Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,874
    Given: 12,909

0 Not allowed!

Default The Flynn Affair Could Bring Down Trump’s Presidency

The Flynn Affair Could Bring Down Trump’s Presidency

Senate hearings on the subject, including testimony under oath, are likely.

If Donald Trump thinks accepting Michael Flynn’s resignation will feed the beast enough to sate its hunger, he is mistaken.

This story is big, and will only get bigger in the days, weeks and months ahead. It could be the beginning of the end of Trump’s presidency. To be sure, additional dots would have to be connected, but the picture is already beginning to come into focus.

The Washington Post has reported that Flynn discussed U.S. sanctions against Russia with the Russian ambassador during the month before Trump was sworn in. The subject of sanctions was not something that was mentioned casually or incidentally. It was the main topic of at least one of the calls. It did not slip through the cracks of Flynn’s memory.

In the final days of the Obama administration, government officials at the highest level already knew enough about those communications, and the lies Flynn had told about them, to be alarmed. Exactly how they obtained this information isn’t fully known yet, but it seems to have been based on some mix of wiretaps, intercepted Russian diplomatic cables, and human resources.

The Post reported yesterday that in the month before Trump took office, the Director of National Intelligence, the Director of the CIA, the FBI Director, and the Acting Attorney General all believed that Flynn had put himself in a compromising position. The Russian government knew that Flynn had discussed sanctions with their ambassador, and that Flynn had lied about it in public. Flynn had also presumably lied to Vice President Pence, who had issued his own categorical denial.

The Post reported yesterday that in the month before Trump took office, the Director of National Intelligence, the Director of the CIA, the FBI Director, and the Acting Attorney General all believed that Flynn had put himself in a compromising position. The Russian government knew that Flynn had discussed sanctions with their ambassador, and that Flynn had lied about it in public. Flynn had also presumably lied to Vice President Pence, who had issued his own categorical denial.

The familiar and ominous cry of “What did the president know and when did he know it?” is creeping into the national conversation.

The Russians knew that Flynn had lied when he denied having discussed sanctions with the Russian ambassador just as the Obama administration was in the process of imposing those sanctions on them for interfering with our presidential election. This was something the Russians could use as leverage against Flynn. They could threaten to expose him. In a word, Flynn might be vulnerable to blackmail by Russia.

According to the Post, that concern led Sally Yates, the then acting attorney general, to inform Donald McGahn, Trump’s White House Counsel, late last month that she believed Flynn had misled senior administration officials about his communications with the Russian ambassador. Yates warned McGahn that Flynn was potentially vulnerable to Russian blackmail.

So what does all this have to do with Trump? Up to this point, he hasn’t been implicated directly in any inappropriate conduct. But the familiar and ominous cry of “What did the president know and when did he know it?” is creeping into the national conversation.

So what does all this have to do with Trump? Up to this point, he hasn’t been implicated directly in any inappropriate conduct. But the familiar and ominous cry of “What did the president know and when did he know it?” is creeping into the national conversation.

The leap from here to there isn’t as far as one might suppose. Although the hard facts aren’t yet there, the logical connections lead in that direction.

Full story

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0cd37efcfed84

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Ethnicity
    Mexican Mestizo
    Ancestry
    Mexico
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Politics
    Center-Right
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

bump

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,773
    Given: 1,799

0 Not allowed!

It will blow off,and even if it doesent,Trump will still be president for the next four(possibly even eight) years,people just need to deal with it already.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2017 @ 07:46 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Who cares?
    Politics
    Non-aligned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,266
    Given: 1,491

0 Not allowed!

Flynn's contact with Russia itself is no big deal. So what if a senior American official spoke with a senior Russian official? Let's not pretend it is that out of the ordinary. The information about Flynn's contact with Russia was obtained and leaked illegally. Whoever did it should be in gaol.

Trump has a lot more firing to do - not people like Flynn, but the leakers and any others who are constantly trying to undermine his government.

