View Poll Results: Are children of non-citizens, citizens?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Children of non-citizens, are citizens by being born here.

2 28.57%
  • No. They are not "subject to the jurisdiction of" the US.

5 71.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the 14th Amendment give citizenship to children of non-citizens?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,069
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Reginald View Post
    there are colonial americans who are not loyal to the usa too, thats hard to determine who is really loyal you are also loyal to siciliy and many americans say shit about the usa and prefer their countries of origin even if they are since generations in usa, to me this makes no sense to tell like that
    Did you even read the whole article I posted?

Banned
    Last Online
    02-19-2017 @ 11:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mr. Cogito
    Country
    Poland
    Region
    Lublin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,617
    Given: 2,771

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    It means undocumented immigrants are still in part loyal to their homeland and their political allegiance is not entirely with the US. Anyway I personally support birthright citizenship! I just do not think the 14th Amendment actually guarantees it.
    It guarantees, but you mix two different cases.

Undocumented immigrants, or simply speaking illegal immigrants are not the same as normal immigrants. From the beginning. To obtain American citizenship in normal way, a foreigner has to come to the United States, have work, be registered etc. After few years such foreigner goes to some office that takes care of immigrants, and has a test to pass. It consists of knowing English (speaking, writing...) and general knowledge. Questions are available on YouTube. Then a foreigner gets citizenship.

But before that test, such immigrant may have a child with another immigrant - for instance when a couple arrives in the U.S. Their child will have citizenship, as obviously a kid is unable to take part in any test. Even if they will fail, they still have right to remain in the U.S.

In contrast, illegal immigrants are in a country illegally, as this adjective suggests. It means their children will not get American citizenship even if they are born in the U.S. It is quite logical, as a child needs to live with its parents. When they are deported, the child cannot stay in a country and live on its own.

This amendment (I am not 100% sure about it, but in 85%) refers to people who live in the U.S. legally. Only. It doesn't work when parents before child is born, go to let's say San Diego on tourist visas, wait when an infant is born and automatically this infant gets citizenship.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information