Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liffrea View Post
    Not really, it’s all simple cost/benefit. Of course you get the idealists who truly “believe” in the cause, usually golden agers banging on about freedom, country of our own etc, but for most it’s all about ££££££.
    I understand and agree with this, certainly. I was talking more of the fact that there doesn't/didn't ever seem to be real opposition to it (or if there was I haven't read of it) given Ireland's political history. The concept of EU membership should be antithetical to everything Irish republicans stand for.

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Originally Posted by Wynfrith
    I understand and agree with this, certainly. I was talking more of the fact that there doesn't/didn't ever seem to be real opposition to it (or if there was I haven't read of it) given Ireland's political history. The concept of EU membership should be antithetical to everything Irish republicans stand for.
    None in England either, plenty of coughing and spluttering from various folks, mostly newspaper columnists mourning the death of a democracy we never had.

When I was in the BNP a regular topic of conversation would be when will the great rising up of the people take place? Everyone would agree it will come, it has to, it’s just another five years, five years pass and……maybe in the next five years. You know why the BNP aren’t in power?........because they are not in power, work it out.

At some point you realise most people just want to live their lives in the general self centredness that we all do, what is good for me? What can I gain/lose? Why should I care? Why should people care that they pay taxes to Brussels? Perhaps if the taxes are higher, laws? The people don’t make them anyway, so again, why care? Unless they actually impinge on you. We’ve all read of the EU law to extradite people from the UK to foreign courts for offences that probably aren’t even crimes in the UK……how many people do you personally know that have been? More to the point what are you really going to do to stop it? Seriously now.

I’m not saying things can’t change, of course they can, but if you’re relying on the public, don’t hold your breath. People want stability and they want to live their lives and keep their heads down, they want to fit in, and they will follow the crowd, who follow……whoever calls the tunes.

You can turn a mild mannered supermarket worker into a concentration camp guard overnight, a Briton into a European, in the same time, the hard work is getting into a position to do it, the rest is easy.

The EU won’t disappear under mobs of protestors.
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Last Online
    07-20-2014 @ 09:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

An independent Ulster will never happen, it isn't sustainable and as for it being a step to a united Ireland, well that's just not going to happen, as there's still hundreds of thousands of us orange bastards in Ulster and more and more Roman Catholics are classing themselves as Northern-Irish and accept the reality of the benefits of being part of the U.K. and if people don't accept that, well you only have to look at the tens of thousands of citizens from the Republic of Ireland, some who even travel all the way from Cork (THE BOTTOM OF THE IRISH REPUBLIC) to shop in Northern Ireland on a weekly basis.

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liffrea View Post
    I don’t believe bankrupting your own state is a move elites would intentionally go for….
    Unless, of course, it is not the Irish state that they are loyal to, but instead the European super-state. In that case, bankrupting your local charge for increased reliance on your true master makes perfect sense.
    [Signature Pending]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information