Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,188
    Given: 1,099

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcelow View Post
    Is there a collective memory of any Serbs living in the region you are from? There are some isolated Serbian villages in the Metohia/Dukagjin region, are they newcomers or have they been there for a while?
    Yeah, there are serbs who live in my area. There are even gypsies and bosniaks who live here.

They are not really isolated. They just keep to themselves sibce the war. But we have tried to negotiate peace by arranging football matches and even creating multi ethnic football club. Lol. Nobody is even touching them. In fact, we only want peace. To join serbia so we can be discriminated again isnt really peace. It was a hell living under yugoslavia. Kosovo was the poorest region.

Historically dukagjini has always had an albanian population that were catholic. Eastern kosovo side much less. Most of those albanians were serbian orthodox.

Im not aware that there are isolated villages there but i wouldnt be surprised. Its the result of the war. Milosovic wasnt as smart as putin. The latter got many of the chechens on his side. Funny thing is, milosocic destroyed serbia. He could of kept kosovo for example even with a majority albanian population in the area. He was too nationalist however. He fired thousands of albanians from their jobs, denying of their language and culture etc

in hope they would leave for west europe. What happened was instead some farmers started rebelling against him, this was the start of the early uqk/kla. If that idiot had played his cards right he would of kept kosovo but the history is much larger than that. Either kosovo stays an independent country where Albanians and minorities lice in peace or it joins albania.

I know goranis live in the mountains of luma that stretches into north albania, but even albanians live in these mountains.

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,938
    Given: 12,766

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
    Yeah it is absolutely true. You can read this book:

He says the same thing. I have this book. And there are some others i wanna buy from tim judah.

To think that a Albanian population in kosovo grew just alone from Malsi migrations is bullshit. It is propganda.
    People dont have to believe it. They can just read some books and be open minded.

During serbian empire, albanians in kosovo were becomig serbianized. They were decreasing. After ottoman occupation it seems that a small indigenous albabian population in kosovo started growing again.
    And latet came also some migrations from malsi. Vlachs totally disappeared. There was a vlach population too. A minority. Most of them were serbianized.

I know my ancestors most likely came from malsi because of the genetic testt ive done i get a lot albanians from there.

Serbs came from rashka. It was the original home land of serbs before they expanded into kosovo and albania. They conqueted yhose areas from the byzantium
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Malcolm#Criticism

He's also the president of the Anglo-Albanian Association. It doesn't exactly scream objectivity.

btw, I believe he says in his book the Serbs were in Kosovo first and that Albanians came later.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-17-2016 @ 02:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Etain View Post
    You people and your crappy Albanian mountain republics
    Fixed.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Malcolm#Criticism

He's also the president of the Anglo-Albanian Association. It doesn't exactly scream objectivity.
    Have you read the book? Read it. And answer it if you can. It is very neutral actually. He mostly goes into myths. That book was written way before if im correct.

There are some serbs who have argued against him. You can read that too. The serbian arguement is albanians came from azerbaijan with a helicopter.

You can also read tim judahs books. I read some comments on it and they accuse him of being pro albanian too. Lol.

Instead of attacking a person try to answer his arguements. Whete he has made a mistake etc. In fact if you email noel or sonething im sure he will answer you.

I have read both arguements. Serbian and mr noel.

The serbian arguements are absolutely fantasy. Some of them even cling onto the caucasud theory.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Here is a serbian response on the book: http://www.kosovo.net/nmalk6.html

http://www.kosovo.net/nmalk.html

Even i can answet some of these delusional lies easily.

He argues albaniabs are from caucasus and that arbanasi did not mean albanian even though thats what serbs actually called albanians.

He quotes some authors who never even arfued noels book but rather just criticized him. Make some arfuements. Answet everything claimed !!!!! Forget personal attacks.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Have you read the book? Read it. And answer it if you can. It is very neutral actually. He mostly goes into myths. That book was written way before if im correct.
    I've looked at book reviews. Does it say Serbians were living in Kosovo first? It should be in the early chapters. Perhaps I'm incorrect.

The book was published in 1999. The conflict took place in 1999. It was published the month it ended. The conflict started four months before. The book was obviously not written because the author was overwhelmed by the beauty of the culture and history of Kosovo that he felt a 'short history' of the place was necessary to show his deep affection. The timing is a bit, you know... Perhaps he wrote the book in 1988 and just sat on it for years...
    https://www.amazon.com/Kosovo-Short-...kosovo+Malcolm

There are some serbs who have argued against him. You can read that too. The serbian arguement is albanians came from azerbaijan with a helicopter.
    Yes he was criticized by Serbs but also non-Serbs.

You can also read tim judahs books. I read some comments on it and they accuse him of being pro albanian too. Lol.
    He's not the president of the Anglo-Albanian Association and he has lived in the region for a number of years.

