White American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,266
    Given: 7,816

3 Not allowed!

Default Donald Trump appears to soften on Obamacare and Clinton emails

In first interview since winning election, Trump says he may not repeal Obamacare and Clinton’s prosecution not a priority

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nge-of-pledges

Donald Trump appears to have softened his stance on a range of sweeping campaign pledges, saying in his first interview since his election as US president that he might not repeal Obamacare and that prosecuting Hillary Clinton over confidential emails was not a priority.

The president-elect, who had said he would “immediately repeal and replace” Obamacare after taking office, told the Wall Street Journal he might instead seek to reform the policy, keeping the ban on insurers denying coverage for pre-existing conditions.

He said he would also look to retain the provision that allowed young adults to be insured on their parents’ policies, adding that he had been convinced of the virtues of the two points in his meeting with Barack Obama on Thursday.

Trump and his family also filmed an interview with CBS’s 60 Minutes to be broadcast on Sunday. The president-elect said he would amend, or repeal and replace Obamacare without any gaps in healthcare provision. “It will be just fine. It’s what I do. I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff,” he told Lesley Stahl.

Having called Clinton a “nasty woman” and “crooked” during the campaign, Trump struck a conciliatory tone towards his former opponent in both interviews. The Wall Street Journal asked about campaign promises to appoint a special prosecutor to pursue criminal charges against his Democratic rival over her use of a private email server to conduct official business as secretary of state.

“It’s not something I’ve given a lot of thought, because I want to solve healthcare, jobs, border control, tax reform,” Trump said. The statement may anger the president-elect’s core supporters, many of whom chanted “lock her up, lock her up,” at campaign rallies.

He told 60 Minutes the call in which Clinton conceded the election was “lovely”, adding: “It was a tough call for her, I can imagine ... She couldn’t have been nicer. She just said ‘congratulations Donald, well done’.”

“She’s very strong and very smart,” he said, adding that Bill Clinton had also called. “He couldn’t have been more gracious. He said it was an amazing run. One of the most amazing he had ever seen,” Trump said of the former president.

The Republican party’s shock victory has led to protests in some cities and on university campuses, and there have been allegations of racist and Islamophobic attacks. Trump told the Wall Street Journal he wanted to soothe the febrile public mood. “I want a country that loves each other,” he said . The best way to do this was by creating jobs.”

Asked whether the tone of his campaign had gone too far, he said: “No. I won.”

The vice president-elect, Mike Pence, will play a key role in his administration, serving as a liaison with Congress, Trump said. On Friday Trump put Pence in charge of his transition team, while his daughter, Ivanka, her husband, Jared Kushner, and his sons Eric and Donald Jr joined the executive committee. The PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel and Stephen Bannon, the former chairman of Breitbart News who directed Trump’s campaign, are also on the committee.

On foreign policy, Trump described resolving the Israel-Palestine conflict as “the ultimate deal … As a dealmaker, I’d like to do … the deal that can’t be made. And do it for humanity’s sake,” he said.

On Syria, he said his focus would be on fighting Islamic State rather than getting rid of the country’s president, Bashar al-Assad. “Russia is now totally aligned with Syria, and now you have Iran, which is becoming powerful, because of us, is aligned with Syria … Now we’re backing rebels against Syria, and we have no idea who these people are,” he said.

He said had received a “beautiful” letter from the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, and would speak to him soon.

Protesters across the US have been preparing for a weekend of demonstrations in response to Trump’s election, as other activists began work on plans to disrupt his inauguration in Washington early next year.

Rowdy protests against Trump and a campaign that was widely criticised as divisive have spread to cities all over the country following his victory on Tuesday, leading to dozens of arrests and a complaint from Trump on Twitter about “professional protesters” in one of his first public remarks as president-elect.

Early on Saturday morning a man was shot at a protest in Portland, Oregon, where police also reported that “burning projectiles” had been thrown at officers. Portland police announced 25 arrests and described the situation as a riot.

More than 10,000 people have signed up to attend a march at midday on Saturday from New York’s Union Square to Trump Tower, the future president’s home and corporate headquarters. “Join us in the streets! Stop Trump and his bigoted agenda,” the organisers of the said in a Facebook post.

The Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan said on their website they would be holding a “victory parade” in North Carolina next month. There have been reports of racist and other discriminatory attacks following the election. The Southern Poverty Law Center has logged more than 200 such incidents since Wednesday. Richard Cohen, the organisation’s president, told the New York Times: “I don’t think there’s any question that there’s been an increase.”

In Europe, politicians expressed deep misgivings about the Republican’s victory and attacked Theresa May’s hopes that the result would lead to a good trade deal for Britain as delusional.

Axel Schafer, a senior German politician, told the Times: “Even before Tuesday the chances were rather low, now the hope for this kind of deal seems delusional ... With a more inward-looking Trump administration, it is in United Kingdom’s own interest to seek close cooperation with their EU partners in this field.”

Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European commission, said Trump needed to learn “what Europe is and how it works.”

“I think we will waste two years before Mr Trump tours the world he does not know,” he said.

Boris Johnson, the UK foreign secretary, described the EU’s reaction as “whinge-o-rama”.

He said on Saturday he would not be attending an emergency European foreign ministers’ meeting to discuss the election result.

A Foreign Office spokesman told the Press Association: “There is a regular foreign affairs council meeting on Monday where a range of issues can be discussed in the normal way.

“We do not see the need for an additional meeting on Sunday because the US election timetable is long established. An act of democracy has taken place, there is a transition period and we will work with the current and future administrations to ensure the best outcomes for Britain.”

The former MI6 chief Sir John Sawers struck a cautionary tone in an interview with the BBC’s World At One. “We’re getting back into a world which is quite dangerous,” he said, raising the prospect of the US going to war with Russia or China.

Last Online
    04-01-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,266
    Given: 7,816

0 Not allowed!

Any opinions?

Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 04:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Nordman
    Country
    Sweden
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Those who fight for what they believe in
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 1,247

4 Not allowed!

He might just act soft since all leftists are protesting, to later be able to say, "I tried to work with all kinds of people, to come together as a nation, but they just kept going after me, so if they refuse to cooperate, I have no choice".

Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 02:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28,799
    Given: 25,904

8 Not allowed!

He's going to soften or reverse his stand on many of the outlandish things he's said. Being a rebel candidate stumping out in the mud fields of Ohio vs being a president in the seat of power in Washington are two completely different things. Plus, it's not like you don't have a history of 40 years of him flip flopping at the soonest sniff of some self aggrandizing opportunity to lean back on. Come on. Get real. This is a modern day PT Barnum we're talking about.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Berahthraban View Post
    He might just act soft since all leftists are protesting, to later be able to say, "I tried to work with all kinds of people, to come together as a nation, but they just kept going after me, so if they refuse to cooperate, I have no choice".
    Honestly, at some level, he's in over his head. Obamacare is not something he's going to tackle right now. He's got way more priorities, the first is stabilizing his rule.

And truthfully, he's likely seeing the office of the President as a great tool to establish his family and children as America's new royalty and build a great new political dynasty, the new Kennedys. They will become the new Washington establishment, just mark my words a few years from now.

Only a fool with no understanding of power or ability to judge human character would think otherwise.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    He's going to soften or reverse his stand on many of the outlandish things he's said. Being a rebel candidate stumping out in the mud fields of Ohio vs being a president in the seat of power in Washington are two completely different things. Plus, it's not like you don't have a history of 40 years of him flip flopping at the soonest sniff of some self aggrandizing opportunity to lean back on. Come on. Get real. This is a modern day PT Barnum we're talking about.
    Lol, the real face of Trump is slowly emerging out of the so called promises and etc he made during the presidential race. The real face of the shill is slowly showing it's ugly face once again.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh900 View Post
    Lol, the real face of Trump is slowly emerging out of the so called promises and etc he made during the presidential race. The real face of the shill is slowly showing it's ugly face once again.
    I'm still glad that Hillary didn't win. But it's clear as day what kind of person Trump is, he's an egocentric opportunist. What is right for Trump is what's right, period. So depending on where he is and what he wants, he'll say totally contradictory things.

As long as he works on improving the economy and staying away from foreign wars, that's all I expect of him. Everything else is just a charade.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

Honestly, at some level, he's in over his head. Obamacare is not something he's going to tackle right now. He's got way more priorities, the first is stabilizing his rule.

And truthfully, he's likely seeing the office of the President as a great tool to establish his family and children as America's new royalty and build a great new political dynasty, the new Kennedys. They will become the new Washington establishment, just mark my words a few years from now.

Only a fool with no understanding of power or ability to judge human character would think otherwise.
    His children are married to wealthy Zionist hook-nosed parasites that has no empathy for the western white world and etc..that alone can tell you that Trump will most likely emerge as the new Bush or Obama.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-27-2018 @ 11:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Misanthrope
    Country
    Mongolia
    Politics
    Lefty Alt-right
    Hero
    Angela Merkel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,875
    Given: 2,197

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh900 View Post
    He was your hero a few days ago. What happened?

Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 04:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Nordman
    Country
    Sweden
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Those who fight for what they believe in
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 1,247

1 Not allowed!

I think you're wrong in all aspects. Sure, this might happen, it definitely could. But, there is no guarantee, like you're implying. Instead, he could look to his heart and decide to give it his all, actually listening to the people and realizing that he could be the change that America needs (ending corruption, political correctness and "demokratur"), and fight vigorously to make it happen, making enemies with those who deserve it. This is the difference between a man and a cuck. Not caring if others are content with your actions. Time will tell what is to be of his rule. There is no way of knowing if he will continue on the righteous path, or give in to the pressure of the elites.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information