The family of the Minister of Culture of Ukraine, Yevhen Nyshchuk, suffered a tragedy, as his wife, Oksana Batko-Nyshchuk, died in her sleep at the age of 43 on October 7, 2016. She was buried today, October 10, in Kyiv. A renowned dramatic actor in her own right, she performed regularly at the Ivan Franko National Academic Drama Theater in Kyiv. She is survived by her husband and their son Oleksa, 21.

Oksana performing with her husband, Yevhen Nyshchuk.

Minister Nyshchuk posted the following to Facebook to let people know:

Today, the mother of my son did not wake, an incredible talent, my wife and soulmate, Oksana Batko-Nyshchuk
Such a sincere and open person, who loved people like no other a person who perceived the world around her with such kindness and sensitivity and through such boundless love kept her heart open and vulnerable...

Her brilliance as the Nymph (Mavka) in Lesya Ukrainka's TheForest Song when we were still student actors will always frame her image in immortality Truthfully, her obsession with plumbing the depths of her role alongside Bohdan Stupka in King Lear amazed us all

In Asso and Piaf, our love was reflected in their relationship, full of deep and strong emotions

This is a shock this loss... is crazy and for our son, how will he handle it

It hurts so much

I ask you, please, to light a candle for Oksana when you go to church

Tribute video to Oksana.