Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any interesting family histories?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-24-2024 @ 05:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Highlander Greek
    Ancestry
    Mountains....mountains Gandalf
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    E-Z5018
    mtDNA
    J1c
    Taxonomy
    Dinarized Alpine Pontid
    Hero
    Herodotus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,066
    Given: 11,454

8 Not allowed!

I remember when my grandparents used to tell me stories from ww2 when they were little kids.

My paternal grandma used to tell me that when the Axis declared war on Greece, school teachers were trying to explain to the kids the meaning of war and how to be safe but they couldn't understand....until the first Stuka planes appeared with their nightmarish sirens....I remember her saying that the Italians were nicer towards them but they would flirt and sometimes "harass" the Greek women while the Germans were keeping the feelings for themselves and had a colder character. The Germans also helped in eradicating the lice and bed bugs that plagued her town. The nightmare wouldn't stop there since her hometown was a target for the future communist guerrillas who used to bomb the town with their mortars. (one of the rockets hit the court of her school killing many students who were outside for the break.

My paternal grandpa lost his mother when he was only 2 years old. His father was a very poor farmer and it was impossible to feed him so he resulted living temporarily in an orphanage. When the war was declared, he was around 12 and the orphanages had to close. He and other kids from his hometown took an adventurous and very dangerous road back to their village. The trip was 2-4 days long since they were walking in the forests and mountains of Pindus. In one occasion he and his companions almost died from the Italian bombers(I remember him crying whenever he was narrating that scene.) After a very long journey, he was finally out of his village and as soon as he came closer, he recognized his father and he run as fast as he could towards him, since he hadn't seen him for 5 years.

Im pretty sure many other Greeks will have similar stories to tell or share since we faced WW2, famine, and a bloody civil war.
    Those are my "white privileged" ancestors that people like Sanders and other ignorant liberal Americans have the nerve to talk about.....

Last Online
    05-26-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 5,979

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Valmont View Post
    And enjoy every moment because we should remember that our existence is only temporary.

Someday we'll have been dead for hundreds of years ago and our descendants (if we have any) will wonder about our lives and say.

"What if my ancestor Valmont had never done this? He would have never done this and this would have never happened!"
    Que sera, sera. I believe.

Last Online
    06-06-2023 @ 11:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Nord-Atlantid + Keltid
    Hero
    Buffy Summers
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,346
    Given: 1,072

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    Que sera, sera. I believe.
    Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see. Que sera sera.
    Last edited by Valmont; 11-15-2016 at 04:38 PM.

La Vecchia Guardia Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romantic
    Ethnicity
    Italicus nobilis
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Corsica
    Y-DNA
    J2 or whatever
    mtDNA
    H something
    Taxonomy
    Apenninid
    Hero
    Alan Lomax
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,757
    Given: 3,830

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Valmont View Post
    It's interesting to see that WWI affected so many members' families on here. And that there were not necessarily on the same side but the outcomes were the same.

Would our ancestors have guessed that their descendants would be chatting with their ennemies' descendants a hundred years after the events?
    It's really proof that both world wars were unnecessary and caused so much needless death and destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeroostah View Post
    I remember when my grandparents used to tell me stories from ww2 when they were little kids.

My paternal grandma used to tell me that when the Axis declared war on Greece, school teachers were trying to explain to the kids the meaning of war and how to be safe but they couldn't understand....until the first Stuka planes appeared with their nightmarish sirens....I remember her saying that the Italians were nicer towards them but they would flirt and sometimes "harass" the Greek women while the Germans were keeping the feelings for themselves and had a colder character. The Germans also helped in eradicating the lice and bed bugs that plagued her town. The nightmare wouldn't stop there since her hometown was a target for the future communist guerrillas who used to bomb the town with their mortars. (one of the rockets hit the court of her school killing many students who were outside for the break.

My paternal grandpa lost his mother when he was only 2 years old. His father was a very poor farmer and it was impossible to feed him so he resulted living temporarily in an orphanage. When the war was declared, he was around 12 and the orphanages had to close. He and other kids from his hometown took an adventurous and very dangerous road back to their village. The trip was 2-4 days long since they were walking in the forests and mountains of Pindus. In one occasion he and his companions almost died from the Italian bombers(I remember him crying whenever he was narrating that scene.) After a very long journey, he was finally out of his village and as soon as he came closer, he recognized his father and he run as fast as he could towards him, since he hadn't seen him for 5 years.

Im pretty sure many other Greeks will have similar stories to tell or share since we faced WW2, famine, and a bloody civil war.
    Those are my "white privileged" ancestors that people like Sanders and other ignorant liberal Americans have the nerve to talk about.....
    There are many similar stories in Italy as well, whether they were being bombed by the Germans or the Americans. The old timers can barely even talk about what happened.

