Thread: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who will guard the Guards themselves?)

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic+Romance
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ancestry
    3/4 Croatian and 1/4 North Italian
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid+CM
    Politics
    Direct Democracy
    Hero
    Jordan Peterson
    Religion
    Deist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,781
    Given: 8,063

0 Not allowed!

Default Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who will guard the Guards themselves?)

This is one practical and philosophical Roman question from 4th century AD which I think still needs to be answered, if there is an answer.

IMO this was never answered, till this day, we saw so many ideologies, politics etc which ran countries and major powers on this planet, especially in 20th century, and I never saw that anyone gave an answer to this.

It all comes down to this.

Who will guard the guards themselves my friends?

We have to consider time in which this question (which is more statement in my opinion that question) was asked, it was a time when Roman Empire was near It's end, but..., solution for this was tried in Roman Empire back then in every possible way, and it didn't worked, never, not in Roman Empire, not in Empires or states after.

Romans placed Praetorian Guards, who would be the protectors of state and Empire even against Emperor himself. For those who don't know, Praetorian guards killed majority of Roman Emperors during the night, if they came to conclusion the Emperor is either drunk of power, if he went crazy, or if he just leads (in their opinion) Empire to destruction.

THEY DECIDED, Praetorian Guards, but who guarded them?

Every state, kingdom or country after Roman Empire had some form of Praetorian Guards, working from shadow, watching, protecting, but who is watching them? Even if you would place someone who would watch them, who would watch those who watch them etc...?

On what basis should we trust guards, what is the core which we have to implement while choosing them, how to be 100% or at least 99% sure they're right?

Do you even think such thing is possible, I have my own opinion but I am asking you...

Is it just one more example how our species is not to be trusted (in general)? And this question comes from eternal optimist (me).

Cheers

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States