Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,997
    Given: 6,001

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Agapetos View Post
    We don't need free will to explain anything physical. This is why the problem of free will is a problem. We have a strong illusion that our conscious minds are the ultimate authors of our thoughts and actions. But neuroscience and physics seem to be indicating (currently at least) that free will is probably a very powerful illusion, it is like an urge that you get, which assigns the sense of authorship over your behaviour. But there is no evidence in modern science that I know of that opens up the possibility of libertarian free will to exist.

I am a determinist and a compatibilist at that. I try to square free will with determinism, but in order to do so, one must let libertarian free will go.
    You are not really the author of your thoughts and actions, you simply feel that way. There is nothing in evidence that corroborates this feeling.
    Assuming determinism, you wouldn't be able to know whether free will exists or not.

Last Online
    05-26-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 5,979

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Abubu View Post
    "Religion: Philosophical" ... But can't understand a relatively simple concept like free will.
    The problem is, free will is a non-concept. It says that human behaviour is partially independent of cause. So if behaviour is not caused and not random then what is it?

Banned
    Last Online
    08-13-2018 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    The problem is, free will is a non-concept. It says that human behaviour is partially independent of cause. So if behaviour is not caused and not random then what is it?
    It isn't a non-concept, you are just incapable of higher levels of non-autistic immaterialistic thinking.

The gist of free will is that Man has Will and that he can Will something that is in His control to happen. Man is capable of being a cause on his own due to his free will. You used your Will to respond to me, for example.

If you deny any of this, you also deny your capability of knowing this, because you are simply a robot, then. Your self-awareness is an illusion, though this begs the question of how one could have an illusion of self-awareness if one wasn't self-aware to begin with, and anything you say or do isn't really meaningful.

Our thoughts are immaterial. The very act of thinking is in our experience not material. Words, f.e., have meaning that we shouldn't expect in a materialistic world because meaning itself is immaterial.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-23-2023 @ 11:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 640
    Given: 414

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bezprym View Post
    If God gave free will to people, then he cannot intervene in their decisions, hence is not almighty. If God is almighty, there's no free will.
    Not true.

Last Online
    05-26-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 5,979

0 Not allowed!

It isn't a non-concept, you are just incapable of higher levels of non-autistic immaterialistic thinking.

The gist of free will is that Man has Will and that he can Will something that is in His control to happen. Man is capable of being a cause on his own due to his free will. You used your Will to respond to me, for example.

If you deny any of this, you also deny your capability of knowing this, because you are simply a robot, then. Your self-awareness is an illusion, though this begs the question of how one could have an illusion of self-awareness if one wasn't self-aware to begin with, and anything you say or do isn't really meaningful.

Our thoughts are immaterial. The very act of thinking is in our experience not material. Words, f.e., have meaning that we shouldn't expect in a materialistic world because meaning itself is immaterial.
    Ignoring your strange insult, you are confusing free will and awareness - the two are separate things. I am aware of my heart beating but I do not consciously control it.

Man can will something? How? Would you try to explain animal behaviour by free will?

Last Online
    09-28-2023 @ 05:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pilot
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Trondheim
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1
    Taxonomy
    Nordid - Borreby
    Politics
    "Right wing extremist"
    Hero
    Erich Hartmann; Hans-Ulrich Rudel; Wernher von Braun; Charles Lindbergh
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,252
    Given: 3,832

1 Not allowed!

Once something has happened, we know it was the only thing that could have ever happened in this universe. It happened, and it was always going to happen. Rewinding time would be like rewinding a movie; the same thing would play out over and over again. The illusion of free will is important, but ultimately humans are bound by determinism.

Free will is the ability to have chosen option A in a universe where you chose option B. That simply isn't possible.
    Last edited by Aviator; 12-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    "The greatest sign of inferiority is from those who demand to be equal." - Friederich Nietzsche

Wir sichern die Freiheit unseres Volkes.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pilot
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Trondheim
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1
    Taxonomy
    Nordid - Borreby
    Politics
    "Right wing extremist"
    Hero
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I think it's a combination of both. But in American society, I think Free Will is 70% of the game, and Determinism is about 30% of where you will likely end up in life. However, if you're a woman in Saudi Arabia, it's pretty much going to be 5% free will and 95% determinism.
    That has to do more with freedom of action than actual free will.
    "The greatest sign of inferiority is from those who demand to be equal." - Friederich Nietzsche

Banned
    Last Online
    08-13-2018 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    Ignoring your strange insult, you are confusing free will and awareness - the two are separate things. I am aware of my heart beating but I do not consciously control it.
    Look at you talking. You know nothing about philosophy, and yet here you are telling me that I am confusing things.

Man can will something? How? Would you try to explain animal behaviour by free will?[/QUOTE]

No, I am not confusing anything. It is you who don't know any philosophy and yet have the galls to pretend to talk about it with someone who does. You didn't understand what my point about self-awareness, nor the implication of either free will and self-awareness on each other, was about like a complete utter idiot.

You assume men are animals. Men don't go only by instinct, unlike animals. Maybe you would have it otherwise, but that tells more about you than it does about mankind.

Again, if free will didn't exist, you wouldn't know that it didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Once something has happened, we know it was the only thing that could have ever happened in this universe. It happened, and it was always going to happen. Rewinding time would be like rewinding a movie; the same thing would play out over and over again. The illusion of free will is important, but ultimately humans are bound by determinism.

Free will is the ability to have chosen option A in a universe where you chose option B. That simply isn't possible.
    What a moronic question begging mind-fart of a non-sequitur that redefines free will completely to something utterly absurd, you WASP retard. Your definition of free will isn't coherent and begs-begs-begs the question. "Because you chose B instead of A, you don't have free will, because we don't have free will." The level of thinking is abysmal, but you can't help it being a WASP genetic CUCK.

If you have enough money for either a chocolate A or chocolate B but not both, you choose one of them, you can choose out of your free will either of them. It is free will unless there is no choice. It's really simple and you retards can't get it.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-19-2017 @ 11:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mr. Cogito
    Country
    Poland
    Region
    Lublin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,617
    Given: 2,771

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danaan View Post
    Not true.
    Aha.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pilot
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Trondheim
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1
    Taxonomy
    Nordid - Borreby
    Politics
    "Right wing extremist"
    Hero
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

What a moronic question begging mind-fart of a non-sequitur that redefines free will completely to something utterly absurd, you WASP retard. Your definition of free will isn't coherent and begs-begs-begs the question. "Because you chose B instead of A, you don't have free will, because we don't have free will." The level of thinking is abysmal, but you can't help it being a WASP genetic CUCK.

If you have enough money for either a chocolate A or chocolate B but not both, you choose one of them, you can choose out of your free will either of them. It is free will unless there is no choice. It's really simple and you retards can't get it.
    I'm neither Anglo-Saxon nor religious, you Gypsy. You clearly haven't taken any university level courses on Free Will. You're talking about Freedom of Action, which, in strictly philosophical terms, is different than Free Will.

http://www.informationphilosopher.co...of_action.html

You're really angry for no reason. Maybe you're the cuck? Isn't wife sharing common in the Roma community?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information