Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andros, Greece (Cyclades) DNA result!

Last Online
    05-24-2017 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    J-FGC8216
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Hi to all, I am Roberto from Sicily and I belong to haplogroup J-M267, more specifically subclade FGC8216. Interesting thread about Cyclades DNA, I was wondering if the y-dna haplogroup of these samples is known. I am looking for more FGC8216+ samples across the globe.

Last Online
    06-08-2022 @ 02:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gaucho
    Country
    Argentina
    Y-DNA
    R1B1B2A1A
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,362
    Given: 11,959

0 Not allowed!

welcome to the site Roberto

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    J-FGC8216
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Argentano. Not sure how many have read the recently published paper by Boattini which analyzes admixture between Sicily and Dodecanese islands. Seems there is correspondence there:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01802-4

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Robct View Post
    Thanks Argentano. Not sure how many have read the recently published paper by Boattini which analyzes admixture between Sicily and Dodecanese islands. Seems there is correspondence there:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01802-4
    Welcome!

It is not so much that there is admixture between Sicily and Dodecanese, but rather that Sicilians, southern Italians (mostly Calabria), Cretans, and Dodecanese are all genetically very similar to one another. Enough so that admixture between any of them would be difficult to detect actually. They are all one genetic cluster separate from the rest of Italy and Greece, which crosses linguistic and national lines.

Where in Sicily are you from?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    J-FGC8216
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Welcome!

It is not so much that there is admixture between Sicily and Dodecanese, but rather that Sicilians, southern Italians (mostly Calabria), Cretans, and Dodecanese are all genetically very similar to one another. Enough so that admixture between any of them would be difficult to detect actually. They are all one genetic cluster separate from the rest of Italy and Greece, which crosses linguistic and national lines.

Where in Sicily are you from?
    Thanks Sikeliot. I see what you mean and agree with that. I am from Catania, my paternal ancestors from 1400's were from a town north of Catania called Aci Sant'Antonio, and possibly before that, around 1200's from a hamlet called Longi in NE Sicily.

Regarding Y-DNA research for my haplo J1 there is a facebook group were we keep constantly updated. Our administrator made an phylogenetic tree using results from FTDNA BigY and FullGenomes tests. I myself took a FG Y-DNA deep test, that is how FGC8216 and some private SNP have been discovered in my sample.

Seems that most of men who are FGC8216+ have something to do with the mediterranean basin, as if one or more sea cultures contributed in its spread. The closest sample so far found to mine is from Sardinia, number 808 reported in Francalacci's paper. Unfortunately samples are anonymous and there is no way to find out more about him. We connect to not more than 3700 years ago.

I believe however more samples can be found not just in the middle east, but also Italy, western anatolia and perhaps the aegean islands.

Here is a map I made for FGC8216 samples: https://www.google.com/maps/d/view?m...8499999926&z=4

While here you can find an updated J1 phylotree: http://genogenea.com/J-M267/tree

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Robct View Post
    Thanks Sikeliot. I see what you mean and agree with that. I am from Catania, my paternal ancestors from 1400's were from a town north of Catania called Aci Sant'Antonio, and possibly before that, around 1200's from a hamlet called Longi in NE Sicily.

Regarding Y-DNA research for my haplo J1 there is a facebook group were we keep constantly updated. Our administrator made an phylogenetic tree using results from FTDNA BigY and FullGenomes tests. I myself took a FG Y-DNA deep test, that is how FGC8216 and some private SNP have been discovered in my sample.

Seems that most of men who are FGC8216+ have something to do with the mediterranean basin, as if one or more sea cultures contributed in its spread. The closest sample so far found to mine is from Sardinia, number 808 reported in Francalacci's paper. Unfortunately samples are anonymous and there is no way to find out more about him. We connect to not more than 3700 years ago.

I believe however more samples can be found not just in the middle east, but also Italy, western anatolia and perhaps the aegean islands.

Here is a map I made for FGC8216 samples: https://www.google.com/maps/d/view?m...8499999926&z=4

While here you can find an updated J1 phylotree: http://genogenea.com/J-M267/tree

J1 is probably due to Phoenician input.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Southern Greek
    Ancestry
    Southern Greece
    Country
    Greece