Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default The Origins Dwarves in Germanic Folklore and Mythology

Inspired by a conversation with Varg in the Chatbox...

The original concept of dwarves is very difficult to determine. The sources closest to the original Germanic mythology come from Norse Mythology, but even these are scarce and varied. Sources have gradually given dwarves more comical and superstitious roles. Dwarves were certainly humanoid, but sources differ over their height, their lifestyles, and their similarity to elves. Considering early sources, and considering the dwarves' nature, original dwarves seem fully human height. They had strong associations with death: paled skin; dark hair; connections with the earth; their role in mythology. They followed animistic traditions, showing similarities to such concepts of the dead. They were similar to others from the 'Vćttir' family, such as elves.
    Source

Also, so we can dispense with any silliness regarding "dwarves" vs. "dwarfs"

The plural form dwarfs has been traced to the 17th century. The alternative plural dwarves has been recorded in the early 18th century, but was not generally accepted until used by philologist J. R. R. Tolkien in his fantasy novel The Hobbit. Neither spelling represents the regular phonetic development of the Old English plural dweorgas, namely dwarrows; rather, they descend from a new plural formed in Middle English from the singular stem. Similarly, the old inherited plural dwarrows acquired a singular dwarrow. Although dwarrow has passed from the language, both dwarfs and dwarves are in current use. Many grammarians prefer dwarfs; many fantasists prefer dwarves. The form dwarfs is generally used for real people affected by dwarfism; the form dwarves is used for the mythical people described by Tolkien and others.
    Source

Now, regarding their origins, in Elves, Wights, and Trolls: Studies Towards the Practice of Germanic Heathenry: Vol. I (p. 81), Kveldulf Gundarsson writes:

Like the Dark Alfs, the Swart Alfs are closely associated with death, and may in fact often be dead folk themselves, as the names Dainn (a dwarf-name as well s the alf's ruler, meaning "the dead one"), Haugspori (Howe-Treader), Nar (Corpse), and Blain (blue/black--cf. "Hel-blue", a common description of corpses, especially undead ones) suggest. Snorri mentions in Snorri Edda that the Swart Alfs are black as pitch, but this may well be his own understanding drawn from the name. In Alvissmal 2, Thorr comments on how pale the dwarf Alviss is, and asks if he has been with a corpse in the night. In Norwegian folk belief, dwarves sometimes appear to be black or dark in the face, but most often they look like grey bearded Northern Europeans. However, the black face is as typical of the dead as the paleness Thorr remarks on (helblar--Hel-blue/black).
    Regarding early conceptions of Dwarves, Wiki says:

Early Dwarves
    Sources for the earliest concepts of dwarves are essentially non-existent. Norse dwarves (dvergar) are the earliest source for our understanding of original dwarves. However, the concept of Dvergar mutates rapidly, even during our records of Norse Mythology. This makes it hard to draw a uniform concept of early dwarves, and questionable whether there actually was one.

For most of Norse mythology, the skin color of Dvergar was 'pale' (fölr), like a corpse. The hair color is 'black' (svartr). The Norse depiction of the deathly complexion of Dvergar resembles the modern depiction of vampires, with early dwarves fatally susceptible to sunlight. Dvergar are skilled craftsmen, and most of their magic involves labour, craftsmanship, and metallurgy. They are a family of Vćttir, or nature spirits. From the later information on dwarves, from similar mythical creatures, and from the nature of Germanic mythology and its roots, we can get a good idea of early dwarves. Elves are a race with very close associations to dwarves. 'Alf' often appears as part of dwarf names (eg.: Álfr, Gandálfr, and Vindálfr), and dark elves have deep parallels with dwarves. Elves are often described as humans elevated after death, and descriptions of them often have them passing through physical objects. Other Norse creatures and Vćttir have similar connotations of death. Trolls are deathly creatures who rise from beneath the earth and often require to be put back to rest. Nisse have the same labourer image as dwarves, and they lived in burial mounds. Death is a recurring motif in Norse Mythology, and ancestor worship is a prevalent practice in animistic religions. 'Dvergr' is very similar to 'draugr' (a spirit of the dead in Norse Mythology). Norse mythology has images such as the dwarves growing from maggots from Ymir's flesh and the inevitable murder that comes from a dwarf weapon. All of this suggests dwarves were a form of spirits of the dead.

Dwarves seem to be associated with age and wisdom. They are consistently pictured with beards, and have great knowledge, particularly of craftsmanship (a major occupation in Norse society). The connection between the elderly and death helps strengthen the link between dwarves and spirits of the dead.

