PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Arguments for the Existence of God - Page 12
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Arguments for the Existence of God

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 01:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Secular Liberal, Progressive Leftist
    Hero
    Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Robert Spencer, Bernie Sanders, Atheism-is-Unstoppable
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,051
    Given: 756

0 Not allowed!

Counter Apologetics

When there is not sufficient evidence to support a claim, the default position should be rational skepticism if the goal is to minimize the number of false beliefs and maximize the number of true beliefs one holds. A central problem of faith is that if it can form a reasonable basis for believing one proposition without evidence, why does it not also form a reasonable basis for believing a contrary proposition? By what means can faith be discerned to lead to true beliefs, when it can be used with equal effectiveness to support conflicting propositions? One cannot argue that faith claims can be rationally evaluated in any way whatsoever to demonstrate their truth, because once faith claims are rationally considered against alternative hypotheses, the claims are either 1) no longer held (in favor of an alternative claim) or 2) no longer based on faith (i.e., rationality forms the basis for the claim). Atheists maintain that there is no strong evidence for the presence of a higher power, which is why theists need faith -- to replace evidence. Ironically, many theists have the confidence to deny the existence of fairy tale creatures from other mythologies and cultures, and deities of other religions, for which there is likewise no strong evidence.

Not believing in fairies or Father Christmas is not an act of faith, because those who are making these claims have the burden of proof, and must provide evidence to support the acceptance of such propositions. Technically, disbelief of a claim, when evidence is lacking, requires less a statement of faith, in the same sense that 0 is less than 1. Definitionally, it doesn't make sense to say that disbelieving "takes more faith," as it doesn't require any faith not to place one's belief in unsubstantiated truth claims. An analogous claim would be, "Not playing sports requires more athletic ability than playing football." However, when discussing the faith required to be an atheist, it is helpful to point out that two basic forms of atheism exist, and each could be described as requiring different degrees of faith:

weak (or default) atheism - the position of atheists who simply fails to accept propositions for the existence of a god; requires no faith because no claims are accepted as true without evidence. The weak atheist, therefore, does not accept that absence of evidence for a god is evidence of absence.

strong atheism - the position of atheists who believe actively that there is no god; requires more faith because the positive claim that there are no gods is accepted as true without evidence. The strong atheist, therefore, accepts that absence of evidence for a god is evidence of absence.

An atheist may wish to bring up this distinction to derail the "Atheism is a kind of faith" argument, as most consider themselves weak/default atheists. Some theists, such as Ray Comfort, may try to make the claim that this category is actually agnostics, as they usually represent strong atheism as the standard atheist position. One can point out that atheism categorically is, without belief in any gods, and that both definitions of atheism fall within this broader category. If the theist refuses to accept the self-applied label of atheist, then the atheist can suggest that the theist is making a distinction without a difference, and that moving on with the conversation is likely more productive than further semantic arguments (Careful however, as the theist might use their subjective definition to formulate strawman arguments later).

A final point the atheist could consider is that religions assert that faith is a virtue, so it hardly makes sense to criticize the atheist for having as much faith as, or more faith than, the theist. A reasonable question to directly follow the theist's objection to this would be, "Does faith prove me wrong?" (as in "Does basing a viewpoint on faith invalidate it automatically?") If the answer is "yes," the theist is either admitting their beliefs are not faith-based, or that they are wrong according to this reasoning. If the answer is "no," the theist is admitting that faith doesn't distinguish between the truth of his or her beliefs and the beliefs of the atheist.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Robert Spencer, Bernie Sanders, Atheism-is-Unstoppable
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Atheism is based on faith

Apologists often claim that atheism is based on faith — that is, not believing in a god requires just as much faith, if not more, than belief. Norman Geisler expressed this argument in the title of his book, I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist.

"To be a [sic] Atheist one would have to be omniscient, knowing all things, having a perfect knowledge of the universe, to say they absolutely know God does not exist. For one to do this they would have to personally inspected all places in the present known universe and in all time, having explored everywhere seen and unseen."

"Atheism is a faith in that which has not been proved."

"If God is outside of nature, then science can neither prove nor disprove His existence. Atheism itself must therefore be considered a form of blind faith, in that it adopts a belief system that cannot be defended on the basis of pure reason."
    — Francis Collins, The Language of God

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    You say you don't see God so "he" doesn't exist?

Do you see thoughts of some person's brain? No? Means that person and his/her brain doesn't exist...or?

Well you don't see thoughts of that person, where is evidence those thoughts exist?

Should doctor see human thoughts in brain while he operates on brain? He see only ORGAN - Brain.

