View Poll Results: Which nations do you view as sufficiently culturally similar to Greece?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spain

9 7.44%
  • France

0 0%
  • Russia

8 6.61%
  • Italy (north to south)

25 20.66%
  • Southern Italy and Sicily

61 50.41%
  • Romania

19 15.70%
  • Albania

35 28.93%
  • Bosnia

7 5.79%
  • Bulgaria

42 34.71%
  • Ukraine

3 2.48%
  • Serbia

33 27.27%
  • Turkey

41 33.88%
  • Georgia

7 5.79%
  • Armenia

19 15.70%
  • Lebanon

14 11.57%
  • Syria

10 8.26%
  • Iran

5 4.13%
  • Iraq

5 4.13%
  • Afghanistan

5 4.13%
  • Egypt

7 5.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Which nation do you see as culturally closest to Greece, all factors considered?

Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 11:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,633
    Given: 994

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by brennus dux gallorum View Post
    Afghanistan

From my personal experience, italy, from river Po to Sicily, except of Sikeliot's ancestor's neighboorhood. For sure Ladin people have nothing in common with Greece, maybe Lombardians too.
    Not only the Ladins, I'd say most of the North-Central Italians, especially those who live in the western side and in the Alps and Prealps.

Of course generally speaking there are also many similarities, because there is indeed a common feeling in almost all southern Europe, from Iberia to Greece, and Nafplio, that was ruled for a long time by the Venetians, reminds of an old Italian town especially in the old town. But at the same time there are also many differences. Even the Greek and Italian cuisine, that share a common mediterranean substrate (but that doesn't really exist in north Italy for example), have many differences. Many traditional Greek recipes simply don't exist in Italy, neither in South Italy. Unfortunately, except the feta and the Greek yoghurt you won't find many other Greek products in an Italian supermarket. You have more chance of finding a Japanese or Chinese restaurant in Italy rather than a Greek one. While the Greek traditional music reminds only of some southern Italian folk music from Salento or Sicily.

Are these differences unbridgeable? I think that the difference between us Europeans and the Americans is that we Europeans love the differences, we are proud of our differences, while Americans prefer the homogenisation because it's more reassuring.

The sad fact is that almost none of the modern Greek writers, intellectuals, artists, actors, singers are known in Italy, except the Greek international stars. For us it's extremely difficult to follow what happens in Greece reading the Greek sites, being we can't read your alphabet (and neither the Greek language). On the other hand countries like France and Spain are more covered by Italian mass-media, and for us it's easier to read a French or Spanish site, and the Italian tv often airs French or Spanish movies (more the French though).

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Percivalle View Post
    Of course generally speaking there are also many similarities, because there is indeed a common feeling in almost all southern Europe, from Iberia to Greece, and a city like Nafplio, that was ruled for a long time by the Venetians, reminds of an old Italian town. But at the same time there are also many differences. Even the Greek and Italian cuisine, that share a common mediterranean substrate (but that doesn't really exist in north Italy for example), have many differences.
    for these reasons i wrote "Greece is a category on its own, mostly associated to the mediterranean European countries."

Greece is mediterranean, has interacted very much with most of mediterranean Southern European countries, it's a "naval" nation, yet, even though it's latin influenced,it's still a non-latin country.
    BTW the accent of Greek language overlaps latin

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-09-2023 @ 07:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,179
    Given: 12,243

2 Not allowed!

Having ancestry from 3 areas in Greece and having lived in 6 , I mean what I say that Greece is unique.

Of course, you can find similarities with Italy, Balkans, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, etc, but little aspects of culture with little aspects of their culture. We are between all those countries, but we don't share too much common things with any of them . I mean, we are Orthodox like most of Balkans and some EE but we are neither Slavic or we were never communist.
    On the other hand, we are part of what is called (politically) ''West'', but we don't share the Catholic ancestry and lifestyle of Western Europe.

Culture is not only music, only food , only architecture, only religion or only the way of life. Culture is ALL of them together, plus many many more, like the customs, the goals in life, the people's personality characteristics.

In many of the listed countries, anyone can find some common cultural aspects more or less, but that's it. I find Greece pretty unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by peaceandfriendship View Post
    BTW - you having a picture of Pyrrhus as your avatar is the Albanian equivalent of Michael Jackson bleaching his skin white.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ar-Rum, Ottoman, Byzantine
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    25% N.Macedonian, 25% Albanian + 50% Dalmatia Slavic mixed Vlach
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Tzepeles Komnenos, Mehmed II
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,216
    Given: 5,754

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen B View Post
    Having ancestry from 3 areas in Greece and having lived in 6 , I mean what I say that Greece is unique.

