Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Ameircans: do you feel a connection to europe (even if you are not of european descendance)?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian, Italian, Polish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,327

0 Not allowed!

For Europe as a whole, sort of. But really Ukraine most of all.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by LightHouse89 View Post
    Most have traced ancestry to the West Coast of Africa and some from probably elsewhere. White Americans is a rather generic term although commonly used or Anglo is another term. Irish Americans are imaginary or only exist in Southie Boston and my neck of the woods. Italians are largely in New York City and mind you these groups are not culturally those things just in terms of ancestry that's what they consider themselves.

Down South never ruined its identity really in terms of its colonial era ancestry except for maybe the modern north American new right and its pushing of this generic ''white identity'' which is not an identity at all and is more similar to being American. I think using the term now ''European-American'' would be a mistake as well. I take pride in being a WASP both culturally and racially so that is what I am but mind you this identity is now considered racist in America and the retarded Murican right will not use it out of fear of sounding exclusive and not inclusive enough to other ''white muricans'' especially the groups that hate them [i.e. Irish-Americans, Italian Americans etc...]. I have no similarities with those groups or any cultural connection with over seas ''Europeans'' so it would not make sense to call oneself a European-American... fuck sake it doesn't make sense to call myself an ''American'' even.
    I definitely sympathize. Generic "white" identity isn't much of an identity at all.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marusya View Post
    I only feel a strong cultural connection to Ukraine and Poland. This is because I grew up around Ukrainian/Slavic culture in my house. My Ukrainian grandfather lived with us until his death. Ukrainian and Polish culture, especially cuisine, is practically the same. I had/have relatives who married Poles (from Poland). I grew up surrounded by Polish immigrants and Polish-Americans in my neighborhood. For some reason, I feel personal offense if anything bad happens to either of these countries. I hope one day these countries can reconcile all differences which divide them.

My British ancestors came to America in the 1700s. Any cultural elements they brought with them have long disappeared.
    Yeah, absolutely. I tend to take personal offense in the same way to anything that's anti-Ukraine.

Some people assume that all or most colonials are just too distant from their ancestral homeland(s) to feel that kind of connection to them, but one's mileage may vary. An insult to Ukraine to me feels much the same way as an insult to family - and for me Ukrainians are family, so that makes perfect sense.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,201
    Given: 9,778

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marusya View Post
    I only feel a strong cultural connection to Ukraine and Poland. This is because I grew up around Ukrainian/Slavic culture in my house. My Ukrainian grandfather lived with us until his death. Ukrainian and Polish culture, especially cuisine, is practically the same. I had/have relatives who married Poles (from Poland). I grew up surrounded by Polish immigrants and Polish-Americans in my neighborhood. For some reason, I feel personal offense if anything bad happens to either of these countries. I hope one day these countries can reconcile all differences which divide them.

My British ancestors came to America in the 1700s. Any cultural elements they brought with them have long disappeared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Yeah, absolutely. I tend to take personal offense in the same way to anything that's anti-Ukraine.

Some people assume that all or most colonials are just too distant from their ancestral homeland(s) to feel that kind of connection to them, but one's mileage may vary. An insult to Ukraine to me feels much the same way as an insult to family - and for me Ukrainians are family, so that makes perfect sense.

So you two aren't even wholly Ukrainian,not really diaspora either. Yet focus on that beyond all else,even being an American.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Etain View Post
    So you two aren't even wholly Ukrainian,not really diaspora either. Yet focus on that beyond all else,even being an American.
    Well, of course, we're both diaspora.

Being an American is more of a civic identity for me. I don't say I lack any American identity, but it's not as deep as my Ukrainian ethnic identity, for sure. I don't have any colonial ancestry, for example, so early American history seems quite distant to me. It's the history of another people. It's probably yours, though, so perhaps you feel a greater connection to it. That's fine. But you cannot claim to understand the perspective of people whose family tree is quite different from yours.

I just care about the well-being of Ukraine - couldn't stop myself from feeling that way even if I wanted to. For me (& evidently for Marusya as well), the Ukrainian immigrant connection is fairly recent, so just that by itself tends to increase ethnic identification with it. Plus, I'm quite connected to my Ukrainian family. See them for all holidays, we do Ukrainian traditions for Christmas Eve & Easter, etc. My grandparents on that side of my family were Ukrainian immigrants, and I've been told that if they were alive today, they'd be very happy about my pro-Ukrainianness. So that's good enough for me. Conversations about the hope of Ukrainian independence among other diaspora members were common for them.

As I write this post, I have a Ukrainian flag situated at the top of my desk. You'll also notice that's the flag I've chosen for my user profile. I consider it a right of blood to call that flag my own. If anyone thinks otherwise, I automatically do not value their opinion on the matter.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,201
    Given: 9,778

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Well, of course, we're both diaspora.

Being an American is more of a civic identity for me. I don't say I lack any American identity, but it's not as deep as my Ukrainian ethnic identity, for sure. I don't have any colonial ancestry, for example, so early American history seems quite distant to me. It's the history of another people. It's probably yours, though, so perhaps you feel a greater connection to it. That's fine. But you cannot claim to understand the perspective of people whose family tree is quite different from yours.

I just care about the well-being of Ukraine - couldn't stop myself from feeling that way even if I wanted to. For me (& evidently for Marusya as well), the Ukrainian immigrant connection is fairly recent, so just that by itself tends to increase ethnic identification with it. Plus, I'm quite connected to my Ukrainian family. See them for all holidays, we do Ukrainian traditions for Christmas Eve & Easter, etc. My grandparents on that side of my family were Ukrainian immigrants, and I've been told that if they were alive today, they'd be very happy about my pro-Ukrainianness. So that's good enough for me. Conversations about the hope of Ukrainian independence among other diaspora members were common for them.

As I write this post, I have a Ukrainian flag situated at the top of my desk. You'll also notice that's the flag I've chosen for my user profile. I consider it a right of blood to call that flag my own. If anyone thinks otherwise, I automatically do not value their opinion on the matter.
    I do. it annoys me to see Americans valuing a place besides this one . which of course they do not live in.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread Information