It's worth noting that nothing points to early dwarves' short height. Short dwarves only appeared around the 13th century, in sources such as the legendary saga, and it became a trend for mythical creatures (see: fairies; elves; gnomes) to be small, such that they gained a mischievous and comical nature. Given the dwarf's association with dead humans, it seems unlikely for them to have been anything but human height, and any shortness they have would be a characteristic of old age. With the oldest sources depicting dwarves as human height (see Norse dwarves), early dwarves most likely were.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2010 @ 01:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    100% swedish, 0% German, 0% Russian, 0% Turk, 0% Ape
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

Thanks, it was an interesting read I'll comment it further tomorrow how ever I can say this.

The swedish word, for dwarf is Dvärg, and plural is Dvärgar, quite similar to dweorgas if I may say so my self

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-06-2022 @ 11:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    English, Scots- Irish, Cajun French
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Martin Luther, Martin Chemnitz
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,664
    Given: 10,470

0 Not allowed!

Fascinating read.Thank you.

Jägerstaffel

0 Not allowed!

Though I know they were considered to be human height and associated with undead/draugr/death - it is still hard to not picture Gimli or Thorin Oakenshield or Muradin Bronzebeard when someone mentions dwarves.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-30-2012 @ 05:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    The Cult of Odin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

For anyone interested in Dwarfs I highly recommend..

Editor’s Note:
    The following article has been divided into two
    parts. The first part appears in Issue 4 and the
    second part will appear in Issue 5. The Table
    of Contents in its entirety shall appear in both
    issues.

Children of the Mist:
    A History and Interpretation of Dwarfs in
    German Mythology, Fairy Tale and Folk
    Legend, From 1000 B.C.E to 1945 A.C.E.
    I have found this to be a very valuable reading..what of Issue 5 I wonder..??

Issues 1-4 can be found here..

A mythology’s symbols “(whether in the tangible form of images or in the abstract form of ideas) touch and release the deepest centers of motivation, moving literate and illiterate alike, moving mobs, moving civilizations.”1

I have Spondyloepiphyseal Dysplasia, a rare form of dwarfism commonly known as S.E.D. I have had nine surgeries due to my dwarfism and sport many nasty scars and two titanium rods on either side of my vertebra to prove it. I am three feet eight inches tall and about seventy-five pounds. Physically, my dwarfism is the most striking feature about me.

Humankind creates its own symbols in order to bridge the complex gaps between the unconsciousness, consciousness, and the world around them. Through consciousness they attempt to make sense of their relationship to the aspect of themselves that they could not comprehend without and its connection to the perceivable world.

We will be exploring not only the universal symbol which dwarfs represent in German mythology, and fairy tales, but also the local emphasis given in folk legends by German storytellers. This localization is affected by, but not limited to, the history of a people, their geography and their religion. The dwarf in his aesthetic visible depiction is that localized creation of universal themes. So the dwarf is but a mask for psychological impulses. Without this facade, the intangible workings of our mind would elude our comprehension. To study the mythological dwarf is to learn aspects of ourselves. He is not a separate actor in the saga of human events but rather without him no human would be complete.

We can see from the Nordic creation story that the dwarfs came from the body of the unconscious mind. The consciousness symbolized by gods overpowered the unconsciousness symbolized by giants. It was through the gods, ruling by law and order, that humans were able to subjugate the unruly giants. Von Fanz writes about the giant Ymir, “this primeval being represents an aspect of a preconscious totality, sometimes whole and sometimes... more the passive aspect, which is destroyed for the sake of the further development of consciousness.”10 This seems to mean that for the new consciousness of humans to flourish the previous consciousness, being the old mythology, must be controlled or destroyed. Only through that
    subjugation can a new system properly function. However, it is realized that although the old system has submitted to the new, not every aspect of it can be vanquished. The emergence of the dwarfs from the flesh of Ymir is a most striking example of this realization. Although smaller than their giant brethren, the dwarf was still present and still very potent.

For hundreds of years this mythology adequately described to the Germanic peoples that which, separated and unified humans from all other life, consciousness in conflict with the unconscious. Even at Ragnarok, the Nordic Armageddon, it is said, “the Aesir are in council. / The dwarfs howl before their rocky doors, / the princes of the mountain wall– do you understand / yet, or what more?”34

These 13 Century tales hold many of the motifs that would have been appealing to those who believed the Nordic mythology. However, they were given an emphasis which signaled a change in German treatment of the shadow. The Nordic myths depicted the shadow as something that must be understood and dealt with if proven to unruly. The dwarfs were given much autonomy and respect. However, the newer Christianized tales implied that the shadow must be completely controlled, lest it destroy humanity. The emphasis is on the complete subjugation of the shadow to the hero, and also, to Christianity. The new mythology was fearful of the shadow and did not see any positive qualities about it. Conscious dominance, while present in the Nordic myths, was stressed even more so in this new faith. It was the ordering structure of consciousness that was seen as the right and proper embodiment of a true Christian. This would come to affect the depiction of dwarfs and also dwarfs themselves.
    Later,
    -Lyfing
    Last edited by Lyfing; 06-05-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Thread Information