One of America’s most celebrated literary figures is a man who shot his wife in the head, abandoned his son and had a heroin habit which spanned five decades.

William S Burroughs, one third of the Beat generation’s literary tripartite (with Allen Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac), is the subject of a new feature-length documentary, screened this week at the BFI London Film Festival, seeking to shed new light on the author through previously unseen Super 8 home movies and VHS tapes donated by his friends.

“I called the film William S Burroughs: A Man Within because Burroughs used the term ‘a man within’ twice in Naked Lunch,” Yony Leyser, the film’s 26-year-old director, explains, adding: “I wanted to look at the man, not the writing.”

The 90 minute documentary is divided into segments reflecting Burroughs’ various obsessions - cats, guns, drugs, rent boys etc- , and only briefly mentions the writer’s huge back catalogue, the most famous of which are Naked Lunch, Queer and Junkie.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...n-2112736.html

Fascinating figure. Incidently, I had more than once a hard time to win ebay auctions of Mayfair Magazines which contained Burroughs's scrabbles on Scientology, politics and so forth. I am sure that my rivals went with the same fervour for the fact that a Beat writer had published for that magazine and not for the other glossy articles and revealing photo shoots...