Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Apart from English what is the world's most sophisticated language IYO?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Britanny ( celtic land) and Normandy ( norse heritage)
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic( norse ),Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    North-Western European ( Norman)
    Ancestry
    Normans Viking mainly, Slave ( Slovenia) and some Celtic
    Country
    France
    Region
    Lower Normandy
    Taxonomy
    North Atlantid + Alpine
    Politics
    Skjaldmö
    Hero
    J.R.R. Tolkien,Magali Villeneuve, Aifé, Rollo, William the Conqueror
    Religion
    Ae ú-esteliach nad, estelio han, estelio ammen.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,070
    Given: 2,329

1 Not allowed!

English is the international language, used for trade, scientific and technological.
    While countries like France or Germany( examples) do not speak English natively, they use English to the publications of their patents and technological innovations, scientists, because these are areas where international cooperation is important, or in civilian and military technology area, to better export products.
    Thus, it helps to enrich the English language, which has a very rich vocabulary.
    Many of these terms do not all need translated when used by non-English speakers.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,481
    Given: 36,901

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kkk77 View Post
    What's a sophisticated language?

It's easy to me.
    Because you're Portuguese speaker. And Spanish and Portuguese are very similar to each other.

Spanish has a much more complex grammar, and a much more extensive vocabulary than English, and verbs are also much more complicated than English verbs, due to their many tenses (which you have to be careful to conjugate well, put in the right place of a sentence, as well as knowing in which many different situations to use one tense, or another, among the many different tenses that each verb has), unlike in English, where there is only a regular form, an infinitive, past, and past participle, and that's it.

And not only every Spanish verb has much more many different tenses than English, but also, each personal pronoun has its very different tenses for each verb. Go and figure.

lol at those who insist that Spanish is "so basic" and "easy".
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Banned
    Last Online
    04-05-2018 @ 07:02 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Español
    Ethnicity
    Celtíbera
    Ancestry
    Española
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    España
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,846
    Given: 2,495

1 Not allowed!

This question assumes a dubious fact.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-05-2018 @ 07:02 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Español
    Ethnicity
    Celtíbera
    Ancestry
    Española
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    España
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,846
    Given: 2,495

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    The Dutch case system only exists in some 'linguistic fossils' as remnants in idioms (e.g. 'bij dezen' which uses the dative form of 'deze'), but has eroded down throughout history in its live grammar. Germans cases still aren't difficult at all. What can be confusing are some exceptional nouns with vowel shifts in their plural form, but the inflection according to case is often very logical in German. Almost always the same paradigm.

I have only learned German through self-study as a teen, not enough to speak it fluently (due to my limited vocabulary and grasp over idioms). However, whenever I see a German text, the case system isn't my obstacle. Those words almost always have the form I expect them to be in (I know many the irregular ones of course, as well as the 'weak nouns').

IRL case system in german is very rarely used

Banned
    Last Online
    12-27-2018 @ 11:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Misanthrope
    Country
    Mongolia
    Politics
    Lefty Alt-right
    Hero
    Angela Merkel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,875
    Given: 2,197

0 Not allowed!

English is flexible not sophisticated.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2021 @ 10:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt & fag
    Ethnicity
    French (Normandy, Alsace), German (Saxony, Lower Silesia), Spanish Basque (Biskaya)
    Ancestry
    Some cheeky monkeys with opposable first digit
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Occitania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L20
    Taxonomy
    Probably subnordid
    Politics
    Libtardism, European federalism, anti-nationalism
    Religion
    never complain, never explain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,268
    Given: 1,561

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    Is not that easy and basic, as some people on here claim, either

I wonder if those who say that, know how many different tenses the Spanish verbs have, in comparison to English verbs, and the very complex and intricate Spanish grammar rules (to those non-native Spanish speakers trying to learn Spanish) in comparison to English grammar rules, aside from the fact that every Spanish words for objects or people has a male or female sex, unlike in English, and you have to be careful in preceding them with the right article ("el" or "la") depending on the sex of the world, and many things like that.
    Spanish is very similar to French. Same genders than in Spanish (le, la). Spanish was the common language spoken by my parents when they met each other (they are of mixed origins). Although I was born in France, I could speak Spanish before I started to learn French, so Spanish is somehow my mother tongue.
    I still remember my days of kindergarten in France. I couldn't speak any word of French, couldn't talk to the other kids, and I was playing on my own while the same kids were learning a song in French with the teacher.

