Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 850
    Given: 597

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marusya View Post
    So, why aren't we all good?
    We choose who we are good to. No one is thoroughly evil.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 226

0 Not allowed!

It always irritates me when the discussion of good vs evil, free will, ect is brought up for didcussion. The word "Evil" and its application to humans/the human brain is such an illusive concept. Often when people ask this question its almost as though they ask without realising that the brain is, for the most part, 50-100 billion nerve cells or neurons that constantly interact with each other "carying" messages through electrochemical processes; meaning, chemicals in our body (charged sodium, potassium and chloride ions) move in and out of these cells and establish an electrical current. To derive "evil" from this complex biological process, for me, is absurd to say the least.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,924
    Given: 18,997

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Sharapova View Post
    It always irritates me when the discussion of good vs evil, free will, ect is brought up for didcussion. The word "Evil" and its application to humans/the human brain is such an illusive concept. Often when people ask this question its almost as though they ask without realising that the brain is, for the most part, 50-100 billion nerve cells or neurons that constantly interact with each other "carying" messages through electrochemical processes; meaning, chemicals in our body (charged sodium, potassium and chloride ions) move in and out of these cells and establish an electrical current. To derive "evil" from this complex biological process, for me, is absurd to say the least.
    You just very superficially described the discernible surface of these processes taking place in the brain, but not the forces behind them. For me as a law student the concepts of good and evil are very useful. Whether you blame evil on chemical processes or on free will, it is essential that evil should be rooted out the society - we need to punish accordingly and isolate from the rest of the society people who do evil.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-23-2021 @ 06:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EM78GREENSAVANNAH's best friend
    Ethnicity
    Bessarabian Jew
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    g2a1
    mtDNA
    h1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,158
    Given: 4,510

2 Not allowed!

Sounds like a Christian dilemma of some built-in conscience. The argument is often used to explain how Eskimo's could still get to heaven without knowing who Christ was (before missionaries arrived).

The way I see it, anything that stirs up the waves in my mind & disturbs its calm should be avoided.
    I know if I punch a random old man in the face I wouldn't sleep well that night.
    I don't want to aggravate my mind, & for some odd reason whatever I do to another affects my mind, even if on the surface I'm not bothered by it, something is boiling beneath my awareness.

I wonder how Stalin slept at night.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Antarctica
    Hero
    Turin Turambar, Húrin Thalion and Aulë
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,931
    Given: 20,239

1 Not allowed!

When we are quite young, we merely have a naive outlook of the world around us painted to us through the societies we grow up in. Our cognition at this stage isn't fully developed yet; which is why we have a more "optimistic," carefree attitude which makes these minds more malleable to the norms and standards of society to abide by.

Nevertheless, before I digress too far away at the topic at hand, our mind is more "self/ego-centered" on their own needs because their minds haven't developed to the point where our mind's cognition extends beyond ourselves. Thus, our own "moral core" is a byproduct of our own experiences and teachings we are instilled with. Depending on a person's empathy for others will determine how "significant" our "moral core" will be in terms of potency.
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”

- H.P. Lovecraft

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,478
    Given: 5,059

3 Not allowed!

/\d{4,5}-\d\d-\d\d/ (Future proof.)
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-25-2019 @ 06:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Goteborg
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,399
    Given: 11,742

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ÁGUIA View Post
    They call it moral, I call it strategic; the babies favour the doll that is most helpful, i.e. most useful in terms of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Litvin View Post
    You just superficially described the discernible surface of these processes taking place in the brain, but not the forces behind them. For me as a law student the concept of evil is very useful. Whether you blame evil on chemical processes or on free will (if you believe in it), it is essential that evil should be rooted out the society - we need to punish accordingly and isolate from the rest of the society people who do evil.
    The driving force is survival.

We partly owe our existance to cooperation, that is why what is deemed good is often synonymous with what creates social stability; having players of the same game play by the same rules makes for the fairest, most predictable and least violent kind of game.

I consider evil and good convenient definitions of propensities we all share; we take the path of least resistance once there's incentive (with incentive itself being multivariable).

Our ability to conceive of evil and good is inherent - if we can think of something, we are also able to gather the means to do it.
    It all comes down to what tools we have at hand and what our situation asks of us.
    | Who's Hàkon? | ∃! x; P(x)

Last Online
    08-17-2017 @ 12:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Ugric/Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish & Levantine Arab
    Ancestry
    Paternal: Eastern Finland (likely with Russian admixture) Maternal: Palestine
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    X2e2b
    Taxonomy
    Nordid-Baltid-Arabid Mongrel
    Politics
    Right Wing - Libertarian
    Hero
    Ronald Reagan
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,316
    Given: 156

0 Not allowed!

I believe that we are given our morality by God, and becoming closer to Him, strengthens your moral compass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information