An Abandoned House of Books in Tunisia

Source: http://www.messynessychic.com/2016/1...ks-in-tunisia/

I received a correspondence from Tunisia the other day, an urbex photographer from the capital city of Tunis who likes to shoot unknown and strange places in his hometown. His name is Mourad and he asked if I would be interested in an abandoned house of books he recently … okay– let’s just say he had me at “abandoned house of books”.

Dabbaghine street or “Rue des tanneurs” in French, is the street in downtown Tunis known for its old, vintage and used books shops. Mourad tells me that the book business isn’t doing so well in Tunisia and many bookshops have are simply overflowing with unsold books.

One such bookstore on Dabbaghine Street is located on the ground floor of a small 2-story unoccupied building. The owner of the shop has used the stairs and uninhabited apartments to store his unsold books that have been steadily piling up over the years.

While it might be a paradise for bookworms, Mourad says there are so many books taking up every inch of available space that it’s very hard to even walk around the building. “It’s definitely not for the claustrophobic– or asthmatic for that matter”.