But thanks to saturday-morning cartoons, I managed to learn French very quicly. Then I grew sick of Spanish, didn't want to speak it anymore, maybe because it made me feel so lonely at school.

Now French is my first language, and native speakers of Spanish notice immediately my slight French accent, the little grammar mistakes or wrong syntax when I speak.
    But I will never forget it.

In my opinion, French is a little bit more difficult to learn than Spanish for an American. I'm not sure.

Anyway, no language is easier to learn than Esperanto.

Just to compare...

Esperanto: a language for sissies...

I was blind but now I see
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-10-2024 @ 03:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,665
    Given: 5,623

0 Not allowed!

English is a very easy and simple language, not sophisticated at all, it's simplicity and objectivity makes it perfect as an international language, good for business etc...

Banned
    Last Online
    07-05-2023 @ 12:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtibero
    Country
    Spain
    Hero
    Don Pelayo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 953
    Given: 61

0 Not allowed!

- really is not sophisticated, although Americans have added some modern words in the technological era.

- is a simple and direct language, with short words, almost like computer programming

- it is spoken by hundreds of millions of people around the world because of the British colonies.

- Most modern and sophisticated words are of Latin origin, common to most languages ​​in Europe. Which makes conversion simpler and more attractive and friendly than other North-European languages with unpronounceable words.

- The support of the Orientals, who have adopted it since the technological era from the 60s and 70s (also because of the USA), is also important.

- besides the great commercial and scientific weight of USA, also cultural (hollywood movies), many people have learned English because of, and through the movies.

- British and American pop and rock music of the 70s, 80s have also influenced.

- Computer science, microsoft, apple, programming languages, video games, and above all internet. Have also originated in the USA, and this has been the confirmation.

And that is why it has become the global language.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2021 @ 10:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt & fag
    Ethnicity
    French (Normandy, Alsace), German (Saxony, Lower Silesia), Spanish Basque (Biskaya)
    Ancestry
    Some cheeky monkeys with opposable first digit
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Occitania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L20
    Taxonomy
    Probably subnordid
    Politics
    Libtardism, European federalism, anti-nationalism
    Religion
    never complain, never explain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,268
    Given: 1,561

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tietar View Post
    - really is not sophisticated, although Americans have added some modern words in the technological era.

- is a simple and direct language, with short words, almost like computer programming

- it is spoken by hundreds of millions of people around the world because of the British colonies.

- Most modern and sophisticated words are of Latin origin, common to most languages ​​in Europe. Which makes conversion simpler and more attractive and friendly than other North-European languages with unpronounceable words.

- The support of the Orientals, who have adopted it since the technological era from the 60s and 70s (also because of the USA), is also important.

- besides the great commercial and scientific weight of USA, also cultural (hollywood movies), many people have learned English because of, and through the movies.

- British and American pop and rock music of the 70s, 80s have also influenced.

- Computer science, microsoft, apple, programming languages, video games, and above all internet. Have also originated in the USA, and this has been the confirmation.

And that is why it has become the global language.
    I've nothing against English. To be sincere, it's certainly my favorite language: flexible, short words, simple grammar, a pleasant and harmonious of combination of Germanic and Latin roots, no headache when I read a text written in English.
    I like to listen to English/American rock music, sung by native speakers. But I hate this "International English for dummies", used as an international way of communication, with its poor vocabulary. Besides, why should the Americans, Brits, Aussies & Canucks be favored on the world stage ?

That's why I think Esperanto would have been a better choice for an international language: simple and concise rules, and above all: neutral. There's no native speaker of Esperanto (few exceptions to the rule only), in a conversation: everybody is equal.

My nickname "Melki" is an Esperanto slang word. It means "jerk off" or "masturbate" and is borrowed from German "melken" = "to milk (a cow)"

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian from Seville
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Grazilmediterranid
    Politics