Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dial-a-Ghost on Thomas Edison's Least Successful Invention: the Spirit Phone

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Svipdag View Post
    Actually, my profile hasn't been brought up to date. I'm really 86 years old, having been born in 1930, just 9 months after the stock market crash ! But, yes, I remember things of which today's generation hasn't even heard,Such as the scissor grinder who carried his huge hand-cranked grindstone in a wheelbarrow and would sharpen your scissors for 50 cents "Too much!" said my grandmother. Or the sidewalk tintype photographer who would take your one-of-a kind picture on a small blackened tin plate for 10 cents, processed on the spot. Or horse-drawn milk wagons from which the milkman would deliver milk in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers to an insulated metal box on your back porch. Or turning in blown-out light bulbs to get free ones from the power company. Or......I could go on for hours.
    Sharpening your scissors, that is certainly old school. Nowadays people don't mend; if your kitchen knife looses it's sharpness, you by a new one.

In contrast your story on turning in blown-out light bulbs was interesting, in that light bulbs were one of the first things that were intentionally engineered to not to last. The first step towards disposable throw-away society.

The worlds oldest lightbulb has been glowing since 1901: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lightbulb.html

Last Online
    07-16-2017 @ 07:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Eivørnese
    Country
    Faroes
    Hero
    Greasy pizza
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 294

2 Not allowed!

Actually, my profile hasn't been brought up to date. I'm really 86 years old, having been born in 1930, just 9 months after the stock market crash ! But, yes, I remember things of which today's generation hasn't even heard,Such as the scissor grinder who carried his huge hand-cranked grindstone in a wheelbarrow and would sharpen your scissors for 50 cents "Too much!" said my grandmother. Or the sidewalk tintype photographer who would take your one-of-a kind picture on a small blackened tin plate for 10 cents, processed on the spot. Or horse-drawn milk wagons from which the milkman would deliver milk in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers to an insulated metal box on your back porch. Or turning in blown-out light bulbs to get free ones from the power company. Or......I could go on for hours.
    I send my respect, good sir. And you are young in some way to me, my grandfathers are about a decade or two older.

Quote Originally Posted by Etain View Post
    Yes. I remember the times with him more clearly than anything that happened from 2004-2010.Which is still fuzzy for me.
    Memory's weird like that.
    I'm sorry to hear. you are too young to be without a parent. I'm sorry the hug faces are smiling, there's no consoling hug smilies.

Quote Originally Posted by Valtaves View Post
    Sharpening your scissors, that is certainly old school. Nowadays people don't mend; if your kitchen knife looses it's sharpness, you by a new one.

In contrast your story on turning in blown-out light bulbs was interesting, in that light bulbs were one of the first things that were intentionally engineered to not to last. The first step towards disposable throw-away society.

The worlds oldest lightbulb has been glowing since 1901: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lightbulb.html
    In my family we still sharpen knives and scissors.

There are movies based on the ghost phone. I think one of them used the old machine and there's one called white noise or something like this. I don't think its the same movie.

Last Online
    05-14-2017 @ 08:59 PM
    Made in Ukraine and transported to America
    Meta-Ethnicity
    From the land of Slavs
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Boringggg
    Hero
    Trinity God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,310
    Given: 3,146

2 Not allowed!

I want one. I don't believe in it. But doesn't mean I can't have fun with it and scare people or something lol.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Eivørnese
    Country
    Faroes
    Hero
    Greasy pizza
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by UkrainianGirl View Post
    I want one. I don't believe in it. But doesn't mean I can't have fun with it and scare people or something lol.
    If you got one even for fun, after being alone with it, in a cold dark night, you will start to believe. You'll begin to hear small noises and it will be nothing to you at first. But then you will stare at it, leave he room and hearit again. You will check for foul play and when you fail to find one, you will take hold of it with such force and destroy it. Then the thought will reach your mind -oh no! I payed good money for this.

You will sweep and dispose the shattered machine. But the nightmare is long from over, you can't sleep or dare be alone. The sounds are stronger than ever. You have released a can of worms, opened pandora's box in your home. You payed to seal your fate!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    From the land of Slavs
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Boringggg
    Hero
    Trinity God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marzipan View Post
    If you got one even for fun, after being alone with it, in a cold dark night, you will start to believe. You'll begin to hear small noises and it will be nothing to you at first. But then you will stare at it, leave he room and hearit again. You will check for foul play and when you fail to find one, you will take hold of it with such force and destroy it. Then the thought will reach your mind -oh no! I payed good money for this.

You will sweep and dispose the shattered machine. But the nightmare is long from over, you can't sleep or dare be alone. The sounds are stronger than ever. You have released a can of worms, opened pandora's box in your home. You payed to seal your fate!

Heck yes! Paranormal here I come AGAIN! Lol. Fascinating. Yes, I'm weird lol.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Eivørnese
    Country
    Faroes
    Hero
    Greasy pizza
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by UkrainianGirl View Post
    Heck yes! Paranormal here I come AGAIN! Lol. Fascinating. Yes, I'm weird lol.
    Again? I woke up a rehabilitating entity. Ha!

You got ghostbusters on speed dial.

Weird, nah! Fun, yes!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    From the land of Slavs
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Boringggg
    Hero
    Trinity God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marzipan View Post
    Again? I woke up a rehabilitating entity. Ha!

You got ghostbusters on speed dial.

Weird, nah! Fun, yes!
    Yes, again. And great you understand. It is fun

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,883
    Given: 1,005

1 Not allowed!

BTW, the "New lamps for old" policy for light bulbs arose from the fact that the lead-in wires which connected the base to the filament in the older light bulbs were of platinum. After the War, an alloy called platinite was invented which would seal to glass as well as platinum did and there was no longer anything worth having to be salvaged from blown-out light bulbs.
    Last edited by Svipdag; 12-04-2016 at 02:16 AM.
    "This is not my time; this is not my world; these are not my people." - Martin H. Francis

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Eivørnese
    Country
    Faroes
    Hero
    Greasy pizza
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

BTW, the "New lamps for old" policy for light bulbs arose the fact that the lead-in wires which connected the base to the filament in the older light bulbs were of platinum. After the War, an alloy called platinite was invented which would seal to glass as well as platinum did and there was no longer anything worth having to be salvaged from blown-out light bulbs.
    Nothing is saved from deteriorating quality. Though the new ones of recent are somehow suppose to be better and conserve energy. What's your opinion on them?

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,883
    Given: 1,005

1 Not allowed!

The only INCANDESCENT light bulbs with which I have had any trouble are those in the ceiling fan in my kitchen. The vibration of the fan tends to break the filament. I have had little problem if any with compact fluorescent lamps and none from LED lamps. So, I don't think that the quality is inferior.

I remember having lots of bulbs to return every month for new bulbs when I was a lad in the 1930's and World War II, so I doubt that those bulbs lasted any better than, and probably much less than today's.
    "This is not my time; this is not my world; these are not my people." - Martin H. Francis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information