Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 5,979

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    Sometimes I have trouble differentiating between Aussie and British accents (not the posh ones, but the street accents)
    The Aussie accent is similar to the London Cockney one and also to the way they speak in the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, etc.).

Last Online
    03-09-2021 @ 01:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, English
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian and English
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 601
    Given: 401

1 Not allowed!

Victoria was named after Queen Victoria, who had been on the British throne for 14 years when the colony was established in 1851.

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,551
    Given: 27,895

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    Australians, Kiwis and Brits. The only people who like the taste of Vegemite and Marmite. Very nutritious of course, but hard to understand for non-Brits and non-Aussies/non-Kiwis. It's an acquired taste for them since early childhood.

Aussies, Kiwis and Pommies. I like Marmite and have eaten it from an early age in life, like a lot of British kids. Vegemite is the Australian version of Marmite. I think Kiwi's also like Marmite which tastes a little bit stronger than Vegemite.

Marmite (MAR-myte) is a British food spread currently produced by Unilever. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. Other similar products include the Australian Vegemite, the Swiss Cenovis, and the German Vitam-R.

Marmite is a sticky, dark brown food paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty.

This distinctive taste is reflected in the marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it."

Such is its prominence in British popular culture that the product's name has entered British English as a metaphor for something that is an acquired taste or tends to polarise opinions.

The image on the front of the British jar shows a "marmite" (French: [maʁmit]), a French term for a large, covered earthenware or metal cooking pot. Marmite was originally supplied in earthenware pots, but since the 1920s has been sold in glass jars shaped like the French cooking pot.

A version is made in South Africa using the same jar design. It is made by Pioneer Foods (pty) Ltd.

A similar spread called Marmite has been manufactured in New Zealand since 1919. This is the only product sold as Marmite in Australasia and the Pacific, whereas elsewhere in the world the British version predominates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
    It's humorous seeing foreign peoples reactions on lots of YT videos when they try either Marmite or Vegemite for the first time! Americans make a mistake of smearing it very thickly so the taste is overpowering.

It's yeast extract and it's very rich in B vitamins. We like it smeared lightly on toast and served with a boiled egg - 'egg and soldiers' as kids like to call it here.

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 06-14-2018 at 09:12 PM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,551
    Given: 27,895

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    The Aussie accent is similar to the London Cockney one and also to the way they speak in the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, etc.).
    I've also always thought that Aussies sound similar to East Londoners (Cockneys.) Although I can instantly tell Aussie and Cockney accents apart.

I can't always tell a New Zealand accent from an Australian accent, and I once made the mistake of asking a friendly Kiwi man in London if he was from Australia. He went from smiling and happily talking, to looking so offended and outraged by my casual question, and he then said he's from New Zealand. (Oops.)

(I also made a mistake in the past during a Chantraine dance class when I asked a fellow dancer in my class if she was an American. She made a pinched expression of outrage on her face and said that she was Canadian.)

I regularly bump into American and Australian people in my neighbourhood, and I now just ask 'where are you from?' rather than asking 'are you an American' or 'are you Australian', (just incase they might be a Canadian or a New Zealander.)

Americans often confuse Australian accents with UK accents, but I can tell them apart.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 06-14-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information