That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Surprise, surprise: USA and EU preferred destinations for migration

700 Million Worldwide Desire to Migrate Permanently

U.S. tops desired destination countries

Every day, migrants leave their homelands behind for new lives in other countries.

Reflecting this desire, rather than the reality of the numbers that actually migrate, Gallup finds about 16% of the world's adults would like to move to another country permanently if they had the chance. This translates to roughly 700 million worldwide -- more than the entire adult population of North and South America combined.

From its surveys in 135 countries between 2007 and 2009, Gallup finds residents of sub-Saharan African countries are most likely to express a desire to move abroad permanently.

Thirty-eight percent of the adult population in the region -- or an estimated 165 million -- say they would like to do this if the opportunity arises.

Residents in Asian countries are the least likely to say they would like to move -- with 10% of the adult population, or roughly 250 million, expressing a desire to migrate permanently.

United States Tops Desired Destination Countries

The United States is the top desired destination country for the 700 million adults who would like to relocate permanently to another country. Nearly one-quarter (24%) of these respondents, which translates to more than 165 million adults worldwide, name the United States as their desired future residence. With an additional estimated 45 million saying they would like to move to Canada, Northern America is one of the two most desired regions.

The rest of the top desired destination countries (those where an estimated 25 million or more adults would like to go) are predominantly European.

Forty-five million adults who would like to move name the United Kingdom or France as their desired destination, while 35 million would like to go to Spain and 25 million would like to relocate to Germany. Thirty million name Saudi Arabia and 25 million name Australia.

Roughly 210 million adults around the world would like to move to a country in the European Union, which is similar to the estimated number who would like to move to Northern America.

However, about half of the estimated 80 million adults who live in the EU and would like to move permanently to another country would like to move to another country within the EU -- the highest desired intra-regional migration rate in the world.

Most of the world's international immigrants, according to the 2009 United Nations' Human Development Report, move from one developing country to another developing country or between developed countries.

Gallup's data would suggest then that the countries people desire to migrate to permanently do not necessarily reflect reality -- especially in regard to developing countries. Eighty percent of those in developing countries who would like to move permanently to another country would like to move to a developed country, while 13% of respondents in developed countries would like to move to a developing country.

Gallup's Potential Net Migration Index

If all adults who desire to move to another country permanently actually moved to their desired destination country today, some countries would suffer tremendous losses in human capital [] and others would be overwhelmed. Gallup's Potential Net Migration Index (PNMI) is the estimated number of adults who would like to move out of a country permanently subtracted from the estimated number who would like to move to it, as a proportion of the total adult population. The higher the resulting positive PNMI value, the larger the potential net population gain.

Across the countries surveyed, Singapore posts the highest positive PNMI of all countries and areas, with a net migration index value of +260%. This means that Singapore's adult population would increase from an estimated 3.6 million to as high as 13 million. The Democratic Republic of the Congo (Kinshasa) posts the highest negative PNMI, with a net migration index value of -60%, which means its adult population would decrease from an estimated 32 million to as low as 13 million.

Full story here.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Ooops, this is from last year. Well, still intreresting enough I guess.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-26-2011 @ 10:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German/Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    European white
    Religion
    baptized Catholic as an infant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

Canada really sickens me with their immigration policy to let in third world immigrants to fill population ranks. Ironically even if the U.S. did clean up it's southern border Canada is still actively destroying itself similar to Europe so it seems hopeless.

Last Online
    06-22-2012 @ 10:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    New World
    Ethnicity
    Limenian
    Country
    Peru
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranid-Dinarid-Armenoid
    Religion
    Agnostic.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

0 Not allowed!

Well if they'd ask me, I'd like to emigrate too... to Europe. Living in Peru is quite unbearable most of the time. I hope this doesn't upset anyone here. But going back to Argentina would be nice too.

Here in Peru, the only ones I see emigrating are the overwhelming Amerindian and mestizo majority. Very rarely I see a white Peruvian that has moved to Europe or US for example. Just like with Argentinians.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera1989 View Post
    Here in Peru, the only ones I see emigrating are the overwhelming Amerindian and mestizo majority. Very rarely I see a white Peruvian that has moved to Europe or US for example. Just like with Argentinians.
    .... Or Mexicans. The reason Mexicans have such a bad rep (understandably, and deservedly, but still) in places like California, Arizona or Texas is that they get the lowest of the low of what Mexico has to offer.

