reasons" including family time, finances, travel, and distance (14 percent).[7] Other reasons include more flexibility in educational practices and family core stability for children with learning disabilities or prolonged chronic illnesses, or for children of missionaries, military families, or families who move often, as frequently as every two years.

In addition, some parents want more opportunities to socialize with a wide range of ages, to travel more, to do more field trips, to visit museums, to do outdoor education, to attend concerts, to visit work places, to tour government buildings, to seek mentorships, and to study nature outside. A homeschooling family can do more field trips, with only one vehicle and one parent required.[8]

Although many parents cite wanting to provide religious instruction as one of the primary reasons for homeschooling, research has shown that young adults who are homeschooled are not significantly more likely to be religious than demographically similar peers who went to private or public school. Analysis by Baylor University sociologist Jeremy Uecker of data from the National Study of Youth and Religion revealed that homeschooled young adults were no more religious than other young adults from the same demographic profile who attended public or private school.[9] In addition, results from the Cardus Education Survey in 2011 found that homeschooled young adults attended religious services with roughly the same frequency as their peers who attended a private, Protestant school, although homeschoolers attended church more often than their Catholic school peers.[10] Milton Gaither, a Professor of Education at Messiah College who has extensively studied homeschooling, concludes that, "homeschooling itself will not automatically produce adults who share the conservative political, religious and moral beliefs of their parents." [11]
    Typical home-schooling families looks like this:

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information