Thread: Higher risks for yDNA-haplogroup I carriers?

Progressive Collectivist Agrippa's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-17-2012 @ 01:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Higher risks for yDNA-haplogroup I carriers?

Just some time ago some studies reported a possible correlation with a faster AIDS-progression and haplogroup I, now another study claims an even stronger case with coronary heart diseases:

“We set out to determine if men with differing types of Y chromosome were at differing risk of heart disease. We tested nearly 3,000 British males, and found that those carrying the I-haplogroup variant had a 55 percent higher risk of coronary heart disease.”
    Since the I-haplogroup is not so prevalent in southern parts of Europe, an interesting speculation is whether it contributes to the higher levels of coronary heart disease in the north compared to the south – however, this requires further research and testing.
    http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/08...and-heart.html

If that's true and no other factors are involved, which were not analysed in the study, that would be significant.

Yet it could be another possibility if the assumption is correct, that this trait of "I" was not always disadvantageous in the past and had a positive effect as well.

Probably that's once more a case for selection working on the various haplogroups, both yDNA and mtDNA.

I would suggest, that going after the last results from prehistoric populations, that f.e. mtDNA-haplogroup N in Europe must have had some sort of disadvantage too, even though I have no idea which kind of - probably not at all, but there is this possibility.

So the current distributions might not just reflect ancestry, but also selective trends. After all, even a very minor advantage or disadvantage could pay off in some thousands of years, once two alternative versions for the y- or mtDNA are available in the genpool.

COGITO - FACIO - FIO Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-19-2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Just some time ago some studies reported a possible correlation with a faster AIDS-progression and haplogroup I, now another study claims an even stronger case with coronary heart diseases:

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/08...and-heart.html
    My cousin's Y-DNA is I2b1 and his paternal line, which is the same as my mother's, has a history of heart disease...sudden cardiac arrest seemed prevalent in some earlier generations. Is there a difference here between I1 from Northern Europe and I2 which is apparently from the Balkans?

I would suggest, that going after the last results from prehistoric populations, that f.e. mtDNA-haplogroup N in Europe must have had some sort of disadvantage too, even though I have no idea which kind of - probably not at all, but there is this possibility.
    I'm N1b1...why do you think they had some disadvantage?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I'm N1b1...why do you think they had some disadvantage?
    Because many studies have proven that in the more distant past, mtDNA haplogroup N was much more widespread than it is now, in various Europid populations, very high numbers were detected. Now some people claimed that migrations might have been the only cause, but migrations from where? There is no region now where it was as high as then over wide territories it seems!

N1a was detected at relatively high levels in LBK, Megalithic and Eastern Indo-European prehistoric populations. Even if it came with Neolithics and later Mesolithic lineages spread at their costs - without a direct selective advantage, I think it is rather unlikely because of the current distribution.

And they appeared in such frequencies just by chance is now very unlikely, considering the various groups tested so far.

Compare:
    http://www.buildinghistory.org/dista...cientdna.shtml

With todays frequencies, those results would be close to impossible.

Where should they have come from? I know of no population which has today more than 10 percent of N1a.

Compare:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_N1a_(mtDNA)

So it's just my speculation, but I wouldn't wonder if they "find something" once we know more about the functionality and effects of the mutations which define haplogroups.

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Because many studies have proven that in the more distant past, mtDNA haplogroup N was much more widespread than it is now, in various Europid populations, very high numbers were detected. Now some people claimed that migrations might have been the only cause, but migrations from where? There is no region now where it was as high as then over wide territories it seems!

N1a was detected at relatively high levels in LBK, Megalithic and Eastern Indo-European prehistoric populations. Even if it came with Neolithics and later Mesolithic lineages spread at their costs - without a direct selective advantage, I think it is rather unlikely because of the current distribution.

And they appeared in such frequencies just by chance is now very unlikely, considering the various groups tested so far.

Compare:
    http://www.buildinghistory.org/dista...cientdna.shtml

With todays frequencies, those results would be close to impossible.

Where should they have come from? I know of no population which has today more than 10 percent of N1a.

Compare:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_N1a_(mtDNA)

So it's just my speculation, but I wouldn't wonder if they "find something" once we know more about the functionality and effects of the mutations which define haplogroups.

The disadvantages of N1 is demographic reduction, but I dont know if it have anything to do with any sort of genetic disadvantages, but out of all my 'relatives' on 23andMe only one is N1a.

I counted the mtDNA of all my 23andMe relatives and only two are mtDNA N (N1a and N1b respectively)

MtDNA:

H - 82
    U - 38
    J - 22
    T - 16
    I - 9
    W - 7
    K - 7
    V - 6
    HV - 5
    X - 4
    N - 2
    G - 1

It's a bit intriguing belonging to such a rare haplogroup, like I'm of some ancient long vanished race
    Last edited by Pallantides; 08-28-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The disadvantages of N1 is demographic reduction
    What exactly do you mean with that?

Banned
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 09:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Japhethite: Indoeuropean. Sarmatian. Poldeutsch.
    Ancestry
    Rzeczpospolita - the only Republic which was a Kingdom.
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    Singen.
    Religion
    Christian Yahwism aka Arianism.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,490
    Given: 10,741

0 Not allowed!

Is it real, that things connected to hg I, are AIDS and coronary...?

Thread Information