Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default New English anthem.

Considering the anthem being sung by English sportsmen at the Common Wealth Games will be 'Jerusalem', and apparently all 50+ million English people were asked () as to whether this song was an anthem which represents and conveys the English, I was wondering what song you would believe to be the best to represent us English?

I personally don't mind shouting at the top of my voice GSTQ, seeing as the Queen is more Scottish than English and this is a twofold "fuck you you Scots wankers" hymn for me, but ultimately I'd prefer a more sedate, more poetic love song to the nation which has birthed and raised me.

With that in mind, I have fallen in love with Ralph McTell's 'England'. A real humdinger of a love song dedicated to the nation of England. It is reminiscent of the pace by which the Irish sing 'Soldiers Song' which infuses history and current ethnic struggle. It also recalls the passion of 'Land of my Father's' which is dutifully sung by the Welsh, or the Scots favourite of 'Flower of Scotland'.

All other choices for an English anthem pail into insignificance compared to McTell's love song.

What say you all?

Last Online
    06-26-2022 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

0 Not allowed!

Any country that keeps on going on about changing its national anthem is finished. England/Britain has the oldest national anthem in the world.

In Mercia we finally settled on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDWFBtyA4M

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

0 Not allowed!

Hmm. I'd heard you mention this McTell song before, but this is the first time I've actually got round to listening to it. hmm........ I don't think it fits very well for this purpose. The chorus nearly does, but it's too sweet and conversational, and not VERY easy to belt out for the non-singer.

Heh, and he mentions Cornwall, Beorny, whadyer fink o that?

Hmm, and what's this about?:
    And our accents and our colours change

These sort of songs need a bit of historical story to em, not just musings on how we feel at home cos of our experience growing up here.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

[YOUTUBE]8VgjxPcVols[/YOUTUBE]
    Though the beginning sounds a bit queer.

Come to think of it the whole song save the riffs sounds queer, but his heart is in the right place.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Hey Brennus, if you're going to post "You're mother sucks strangers cock" onto my profile, you can at least learn how to speak English first. It's your mother.

And what's with the dago-style insults, anyway?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    The chorus nearly does, but it's too sweet and conversational, and not VERY easy to belt out for the non-singer.
    That's true. It is the only downfall in my eyes. The power and range of the average English anthem singing man is not one to set your scales by, but...it can be altered in both tempo and pitch to cater for the more tone deaf of us English

Heh, and he mentions Cornwall, Beorny, whadyer fink o that?
    LOL! I knew someone would say something about that particular line. My only way around it is we should plead Ralph to alter it from going West to North to East to North, in which case the line will go: "from Kent in to Northumberland..."

It is suspicious. I'm glad you noticed it too, but I prefer to stick my head in the sand and think he's mentioning the passion of regional allegiances. A prime example would be the War of the Roses, perhaps?

These sort of songs need a bit of historical story to em, not just musings on how we feel at home cos of our experience growing up here.
    And yet 99% of us have no real discernible recollection of history and only a love and appreciation of personal musings.

Last Online
    05-08-2012 @ 08:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Irish
    Country
    England
    Politics
    Summon the Fyrd
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

I am happy with 'Jerusalem'

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    It seems nothing can be wrote, sung or spoken now without mentioning such pernicious rubbish.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,736
    Given: 8,694

0 Not allowed!

This is the future anthem

[YOUTUBE]bAN7Ts0xBo[/YOUTUBE]

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Brennus - posting "WOOF! Shut your whore mouth before I cum in it." onto my profile is not the most efficient way of announcing your homosexuality to the world.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-08-2013 @ 12:54 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germ-manic
    Ethnicity
    Eurotrash Girl
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Essex
    Politics
    Anarcho-Stalinist Agrarian Commienazism ★♨☭卐
    Religion
    ☠ Death Eaterism ☠
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

Just as it would be improper for the English national myth in song to be inspiration in building a Mekka, Babylon, or Zimbabwe, so it is unnacceptable for the national anthem to be sung to Jew-rusalem, no matter how pretty the melody or inspiring the words otherwise.
    This is instinctively understood by the People. See how the noble, nordic Aryans in the UK women's hockey team awaken and refuse to sing to Jewrusalem midway through, with some unable to supress a laugh at the very idea.
    It's also too long.
    'God Save The Thing' is not a proper national anthem either and is the worst 'anthem' out there musically and lyrically. Its words consist soley of praise to the (alien) ruler by the (subjected) People. It would be half-acceptable if (i) there actually was an English monarchy and (ii) the lyrics contained at least a little mention of the glory of the people, rather than the personal glory of various aristocrats. Add to that the tune is blander to the ear than chewing wet cardboard to the palate.
    That leaves 'land of hope and glory', which is OK but still too turgid for my liking. I disagree strongly with Bumwulfwer that the anthem should be 'sedate', when it should be epic and stirring, like the scientifically-proven-to-be-best anthem, the Russian one.
    What is needed for a new, national era, is a new, national anthem, the first 'real' anthem of the glorious English People. I propose that, when the revolution comes, this song be written by the People's songsmiths: Stock, Aitken & Waterman; and given an official recording by the People's singer, the flame-hared Yorkshireman, mighty scion of vikings, Rick Astley.
    Such a combination will write a glorious People's Anthem to remain fresh for all tomorrow's centuries, yet will also hark back to the zenith of human arts and aesthetics (the 1980's) and the place of English People at the cutting edge and apogee of this era; the product will be an electro-totalitarian anthem that would leave all other peoples agog in awe and spiritually broken in competition at the very sound of it.

This is my dream for England! You say: can we fix it? I say: Yes, we can! [img]http://******************/flag-smiley-7324.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information