Btw I wouldn't have a problem with an intelligent, educated white Argentinian moving to Europe -- as long as he came here to work.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    New World
    Ethnicity
    Limenian
    Country
    Peru
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    Agnostic.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    .... Or Mexicans. The reason Mexicans have such a bad rep (understandably, and deservedly, but still) in places like California, Arizona or Texas is that they get the lowest of the low of what Mexico has to offer.

Btw I wouldn't have a problem with an intelligent, educated white Argentinian moving to Europe -- as long as he came here to work.
    Exactly. Just like with Peruvians, Ecuadorians and Colombians in Spain, for example. The lowest of the low goes mainly to Spain because they don't need to learn any language, and if they live there for 2 years, they can apply for the Spanish citizenship... thanks to leftist government they have there. I'm not saying all of the ones that emigrate behave badly there, but plenty do.

They give all Latin American nations a bad image to the world, unfortunately. You put the example of Mexico. Mexico itself is a great nation, with a great people, history and culture. But their international reputation is not that great it seems... Some foreigners even look at me amazed sometimes when I tell them there are many white people in Mexico...

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-07-2014 @ 05:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    HispanoRoman-IberoAquitanian-Suevian
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    Autocrat and Antiglobalization Traditionalist
    Religion
    Roman-Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 29

0 Not allowed!

Indeed they want to get in our lands. This is what it used to be called invasion. Unfortunatelly, although we have an overwhelmed militar superiority (even after excluding their contingents already present among us) really new along History, we couldn't get much lower on the rulers we choose and the clownish democracies we live.

Ps. As a Lega Nord (Italian/Padanian party for every decent European to be proud of) minister (maybe too rudely but full of reason) once said: let's bomb the ship!

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German/Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    European white
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera1989 View Post
    Exactly. Just like with Peruvians, Ecuadorians and Colombians in Spain, for example. The lowest of the low goes mainly to Spain because they don't need to learn any language, and if they live there for 2 years, they can apply for the Spanish citizenship... thanks to leftist government they have there. I'm not saying all of the ones that emigrate behave badly there, but plenty do.

They give all Latin American nations a bad image to the world, unfortunately. You put the example of Mexico. Mexico itself is a great nation, with a great people, history and culture. But their international reputation is not that great it seems... Some foreigners even look at me amazed sometimes when I tell them there are many white people in Mexico...
    I wouldn't say Mexico as a country has a great history, the people of Mexico yes but the country no. Mexican people are generally good but their country is and always has been a place of easily 60+% corruption at all times of it's history especially now. You can buy a cop off in Mexico for near anything since most don't make their main source of income from the state anyways.

I was drinking with some Mexican nationals once, the rich ones of the ruling class who were studying in Texas and they had a friend there who was an illegal alien from the barrios of my city. Was talking to the guy and he told me how when he lived in Mexico city the leftist opposition candidate paid his rent with thousands of other poor peoples rent so long as they voted for him, he just sorta rolled that off as if it was no big deal or anything....

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    New World
    Ethnicity
    Limenian
    Country
    Peru
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    Agnostic.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I wouldn't say Mexico as a country has a great history, the people of Mexico yes but the country no. Mexican people are generally good but their country is and always has been a place of easily 60+% corruption at all times of it's history especially now. You can buy a cop off in Mexico for near anything since most don't make their main source of income from the state anyways.

I was drinking with some Mexican nationals once, the rich ones of the ruling class who were studying in Texas and they had a friend there who was an illegal alien from the barrios of my city. Was talking to the guy and he told me how when he lived in Mexico city the leftist opposition candidate paid his rent with thousands of other poor peoples rent so long as they voted for him, he just sorta rolled that off as if it was no big deal or anything....
    Corruption is widespread in all of South America as well. It is one of the worst things about these countries. In the country I'm living in, Peru, you can easily buy off a cop too, even a judge. No one sees it as strange, it's common.

To give you an example. There is this one politician, who had 9 videos where he was showed plotting and receiving money from other politicians, in few words: he is blatantly corrupted. In the elections we have coming, he has 20% of voting intention on the polls. People are so used to corruption, they don't seem to care any more.

A popular quote here is, roughly translated, "it doesn't matter if they are corrupted or steal money, as long as they also work and build stuff". In a poll, it was shown that 47% of those who were asked, agreed with that sentence.

It's one of the things I hate the most about Latin America.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German/Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    European white
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yes institutional corruption is not something just for hardened criminals, it becomes a system where it is expected that you get what comes with the office just like everyone else did.

Thread Information