Of course, you can find similarities with Italy, Balkans, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, etc, but little aspects of culture with little aspects of their culture. We are between all those countries, but we don't share too much common things with any of them . I mean, we are Orthodox like most of Balkans and some EE but we are neither Slavic or we were never communist.
    On the other hand, we are part of what is called (politically) ''West'', but we don't share the Catholic ancestry and lifestyle of Western Europe.

Culture is not only music, only food , only architecture, only religion or only the way of life. Culture is ALL of them together, plus many many more, like the customs, the goals in life, the people's personality characteristics.

In many of the listed countries, anyone can find some common cultural aspects more or less, but that's it. I find Greece pretty unique.
    No, Entire Europe was just like you have described Greece.

But, Germanic tribes (Franks, Lombards) etc.. have conquered those lands, slaughtered most of Celts, Gauls etc..
    and nowdays we have a foreign.. Germanic civilization that came from Black Sea and Scandinavia.

I see no difference between Turkish Civilization and Germanic Civilization... they are both foreigners to Europe,
    which is why you do actually find a difference between so called "Western world" and Greece.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Bloodline of 5/42 Evzone Regiment
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Byzantine Rumelia
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Christian Theocratic
    Hero
    Christian Emperors
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,927
    Given: 4,822

1 Not allowed!

Germans foreign to Europe

Queen B is right - Greece has been an isolated country due to the communist block - accept it or not. We are different based on this alone. Greece's main trading partner whilst commies were practising mediocrity was Italy. Because it sure wasn't Turkey.

So our Northern and Eastern borders have been completed closed off - Eastern borders still closed off.

We are politically aligned with Western Europe and theres not much anyone can do about it as we didn't have a choice
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12

Definition of untrustworthy and loose character are those that don't believe in God.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ar-Rum, Ottoman, Byzantine
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    25% N.Macedonian, 25% Albanian + 50% Dalmatia Slavic mixed Vlach
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Tzepeles Komnenos, Mehmed II
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,216
    Given: 5,754

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by catgeorge View Post
    Germans foreign to Europe

Queen B is right - Greece has been an isolated country due to the communist block - accept it or not. We are different based on this alone. Greece's main trading partner whilst commies were practising mediocrity was Italy. Because it sure wasn't Turkey.

So our Northern and Eastern borders have been completed closed off - Eastern borders still closed off.

We are politically aligned with Western Europe and theres not much anyone can do about it as we didn't have a choice
    I am just saying that modern History is just a politically correct version of history.

Romans fought Germans for hundreds of years, to protect "Europe" from them.

There is a reason why they fought them.

The reason is to be found in the Books written by the famous Roman/Greek historians. Feel free to explore a bit.

. . .
    Last Online
    04-28-2024 @ 06:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,451
    Given: 31,624

0 Not allowed!

Which nations do you view as sufficiently culturally similar to Greece?
    Albania, Italy, Turkey and Lebanon

Bloodline of 5/42 Evzone Regiment
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Byzantine Rumelia
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Christian Theocratic
    Hero
    Christian Emperors
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,927
    Given: 4,822

2 Not allowed!

This is our country and what we consider unique as its been like this for thousands of years even under Venetian and Ottoman Rule

Greece doesn't have Skyscrapers etc.. the people represent their environment and this is ours.
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12

Definition of untrustworthy and loose character are those that don't believe in God.

. . .
    Last Online
    04-28-2024 @ 06:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,451
    Given: 31,624

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    I'm going to recalculate the poll votes without the Albanian users' votes, which will be a much better reflection to me of what is accurate.
    why would you put Romania on the list - 1/3 of the country is occupied by spruce and fir-forested mountains (Carpathian landscape, like west Ukraine and south Poland), 1/3 of steppe and forest-steppe (like south Ukraine) and 1/3 is Transylvanian plateau, that looks central European (it was also inhabited by Hungarians and Germans, so architecture also, not only landscape). plus Dobrudja by the seaside, which looks Turkish in the south (where it's inhabited by Turks and Tatars) and totally original in the Danube Delta (inhabited by Lipovan Russians and Hohol Ukrainians).

clime, landscape, architecture - nothing Greek.

faces - south Romanians are darker, but they cannot pass as Greeks, because while Greeks are very CM-derived, south Romanians are a Bulgarian-Vlach-Cuman/Pecheneg mix, and they are more gracil than Greeks.

the only common thing is the Orthodox religion, but Greeks are much more Western influenced on it (they have seats in the churches)

also, Greeks don't share the communist past, that left social and cityscape traces

Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread Information