As for the mainstream media, it's a good thing many people have lost interest in it and don't trust it anymore.
    Last edited by N1019; 02-16-2017 at 12:51 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Thracian, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian/ Norwegian mix
    Ancestry
    Romanian (mother), Norwegian(father)
    Country
    Norway
    Region
    Oslo
    Y-DNA
    R-L48
    mtDNA
    W
    Politics
    Centrist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,426
    Given: 4,139

0 Not allowed!

As far as I know mr. "muh Russia's fault" Obama put sanctions for no reason because he claimed they "melded in the US election". That's just invalid when he had no proof. Now think of this. Trump ended up winning and Obama claimed Russia helped him win. Basically Trump/ Trump's people continuing the sanctions would be absurd. It would be like "yeah I'll sanction you because of damage control from the democrats falsely claiming you meddled in our election with no proof helping me win".
    Off course Flynn wanted to make a deal with Russia to help US-Russian election after mr. "Muh Russia's fault" Obongo damaged them for no reason at all. He did it the wrong way and payed the price, but how this is proving the Russia conspiracy to be true? It's retarded.
    Basically this is like if I was a NBA commissioner and I claimed a basketball team won because someone payed of the refs so I fired that ref that was very good and experienced without any proof at all, then I get fired for doing that and the guy that takes over re-hires that ref. Does it prove that the ref was corrupt? Or does it prove that I was a partisan retard taking action with no proof at all doing more damage than anything?
    Basically Flynn did indeed fuck up and Russia could use his fuckup as leverage, but other than that.... To compare this to the Hilary E-mail scandal is laughable, lol. Hilary did shady shit in secret, Flynn did logical and beneficial dealings in secret. He just did it the wrong way.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,420
    Given: 12,533

3 Not allowed!

I think Obama is more clever than we all thought. Flynn was the most anti-Obama general and the most openly anti-sitting president general in american history and Obama had him fired, after that Flynn became really outspoken with anti-obama rhetoric on foxnews every week, now it looks like Obama set him up for sure. And i wouldn't be surprised obama set him up by putting sanctions on russia days before he left office knowing trump administration will make mistakes thag could potentially even have trump impeached.

Last Online
    07-25-2018 @ 05:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dog
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Arizona
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 6

1 Not allowed!

BUT OBAMA!!!

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Ethnicity
    Mexican Mestizo
    Ancestry
    Mexico
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Politics
    Center-Right
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by N1019 View Post
    Flynn's contact with Russia itself is no big deal. So what if a senior American official spoke with a senior Russian official? Let's not pretend it is that out of the ordinary. The information about Flynn's contact with Russia was obtained and leaked illegally. Whoever did it should be in gaol.

Trump has a lot more firing to do - not people like Flynn, but the leakers and any others who are constantly trying to undermine his government.

As for the mainstream media, it's a good thing many people have lost interest in it and don't trust it anymore.
    Trump picked a fight with American intelligence Agencies like the FBI,CIA,Secret Service. They will do every thing to bring down Trump. Also American Intelligence Agencies are Russophobics. It's only a matter of time Trump becames an Ex president.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,420
    Given: 12,533

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RMuller View Post
    Trump picked a fight with American intelligence Agencies like the FBI,CIA,Secret Service. They will do every thing to bring down Trump. Also American Intelligence Agencies are Russophobics. It's only a matter of time Trump becames an Ex president.
    Excellent point.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2017 @ 07:46 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Who cares?
    Politics
    Non-aligned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,266
    Given: 1,491

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RMuller View Post
    Apparently Flynn had a history of pissing the intelligence community off, too.

Still, his resignation wasn't even necessary as far as the evidence I have seen is concerned despite the Logan Act because similar things seem to have happened after previous elections with inter-governmental contacts and back channels being established.

Trump must be concerned about the accusations of close ties to Russia finally sticking and being accepted by the public, but I'm still surprised he didn't dig his heels in and keep Flynn. Instead, he submitted to the stunt pulled by his enemies and allowed himself to be influenced by bullshit, although one theory I heard was that it was to protect Pence because he got caught in a lie, omission or other fuck up, albeit one of no real consequence beyond giving Trump's political enemies more fake ammunition to use against him in their fake news about links to Russia.

Either way, I think Trump allowed himself to be manipulated, which is not a very alpha moment for him. I hope he can deal with the next curveball thrown at him more effectively and not resort to knee-jerk reactionary behaviour like forcing his senior offsiders to resign for minor offences or non-offences spun out of proportion by the corrupt media. If he can't master these political 'shit tests' his enemies will destroy him.
    Last edited by N1019; 02-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Thread Information