Ancestry
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

In this new analysis, I am 62.8% Scandinavian, 23.7% Baltic, and 13.5% Chuvash (Eastern European + Siberian). That makes sense considering what is known about the population history of Finland. Also, since I was 100% Finnish/Finnic in the previous run, my results in this run probably represent the results of a typical Finn.
    Last edited by Aino; 03-05-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433

0 Not allowed!

The purple (Scandinavian/Swedish+Norwegian) component is very strong in Finns compared to Russians and Estonians.

Gone Gone Gone - That´s All Folks
    Last Online
    08-19-2011 @ 04:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

Thanks a lot Palla! I´m once again the eight bar. What is interesting is the red Polish (Central-Eastern European) I have which is completely absent in other Finns. Polako suggested that it´s actually most likely relatively recent South Scandinavian (Danish?) influence that wasn´t picked up by the purple Swedish+Norwegian (Scandinavian) component (hope I´m not screwing up all the terminology here ). Anyway, hopefully this "mystery" will be solved. This is all so fascinating!
    Last edited by Don Brick; 03-05-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,948
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post
    The purple (Scandinavian/Swedish+Norwegian) component is very strong in Finns compared to Russians and Estonians.
    Am I right in saying that Estonians and Russians are genetically closer to each other than either are to Finns?
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 368

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Am I right in saying that Estonians and Russians are genetically closer to each other than either are to Finns?
    Russians(mostly NW-Russians, who have heavy Finnic heritage) form a group between the Estonians and the Finns. Finns are genetically closer to NW-Russians than they are to Estonians and Estonians are genetically closer to NW-Russians than they are to the Finns. You can look at this way, Finns are northern-Finnics, NW-Russians are central-Finnics and Estonians are southern-Finnics.

The same logic applies to the fact that Germans are genetically closer to the Danes than they are to the Swedes.

But Finns are a more interesting group, they have experienced a serious bottle-neck and form their own little neat genetic cluster.

Russians are a very wide group, by the way, only NW-Russians show considerably higher genetic similarity to Estonians and the Finns, because of the recently assimilated Finnic people. While your average southern-Russian might be genetically more similar to a Georgian than he is to any Northern-European.

I think that I already explained something similar in a PM, but you said that my 23andme results clearly show that I am a Slav.

Edit: I am trying to make things more obvious, as you weren't able to grasp some things on previous occasions. Linguistics nor ethnical groupings do not play the main role in genetics. Geography, bottlenecks and historical assimilation/migrations play a role. Thus a Germanic Austrian is more similar to a Romance Northern-Italian, than he is to a Germanic Northern-German. Albanians are genetically similar to the Serbians, as they descend from the same native population of the Balkan people etc.
    Last edited by Äike; 03-05-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,948
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I think that I already explained something similar in a PM, but you said that my 23andme results clearly show that I am a Slav.
    I was just saying that you cluster with some Slavic groups (Polish?). I do as well (cluster with Poles and Ukrainians, as well as Germans and French). And you almost cluster with Russians according to that metric. It's just interesting, that's all.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 368

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I was just saying that you cluster with some Slavic groups (Polish?). I do as well (cluster with Poles and Ukrainians, as well as Germans and French). And you almost cluster with Russians according to that metric. It's just interesting, that's all.
    It isn't interesting, it is completely normal and logical, when looking at the 23andme sample populations. There are many(the ones I share with) Finns and Swedes who cluster with the Russians or the Poles in the 23andme cluster. That's because of the lack of Northern-European(no, the French aren't Northern-Europeans) sample populations. Thus the true "northerners" the Estonians and the Finns are too northern for the Northern-European cluster. Anyway, in my Eastern-European view, the most Russian person is a Finn(almost in the center of the cluster), while some Russians, who I share with, are on the edges of the Russian cluster.

23andme should radically update its sample populations. A Finnish cluster should definitely be added, as there are so many Finns there.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
    Thanks a lot Palla! I´m once again the eight bar. What is interesting is the red Polish (Central-Eastern European) I have which is completely absent in other Finns. Polako suggested that it´s actually most likely relatively recent South Scandinavian (Danish?) influence that wasn´t picked up by the purple Swedish+Norwegian (Scandinavian) component (hope I´m not screwing up all the terminology here ). Anyway, hopefully this "mystery" will be solved. This is all so fascinating!
    Oops, no I´m the ninth bar (FI 6), not the eight. Has somebody new been added to the chart? I swear to God I was the eight bar just a couple of days ago... Oh well.

COGITO - FACIO - FIO Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-19-2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

0 Not allowed!

I just got around to looking at the "Fine scale analysis of Eurogenes' white Americans" and got this:

It's interesting. I seem to score a little higher than other Americans for the Baltic category, but a lot higher for Finnic, other than those with huge proportions like 50% who are probably actually part Finnish. I believe it must have to do with my Lithuanian ancestry.

Also, I score just a little higher than most for the Ashkenazim category. It's hard to tell though. Lots of people with about 0% and then others with anywhere from 15% and up, but those might be people with known Ashkenazi ancestry. Also, this run confuses Southern European ancestry with Jewish ancestry. Not that I have any known Southern European ancestry either though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soten - Fine scale analysis of Eurogenes' white Americans.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	7333  

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post
    Yes it´s interesting. Even EESE1 who I assume to be half Estonian half Swedish (Simonsson perhaps? ) scores lower Scandinavian percentages than any of the Finns do. On the other hand his Chuvash component is bigger than that of any of the Estonians which is curious. Anyhow, the "Baltic force" is still indeed very strong in him.

Page 22 of 283 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread Information