City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,184
    Given: 58,960

1 Not allowed!

Default meet the first of new generation of Romani Lawyers at the EERC

The most common question I am asked these days is how a 25-year-old Romani girl from a small town in Western Macedonia succeeded in developing a legal career in Budapest. Well, I believe that everything happens for a reason…
    My first encounter with the law was at the age of five when my parents divorced. I was the second child in a Romani Muslim family. Both of my parents belong to a Romani subgroup Dzambazi (Џамбази) – who traditionally deal with horse-trading. My parents marriage was not a love match. They had an arranged marriage right after their first date. My mother was a victim of constant domestic abuse, violence carried out before the eyes of her two small children.
    When I read the judgment of my parent’s divorce, I was fascinated by the power of the judge to save lives and grant freedom to people using something called “the law”. I knew that this was the super-power that I would like to possess when I grew up. Therefore, before moving to Hungary I completed my Bachelors degree in Legal Studies at the Faculty of Law “Iustinian Primus” – Skopje.
    Many people would think that, based on my looks and intelligence, I was never discriminated against or bullied because of my Roma ethnicity. The reality is that, no matter how smart, educated, and talented we are, each of us still faces stereotypes and discrimination on a daily basis. In my personal case, I even experienced multiple levels of discrimination for being a Romani Muslim woman.
    I initially moved to Budapest for educational purposes. In 2015 I was awarded a scholarship for a Master degree at the Central European University (CEU). In June, last year I completed my first master at the Department of International Relations and European Studies (with distinctions) and in October 2016 I was admitted for a second master in Constitutional Law.
    After finishing my masters at CEU I started working as a legal trainee at the European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) for a year. Because of my extensive language skills (Macedonian, Romanes, English, Albanian, Serbo-Croatian and Spanish), during a single year I worked in a record number of countries and cases.
    Recently, I was promoted and hired as an official lawyer at the ERRC. Currently, the main focus of my work is litigation of cases related to discrimination against Roma mainly from the Western Balkan region. This includes cases of violation of the reproductive rights of Romani women, violations of the rights of Roma children placed in correctional centers, segregation of Roma children in schools, police brutality towards Roma, racial profiling at borders, forced evictions, and various other topics.
    Apart from my legal skills and knowledge, my personal life experience provides me with additional motivation and context when doing my work. This experience enables me to establish a strong connection with cases and litigants I work with.
    This is the first time in almost a decade in ERRC, for a Romani person to hold the position of lawyer, which might seem surprising for a “Roma Rights” organisation. I am very glad I broke this “glass ceiling” and I hope this is a trend that will continue in the future, not only at the ERRC but also at other institutions and organizations.

http://www.errc.org/blog/breaking-th...t-the-errc/154
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian from Seville
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Grazilmediterranid
    Politics
    Autocratic
    Hero
    René Descartes
    Religion
    Cartesian
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,241
    Given: 7,078

2 Not allowed!

Bro.. Didn't you take up law in college? Did you graduate? Anyway I think you'd be a good lawyer IMO.

I have mastered chakra and can also do romjutsu
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 03:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,184
    Given: 58,960

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shazou View Post
    Bro.. Didn't you take up law in college? Did you graduate? Anyway I think you'd be a good lawyer IMO.
    yes bro i did but i didnt graduated, i dropped out, maybe i will take it up again and finish what i started. thanks
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Thread Information