Banned Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik's Avatar
    Last Online
    11-16-2018 @ 10:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germano-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Irish, German & Scandinavian-American
    Ancestry
    Irish, German, Swedish, Norwegian
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    U2e1a
    Taxonomy
    KN/Alpinid or KN/minor Baltid
    Politics
    Left-wing
    Religion
    Atheist/philosophical Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,239
    Given: 10,259

2 Not allowed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Doty

direct ancestor - if you read about his life, really interesting character.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,437
    Given: 36,796

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    My maternal grand father (the father of my Spanish mom) was a leftist republican during the Spanish civil war. Mallorca Island (where my maternal Spanish family is from) was occupied by the National Forces (the rebel forces led by Franco), and my grandpa was arrested and sent to a concentration camp (the Bellver castle, in Palma de Mallorca) where he was about to be shot.

If it wasn't because his dad had contacts with some military personnel, and got this way to have him released, my grandpa would have been executed without meeting my grandma, and my mom would not exist, and let alone my grandpa would had settled later in Venezuela, as he did, with my grandma and my mom (when she was 5 years old).

Obviously, I would not exist, and I would not be writing on this forum.

You would not have Alnortedelsur on this forum, lol
    Fixed in bold

I wrongly put "paternal" when I actually meant the father of my mom.
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Bloodline of 5/42 Evzone Regiment
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Byzantine Rumelia
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Christian Theocratic
    Hero
    Christian Emperors
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,888
    Given: 4,807

2 Not allowed!

On my fathers side when Macedonia was liberated from Turks in 1913, the Turks left huge land space they vacated - three families targetted the vacated land as there were no real laws after the liberation three different families went on a Game of Thrones type war to win this landmass the Turks left behind. All three families were farmers - so fighting took place around the area and after few years and few deaths my great grandfather claimed the land in his 20s and still one of the biggest farms in the town. Other families have not come for vengeance or anything like that they took some land nearby and as you have it the three family combatants have become each others best man - Sarakatsanoi superior... only in Greece.

My mothers side during WW2 communists were targetting traders and nationalists in Thessaloniki city more or less killing them if they didnt accept the Bolshevik doctorine. One day my maternal grand mother was trying to escape the communists and the family had to jump over this wire fence to escape as the family jumped over my grandmother was very young and not very atheletic at the time her top lip got caught in the barb wire ripping her top lip.. to this day her top lip is so huge!
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12

Definition of untrustworthy and loose character are those that don't believe in God.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Judane
    Ancestry
    Jewish and Danish
    Country
    Denmark
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,891
    Given: 1,681

6 Not allowed!

Can't remember whether I've shared it already, but my great x7 grandfather was imprisoned for helping a "witch" named Anne (leaving out her surname). She was sentenced in the mid 18th century for setting fire to a farmhouse and beheaded. In the local lore for the next century or so Anne was a beautiful maiden who tempered with magic and tragically paid with her life for her mistake. In reality, her story was mixed up with that of another young "witch" named Anne who denied Christ and the holy spirit in court (Gasp!). "My" Anne was neither a witch nor young. Her true story was uncovered in the 1930's by a researcher at the county archive and published in a two part article along the story of the other woman. She was an old beggar who lived in a woodshed on a large farm in rural Jutland. One day the farmer decided to kick the old woman out for whichever reason. If I recall correctly it was close to winter time, which could easily mean death for her. She allegedly sought revenge that night, setting fire to the thatched roof of the farmhouse wherein the man and his family were sleeping soundly. Her scheme failed when the fire was noticed and extinguished, and Anne was captured. She was judged and sentenced to death by beheading for the attempted murder of the entire family, denied royal pardon and thrown in prison to await her execution. Here my ancestor Jens comes into the picture. He was a young, soon-to-be-married man who worked as a guard at the prison. Together with another lad, he was in charge of guarding Anne's cell. Officially, my ancestor claimed he had removed Anne's cuffs and allowed her step outside the prison, turning his back at her so she could pee in privacy. Personally, I doubt anyone could be so stupid (or slow compared to an old woman). I'm convinced he took pity on her and let her escape. His mother would have been around her age, if she was still alive. Either way, Anne was gone. As punishment, Jens and the other guard were locked in Anne's cell for two weeks. She was caught a year down the road in a far off parish, held captive until the royal guard arrived and beheaded on a hill outside a small village.
    Spoiler!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-08-2022 @ 01:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo American
    Ancestry
    Anglo/German/Dutch/Norse American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Oregon
    Y-DNA
    E-V12
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Politics
    Right
    Hero
    Evola
    Religion
    Traditionalist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23,082
    Given: 56,861

0 Not allowed!

Had an ancestor murdered by horse thieves, another accused of witchcraft during the Salem witch trials, of course come over on the Mayflower, etc.

Last Online
    06-06-2023 @ 11:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Nord-Atlantid + Keltid
    Hero
    Buffy Summers
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,346
    Given: 1,072

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDaisy View Post
    My German ancestor came to Ecuador for an engineering/teaching job in the early 1900s. He originally planned to return to Germany, but he changed his mind on June 28 1914. He had a bunch of kids with a local woman and died when my great grandmother was pretty young. That made her grow up poor and uneducated without too much German influence. When she had kids she really pushed her kids to do well in school. She would beat them up if they didn't get the top grades. My grandmother now has a lot of degrees and she ended up super uptight.
    I could understand why your German ancestor changed his mind lol.

So was it your grandmother that moved from Ecuador to Canada?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information