Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is one's musical taste subjective or objective?

Banned
    Last Online
    08-13-2018 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,997
    Given: 6,001

2 Not allowed!

The philosophical implications of subjectivity and objectivity aren't what you people assume they are. Subjectivity doesn't imply that it is a mere preference, opinion, etc. Music is subjective in just the same way the whole world around you is subjective.

Companhia dos Leőes da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,023
    Given: 16,803

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Abubu View Post
    The philosophical implications of subjectivity and objectivity aren't what you people assume they are. Subjectivity doesn't imply that it is a mere preference, opinion, etc. Music is subjective in just the same way the whole world around you is subjective.
    Would you say that one cannot factually prove one piece of music to be better and more enjoyable than another, or of better quality?
    YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I mean, think about it, music has a defined set of aesthetic perimeters, scales, etc; it is like math. Is it subjective as well to say that a painting by Albert Bierstadt has more artistic value than one done by someone who has no painting skills?

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Viriato View Post
    Would you say that one cannot factually prove one piece of music to be better and more enjoyable than another, or of better quality?
    No, I wouldn't say that. There are no facts out there in the empirical world that somehow show that some music is better than other music. All one could do is arbitrarily assume some vibrations, rhythms and tempos are better than others. One could try measuring music mathematically, but it'd be a great vulgarization of both mathematics and music to do so. Come to think of it, I'll bet you hate pop music, but pop music is very scientific in a sense.

Puto el que lee Jacques de Imbelloni's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,397
    Given: 2,643

1 Not allowed!

żDo you belivebe that people that listen some particular "age" of classical music(the proper term will be academical music) are smarter than others, for example people that prefers clasisim and romantisism over baroque, or that people that enjoy avantgarde, atonal and disonat music(I am not very found of this genders) are the smartest ones.?

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

No, I wouldn't say that. There are no facts out there in the empirical world that somehow show that some music is better than other music. All one could do is arbitrarily assume some vibrations, rhythms and tempos are better than others. Come to think of it, I'll bet you hate pop music, but pop music is very scientific in a sense.
    I am assuming that you say that it is scientific in the way they structure the songs to the last detail in order to sound the more appealing and catchy as possible to the masses. That is what sells. We can debate though if the level of complexity and the artistic value is poor or not.
    I don't hate pop music, just there are certain musical genres that I am drawn to and pop music isn't one most of the time.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques de Imbelloni View Post
    żDo you belivebe that people that listen some particular "age" of classical music(the proper term will be academical music) are smarter than others, for example people that prefers clasisim and romantisism over baroque, or that people that enjoy avantgarde, atonal and disonat music(I am not very found of this genders) are the smartest ones.?
    I don't know the differences in IQ according to each classical music sub-genre\period preference. I believe they would be minimal, but I have no data to back me up. I do believe though that people who genuinely like classical music (not the ones who say they listen to it to be pretentious) are on average smarter than someone who listens to hip-hop, per example. Emphasis on "average": it doesn't necessarily mean that listening and enjoying classical music automatically traduces in a higher IQ, it just means that it is more likely to be so.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I am assuming that you say that it is scientific in the way they structure the songs to the last detail in order to sound the more appealing and catchy as possible to the masses. That is what sells. We can debate though if the level of complexity and the artistic value is poor or not.
    I don't hate pop music, just there are certain musical genres that I am drawn to and pop music isn't one most of the time.
    It is practically the industrialization of music. Clearly pop music is degenerate, it's mass-produced filth, just a product. It tells me trying to make music out to be something objectively out there is going to turn out very, very wrong. The best music has always been the music where heart and soul were put into it.

My personal opinion, based from experience and intuition, is that our taste in music correspond to what we value, what we believe and what we think. We like music according to the spiritual and intellectual state we are in. Sacred Orthodox music can bring me to tears from its beauty, while people I know with completely different outlooks on life find it sterile, it doesn't communicate with their soul.

Puto el que lee Jacques de Imbelloni's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,397
    Given: 2,643

1 Not allowed!

I don't know the differences in IQ according to each classical music sub-genre\period preference. I believe they would be minimal, but I have no data to back me up. I do believe though that people who genuinely like classical music (not the ones who say they listen to it to be pretentious) are on average smarter than someone who listens to hip-hop, per example. Emphasis on "average": it doesn't necessarily mean that listening and enjoying classical music automatically traduces in a higher IQ, it just means that it is more likely to be so.
    The issue with classical music is that the latter ages tends to be more technically complex, but at the same time they also are more restricted in relation with the amount of public they attract.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It is practically the industrialization of music. Clearly pop music is degenerate, it's mass-produced filth, just a product. It tells me trying to make music out to be something objectively out there is going to turn out very, very wrong. The best music has always been the music where heart and soul were put into it.

My personal opinion, based from experience and intuition, is that our taste in music correspond to what we value, what we believe and what we think. We like music according to the spiritual and intellectual state we are in. Sacred Orthodox music can bring me to tears from its beauty, while people I know with completely different outlooks on life find it sterile, it doesn't communicate with their soul.
    By saying that a certain genre is degenerate and that the best music is the one that is done with heart you're saying that one's musical taste is objective and that we can determine if someone has poor musical taste.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information