Be open minded, fuck religions they have nothin to do with God, they never did.
    I am an atheist - strong atheist - I assert there is no god, and don't just disbelieve in it (weak atheism).
    I am a Gnostic Atheist - I don't believe in God, and claim to know god does not exist.
    Whereas, a wak atheist or agnostic atheist would say - I don't believe in God, but don't claim to know God does not exist.
    Depending on the definition of God:

God definitions can be
    1) Illogical or internally contradictory
    2) Not corresponding to reality (not true)
    3) Unfalsifiable = Unable to be proven false

For unfalsifiable definitions of God, I am an agnostic atheist.

Are you Gnostic or Agnostic?

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,828
    Given: 13,088

0 Not allowed!

Causality (as we humans understand it) is a concept native to planet Earth, and, perhaps, irrelevant in the context of the OP's question.
    If you see a post in red font made by my username, that means that it is Pompey's post, not mine.

Veteran Judicator Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 11:21 AM
    Ethnicity
    Half Czech, half Basque
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Basque Country
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,275
    Given: 8,187

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Agapetos View Post
    I am an atheist - strong atheist - I assert there is no god, and don't just disbelieve in it (weak atheism).
    I am a Gnostic Atheist - I don't believe in God, and claim to know god does not exist.
    Whereas, a wak atheist or agnostic atheist would say - I don't believe in God, but don't claim to know God does not exist.
    Depending on the definition of God:

God definitions can be
    1) Illogical or internally contradictory
    2) Not corresponding to reality (not true)
    3) Unfalsifiable = Unable to be proven false

For unfalsifiable definitions of God, I am an agnostic atheist.

Are you Gnostic or Agnostic?
    This is an extremely strong position. What does some entity need to satisfy in the order to be ‘god’ by your definition?

Last Online
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly Atlantid with Dinaric influence.
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,591
    Given: 48,320

0 Not allowed!

I am an agnostic so I have no opinion for that matter.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Half Czech, half Basque
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Basque Country
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    I am an agnostic so I have no opinion for that matter.
    That'd mean, among other things, your position is that you are not convinced that god exists, which makes you an atheist.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post
    That'd mean, among other things, your position is that you are not convinced that god exists, which makes you an atheist.
    Not really. Atheists adamantly contend and speak out loud that God does not exist (some of them will be willing to thoroughly willing why). My stance and answer is: "I don't really know", & ''I don't strictly follow any theistic religion or spirituality in which it's a main focus point''.

''Not convinced that God exists'' - is pretty much the definition of agnosticism. Have you ever heard about it? I have some doubts that you have. Atheists strictly think that there's no God. I am of the opinion that it may exist or it may not exist.
    Last edited by Roy; 04-10-2019 at 08:02 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Half Czech, half Basque
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Basque Country
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Not really. Atheists adamantly contend and speak out loud that God does not exist (some of them will be willing to thoroughly willing why). My stance and answer is: "I don't really know", & ''I don't strictly follow any theistic religion or spirituality in which it's a main focus point''.
    It is of course not necessary to do that, to be considered an atheist, as atheism is generally defined as a mere lack of belief in god or gods. It may be tricky, but let me elaborate. A statement 'one either believes X is false or one believes X is correct' is false - if I'd hand you a jar filled with a lot of chocolate cookies and asked you, whether you are convinced, that the number of cookies is odd, would it be rational to say yes? No, it would not. That of course does not mean, you should believe the number is even, for the very same reasons. The correct approach would be to say 'I have no reason to belive the number is odd, nor do I have a reason to believe it is even'. Conviction is an 'active action', so to say. Our situation is different. A statement 'one is either convinced of X or he is not convinced that X is correct' is correct. All it takes to be classified as atheist is not to be convinced, that there is a god, which your view satisfies.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post
    It is of course not necessary to do that, to be considered an atheist, as atheism is generally defined as a mere lack of belief in god or gods. It may be tricky, but let me elaborate. A statement 'one either believes X is false or one believes X is correct' is false - if I'd hand you a jar filled with a lot of chocolate cookies and asked you, whether you are convinced, that the number of cookies is odd, would it be rational to say yes? No, it would not. That of course does not mean, you should believe the number is even, for the very same reasons. The correct approach would be to say 'I have no reason to belive the number is odd, nor do I have a reason to believe it is even'. Conviction is an 'active action', so to say. Our situation is different. A statement 'one is either convinced of X or he is not convinced that X is correct' is correct. All it takes to be classified as atheist is not to be convinced, that there is a god, which your view satisfies.
    I don't actively claim that there is no deity. All in all, as far as I am concerned and my knowledge to this matter lets me ... I think I am an agnostic. Sometimes (very rarely) I do pray so I guess it is impossible that I am an atheist. I am not a very keen observer of my religion (well I am a christened Roman Catholic) but I barely follow it and I am mixed up on whether any personified God there is.
    Last edited by Roy; 04-10-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread Information