Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obese Passenger Causes Flight Refund

Lady Josephine Sheba of Lancaster Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-20-2016 @ 11:38 PM
    South Coast NSW - My anti gun toting Utopian paradise!
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    AngloAustralian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, England, Malta & Prussia - from last 200 years
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Keltic/Nordid & Bruenn
    Politics
    Libertarian, with centrist views
    Religion
    Heathen/Shaman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Obese Passenger Causes Flight Refund

woman has been given a full refund after being forced to squeeze into her plane seat next to an obese woman.

Janet Ogilvie boarded a flight from Halifax to Ottawa in Canada last month when she found the overweight woman sitting in the window seat and about half of Ms Ogilvie's aisle seat, the Ottawa Citizen has reported.

"She figures the woman's spine was where the middle armrest comes down when in use. The woman also needed a belt extender to be able to buckle up," according to the media report.

"The plane was full, flight attendants told her. So Ogilvie . . . wedged herself into the 10 inches (25cm) that remained of her seat.

"The one-hour 45-minute flight to Ottawa was brutally uncomfortable, though Ogilvie didn't say anything to the woman for fear of embarrassing her. Ogilvie's right hip became her rear end."

Ms Ogilvie said she was "pressed up tight against her for the whole flight".

Ms Ogilvie later complained to Porter Airlines, but received "a tepid apology at best".

"She was told politely she could forget about a refund," the Ottawa Citizen said.

"Giving a second seat at no cost to people with disabilities is what Air Canada, including its regional carrier, Air Canada Jazz, and WestJet are already required to do by the Canadian Transport Agency.

"The three airlines must give disabled passengers - including those who need a companion to travel with or are declared by their doctors to be too large to fit in a single seat - two seats for the price of one on all domestic flights."

The one-person, one-fare policy was introduced in 2008 after a joint complaint to the agency from three people involving the two major airlines, the Ottawa Citizen said.

"According to an email sent Monday to Ogilvie from Robert Deluce, Porter's president and chief executive, the airline is following the same policy to some degree," according to the media report.

"Writes Deluce to Ogilvie: 'Porter, will . . . if given sufficient notice and medical confirmation, offer obese passengers a second seat gratis in an effort to mitigate a situation as the one experienced by you. Regrettably, however, not only was your flight at capacity, but also the passenger seated in 9A did not alert us to (her) condition prior to flight time. As your safety was considered not at risk, we proceeded as scheduled.'
    "Deluce's explanation is misleading. While the airlines actually affected by the CTA order will supply a second seat for free to an obese passenger who has a doctor's certification, carriers can refuse to accommodate those who just show up at the airport without giving prior notice."
    Source

Oh dear.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhild View Post
    While the airlines actually affected by the CTA order will supply a second seat for free to an obese passenger who has a doctor's certification, carriers can refuse to accommodate those who just show up at the airport without giving prior notice.
    LOLWUT? How does a doctor certify that you're fat?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-29-2019 @ 11:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Czech Republic, Germany, French Huguenot, Ireland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    apolitical
    Religion
    agnostic, born Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

0 Not allowed!

so what? we all have to endure being uncomfortable at times. I once lived with a roommate I didn't get along with; should my college refund my board expenses for that year?

Last Online
    01-02-2012 @ 09:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anti-Western
    Ethnicity
    Anti-"White"
    Region
    Devon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis24 View Post
    so what? we all have to endure being uncomfortable at times. I once lived with a roommate I didn't get along with; should my college refund my board expenses for that year?
    That is not a very good analogy at all.

This woman paid for a service she did not receive. You paid for a service and received it. Apples and oranges.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Hohohohoho hahahahaha. ALL YOUR SEAT ARE BELONG TO US.

Lady Josephine Sheba of Lancaster Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-20-2016 @ 11:38 PM
    South Coast NSW - My anti gun toting Utopian paradise!
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    AngloAustralian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, England, Malta & Prussia - from last 200 years
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Keltic/Nordid & Bruenn
    Politics
    Libertarian, with centrist views
    Religion
    Heathen/Shaman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post

This woman paid for a service she did not receive. You paid for a service and received it. Apples and oranges.
    Precisely, especially in light of the fact that the obese person only paid for one seat due to the disability laws which apply, as was mentioned. She also failed to disclose the nature of her obesity.

@ Psy, I really couldn't answer how obesity is determined but I would daresay a precedent had already been set which gave the medical profession a set of guidelines.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I see these sorts of 400lbs. + roly-poly monsters at work on a daily basis. I'm about 180lbs., and I've seen women at my store who easily outweigh me twice over. Hell, I'm trying to lose weight, which is hard, since I have 1/2 of a thyroid gland and all--- so my metabolism is kind of effed up to begin with.

It's no wonder why I think that heaven has written off the United States when I see these slovenly lardasses meandering about- but not even walking! Oh, no, walking is too much of a chore for them- they have to ride the Walmart electric scooters that, really, should be ridden on by old people and those with broken legs.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-29-2019 @ 11:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Czech Republic, Germany, French Huguenot, Ireland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    apolitical
    Religion
    agnostic, born Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post

Well, The woman paid to be transported from one location to another via airplane. There was nothing worked into the contract about quality. Same as my board with my college. Unless I misunderstand what happened.

We seem to have become a society where whoever bitches the loudest receives praise. Maybe it is just that my personality is more to endure, to tough it out, I tend to be annoyed with people who complain about these types of things. We all have to endure daily humiliations, why do some feel its their right to be acknowledged for it?

But whatever. I get tired of the "let's bitch about fat people!" threads. Really, I know some people who are quite overweight who are also highly skilled workers with good personalities; in my opinion, there's so many other things to be angry about, its not as if these people are real criminals or are committing violence or theft. Anyway, I have no desire to debate this with some of you diehard fat-haters, as its obviously something personal to me and I just don't feel like arguing about it.
    Last edited by Curtis24; 10-28-2010 at 05:54 AM.

The Dog Days Are Over Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-29-2013 @ 07:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/English/American
    Ethnicity
    Pretty
    Ancestry
    Scotland/England/America
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alabama
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Politics
    Rather Not
    Religion
    half Atheist/half Spiritul/Nature
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallamedes View Post
    I see these sorts of 400lbs. + roly-poly monsters at work on a daily basis. I'm about 180lbs., and I've seen women at my store who easily outweigh me twice over. Hell, I'm trying to lose weight, which is hard, since I have 1/2 of a thyroid gland and all--- so my metabolism is kind of effed up to begin with.

It's no wonder why I think that heaven has written off the United States when I see these slovenly lardasses meandering about- but not even walking! Oh, no, walking is too much of a chore for them- they have to ride the Walmart electric scooters that, really, should be ridden on by old people and those with broken legs.
    I've worked at Wal Mart & I've been to Wal Mart so I can picture what your talking about very clearly. What I can't picture is how you think so cruelly toward people.

Re guarding the original post I think anyone who boards a plane now days shouldn't be surprised by anything. It should be expected. There is no guarantee you will not be seated by someone fat, or smelly or obnoxious. Or heck, even someone planning to blow up the plane or crash you into buildings

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady L View Post
    I've worked at Wal Mart & I've been to Wal Mart so I can picture what your talking about very clearly. What I can't picture is how you think so cruelly toward people.
    It's easy: I despise gluttons and lazy people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information