Instead of attacking a person try to answer his arguements. Whete he has made a mistake etc. In fact if you email noel or sonething im sure he will answer you.
    I didn't attack him. Other people attacked him. I don't even know what his arguments are. And pointing out he is the president of the Anglo-Albanian Association and that the book was published at the moment there was a conflict taking place (actually ending) naturally raises an eyebrow.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

That was the wrong link. Thats another serbian arguement on the book. They all have different arguements. But they always argue there were no pre ottoman albanians in kosovo when in fact there were. This is the guy who argues albos are from caucasus. Thats basically what their arguements are based on. With some repitions of myths that noel answers in his book

https://www.rastko.rs/kosovo/istorij...jac-echoe.html

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

That was the wrong link. Thats another serbian arguement on the book. They all have different arguements. But they always argue there were no pre ottoman albanians in kosovo when in fact there were. This is the guy who argues albos are from caucasus. Thats basically what their arguements are based on. With some repitions of myths that noel answers in his book

https://www.rastko.rs/kosovo/istorij...jac-echoe.html
    You didn't answer my question. What did Malcolm write about it?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    I've looked at book reviews. Does it say Serbians were living in Kosovo first? It should be in the early chapters. Perhaps I'm incorrect.

The book was published in 1999. The conflict took place in 1999. It was published the month it ended. The conflict started four months before. The book was obviously not written because the author was overwhelmed by the beauty of the culture and history of Kosovo that he felt a 'short history' of the place was necessary to show his deep affection. The timing is a bit, you know... Perhaps he wrote the book in 1988 and just sat on it for years...
    https://www.amazon.com/Kosovo-Short-...kosovo+Malcolm

Yes he was criticized by Serbs but also non-Serbs.

He's not the president of the Anglo-Albanian Association and he has lived in the region for a number of years.

I didn't attack him. Other people attacked him. i don't even know what his arguments are. And pointing out he is the president of the Anglo-Albanian Association and that the book was published at the moment there was a conflict taking place (actually ending) naturally raises an eyebrow.
    Yeah, I understand what youre saying but he doesnt really take sides. He even critisizes albanian historians were they have made a mistake
    He mostly just tells the history of the region. Thats really it. And the truth is, there are much more serbian myths about kosovo. Its not something he can help. You cant please both sides like miranda vickers does, you gotta be honest. Kosovo wasnt originally serbian land. They came from Rashka. Thats the truth. They hace mythified the region.

Criticism Edit

Malcolm's book Kosovo: A Short History (1998) saw robust debate among historians following its release. For example, the merits of the book were the subject of an extended debate in Foreign Affairs. The debate began with the review of the book by the former Fellow of the Russian Research Center at Harvard University, Aleksa Djilas. He wrote that Malcolm's book was "marred by his sympathies for its ethnic Albanian separatists, anti-Serbian bias, and illusions about the Balkans".[20] Malcolm responded by claiming that Djilas had not produced any evidence to counter that produced in the book, and had instead resorted to belittling both Malcolm and his work, including the use of personal slurs and patronising language.[17] The debate continued with Professor Stevan K. Pavlowitch of the University of Southampton asserting that Malcolm's book lacked precision, Melanie McDonagh of the Bosnian Institute claimed that Djilas' review took a "nationalistic approach", and Norman Cigar of Marine Corps University stating that Djilas was trying to create myths to legitimise Serbian actions in Kosovo.[21][22]

In 1999, the Serbian-American poet Charles Simić wrote a letter to the London Review of Books criticizing Malcolm's failure to protest against vandalism and destruction of Serb cultural sites in Kosovo, despite Malcolm having made a prior statement that they should be cared for (a statement which Simić also noted in his letter).[23][24] Later the same year, Thomas Emmert of the history faculty of Gustavus Adolphus College, Minnesota reviewed the book in Journal of Southern Europe and the Balkans Online and while praising aspects of the book also asserted that it was "shaped by the author's overriding determination to challenge Serbian myths", that Malcolm was "partisan", and also complained that the book made a "transparent attempt to prove that the main Serbian myths are false".[25] Malcolm responded in the same journal in early 2000, asserting that the book challenged both Albanian and Serbian myths about Kosovo, but that there were more Serbian myths about Kosovo than Albanian ones and this explained the greater coverage of Serbian myths in the book. He also observed that Emmert's perspective and work was largely within the framework of Serbian historiography, and that Emmert's own perspective was the reason for Emmert's assertion that Malcolm was "partisan".[26]

Other reviews of Kosovo: A Short History were varied. For example, in English Historical Review, Zbyněk Zeman observed that Malcolm "tries not to take sides",[27] but in American Historical Review, Nicholas J. Miller stated that the book was "conceptually flawed" due to Malcolm's insistence on treating Kosovo as "a place on its own; [rather than] a scrap of irredenta that Serbs and Albanians fight over".[28]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information