Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Social Media Nowadays: Good or Bad?

Banned
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 02:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Spain,Portugal,France and Native
    Country
    Iceland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,816
    Given: 1,754

0 Not allowed!

Good, obviously, duh

Last Online
    05-26-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 5,979

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    People will be people, they have always been the same and will always be the same. Social media only provides them with a platform. If they introduced social media in 1850 they would have had exactly the same problems as we do now. The problem is not social media, it is the person who uses social media.

It is the same with asshole drivers. It isn't the car's fault, it the driver. Put a totally "normal" person behind the wheel of a car and some of them develop rage and behave like lunatics.

People were always assholes. It's not a new development.
    The problem is maybe that we have created technology in our everday environments that we have not evolved to cope with properly. The death and injury toll from cars is terrible. High stakes gambling machines ruin the lives of people who otherwise would probably do better. So things like social media are bad if they cause bad results.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,722
    Given: 17,037

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    The problem is maybe that we have created technology in our everday environments that we have not evolved to cope with properly. The death and injury toll from cars is terrible. High stakes gambling machines ruin the lives of people who otherwise would probably do better. So things like social media are bad if they cause bad results.
    So what you are suggesting is to take the self-determining factor out of people's hands to make them less of a danger to themselves? Yes, some people drive like assholes - others don't. Gambling machines provide entertainment for many people. Not all gamblers gamble their homes away. Gambling isn't the problem - the people who gamble are. There is nothing wrong with alcohol. Many people enjoy a glass of wine with their meal, others rip the ass out of it completely. Whether it is a good or bad thing lies in the choices people make around it. At best, I consider all these things (social media, gambling, alcohol, drugs, driving) as neutral activities. The determining factor, or danger, lies in the hands of the user. Think Sartre and existentialism!

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

So what you are suggesting is to take the self-determining factor out of people's hands to make them less of a danger to themselves? Yes, some people drive like assholes - others don't. Gambling machines provide entertainment for many people. Not all gamblers gamble their homes away. Gambling isn't the problem - the people who gamble are. There is nothing wrong with alcohol. Many people enjoy a glass of wine with their meal, others rip the ass out of it completely. Whether it is a good or bad thing lies in the choices people make around it. At best, I consider all these things (social media, gambling, alcohol, drugs, driving) as neutral activities. The determining factor, or danger, lies in the hands of the user. Think Sartre and existentialism!
    I've long since moved on from existentialism and embraced determinism (think Spinoza ) The difficult thing to decide is whether the pleasure these things bring to society outweighs the pain they cause.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I've long since moved on from existentialism and embraced determinism (think Spinoza ) The difficult thing to decide is whether the pleasure these things bring to society outweighs the pain they cause.
    I don't think it is for anyone other than the user to decide. I think I would draw the line with activities that are virtually guaranteed to bring about a negative outcome. However, these "virtually guaranteed" activities are a debate on their own.

(It's so nice to have a discussion/debate with someone without it deteriorating into insults and name-calling!)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I don't think it is for anyone other than the user to decide. I think I would draw the line with activities that are virtually guaranteed to bring about a negative outcome. However, these "virtually guaranteed" activities are a debate on their own.

(It's so nice to have a discussion/debate with someone without it deteriorating into insults and name-calling!)
    What about personal gun ownership? Are you or would you be happy for individuals to decide on that? I would fiercely oppose that for the UK.

Account Deleted
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 01:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic, Caucasian, and Slavic
    Ethnicity
    50% Banana
    Ancestry
    West Asian, South-Central Asian, and Northeastern European
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    G2b1a
    mtDNA
    V
    Taxonomy
    Clark Kent with browner hair and a more Iranian nose
    Politics
    Progressive, but not the stupid kind
    Religion
    Islam
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,062
    Given: 6,146

1 Not allowed!

It's okay now, but very political, full of teenage shit post, and dank memes. I have a facebook account, but I don't really use it much anymore. I only use it for messenger.

When I was in high school, social media got a lot of people in trouble for them doing stupid things. It even got to the point where some kids got in legal trouble because of it. Lots of bullying/harassment/shit talking/fight planning on social media. There was also a girl I knew who killed herself due to bullying on social media in late 2012 (my junior year of high school) and that sucks.

It can be good cause it leads to more hearing of things though.
    Learn some about Afghans here
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...of-Afghanistan

Indian Genomics can be modeled by four-way populations, not two way populations. Read more in this thread:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...tion-structure

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

What about personal gun ownership? Are you or would you be happy for individuals to decide on that? I would fiercely oppose that for the UK.
    This is one of those cases which deserve a debate on its own. I was actually hoping you wouldn't go here but you did. I don't have a problem with gun ownership per se. I have a problem with any Tom, Dick or Harry being able to buy bazookas at the grocery store with their milk, bread and ammunition. Here guns are illegal unless you have a license, a safe place to keep them and you have to prove that you have undergone training for the type of weapon which you plan to acquire. Having a license for a revolver doesn't mean you can now buy a shotgun. Personally, I don't like guns. I've never owned one, nor do I want to.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2017 @ 07:46 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Who cares?
    Politics
    Non-aligned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,266
    Given: 1,491

2 Not allowed!

On balance I'd have to say social media is fucked because despite the global connectivity it facilitates it is either displacing or a poor substitute for healthy direct interpersonal social activity. Perhaps it is a symptom of a widespread social problem in the modern world.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

0 Not allowed!

It is bad for me, and I don't have a facebook account and etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information