View Poll Results: Should Esperanto replace English as the global lingua franca?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 25.81%
  • No

23 74.19%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Esperanto replace English as the global lingua franca?

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central European
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,880
    Given: 7,415

2 Not allowed!

Default Should Esperanto replace English as the global lingua franca?

Some people don't like having English as the global lingua franca because they associate it with colonialism. They don't like that the language of a single ethnicity is used as the language for the whole world, they say stuff such as English isn't a "neutral language". The Esperanto language was artificially created in 1887 before there was a lingua franca but it is still learnt by people today due to it not being very difficult to learn. Esperanto has a mostly Romance and Eurocentric basis iirc but also takes input from some non-European languages such as Hindi, Chinese, Arabic, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

So what are your thoughts on the language? Should it replace English as a global lingua franca?

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central European
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,880
    Given: 7,415

0 Not allowed!

Why/why not?

Banned
    Last Online
    11-19-2017 @ 04:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Yugoslav dipshit
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Paleo-Atlantid, Cro-Mag
    Hero
    Dr. Vojislav Šešelj, gospodin Zdravko Mamić
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 819
    Given: 641

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    So what are your thoughts on the language? Should it replace English as a global lingua franca?
    It shouldn't.
    Latin would be nice, or Ancient Greek.
    Esperanto is an abomination, something like Frankenstein, or the EU.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2021 @ 10:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt & fag
    Ethnicity
    French (Normandy, Alsace), German (Saxony, Lower Silesia), Spanish Basque (Biskaya)
    Ancestry
    Some cheeky monkeys with opposable first digit
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Occitania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L20
    Taxonomy
    Probably subnordid
    Politics
    Libtardism, European federalism, anti-nationalism
    Religion
    never complain, never explain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,268
    Given: 1,561

1 Not allowed!

Yes, Esperanto should replace English, the language of merchants and imperialism. I hate how English sounds, and above all, I hate that mongrel Globish pidgin spoken in TA (I could shoot down anyone who says "lulzy" in front of me)

Now that the UK is leaving Europe, there's no reason why English should remain the working/procedural language in the EU. We should adopt Esperanto instead.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,860
    Given: 7,347

2 Not allowed!

No. Even if a lingua franca were chosen (it is not), I would prefer to learn an actual language than a made-up one. Say, French. But I'd take even a harder one, like Greek or Russian.

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

3 Not allowed!

No, I'm happy with English. It has the widest vocabulary of any language in the world. It's based on a Germanic grammar base, with German, French, Latin, Greek, Celtic, and Scandinavian descent words within the range of vocabulary.

The Normans forced their language onto the English and we adapted to it when it merged into Middle English. So now we have over 15,000 words in the English vocabulary that are of French origin.

One of the advantages of the English language is there's no masculine or feminine spelling rules of objects to have to remember. A chair has no sex and neither does a table in English. A chair is just a chair. Simple.

Omg... imagine during an emergency if people were forced to type long words all the time and have to remember masc/fem rules.

English is more practical to keep as the official language of international business meetings, computer programming, engineering, science, technology, internet communication, and for all international aviation communication. It's spoken globally by over 1 billion people as a first or second language, with another billion people seeking to learn English.

It's also useful as most of the economically powerful cities and nations in the world speak English as their first language. There's only two cities that have Alpha++ status on the planet - London & NYC - and both have English as their main language.

Modern English is constantly evolving with the times. Every year, outdated words which are no longer used are removed from the dictionaries and new popular words are introduced.

The type of Old English used in Anglo Saxon literature and poetry such as in Beowulf would be difficult for many English speakers to understand today.... and English has also changed since Shakespeare's era: 'Thee,' 'Thou,' 'Thy', et cetera. 'Where for art thou Romeo?' Nobody speaks like that in the everyday modern use of English today.

Anyway, here's a video I made a few years ago about the English language including a chronology and timeline showing the evolution of the English language, in addition to a family language tree, and also a pie chart showing the composition of different languages which form the English language as we know it today.

* Maps showing the settlements of Germanic, Danish, Norse, Frisian and Normans into Great Britain are included and shown in this video, along with extract samples of Old English, Middle English, Early Modern English and American English.

* Explanations of the different variations of the English language in the modern world are all included in this video.

* Further information is in all the useful web links beneath this video.

* If you need any more references, try a Yahoo! search or Google search for "History of English". You will get over 200,000 hits. That should be enough for you!

Colonialism is just a natural part of survival of the fittest in nature btw. Insects, birds, humans all do it in order to survive in nature.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 05-25-2017 at 02:42 AM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,481
    Given: 6,982

2 Not allowed!

Esperanto is horrible.
    I cannot stand the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post
    One of the advantages of the English language is there's no masculine or feminine spelling rules of objects to have to remember.
    You call it an advantage?...

I love it that das Boot (the boat) is neuter in German, whilst Swedish bĺten is not.

Or that French the French sea (mer) is feminine, and the Spanish one (el mar) is masculine.

That gives every language an immanent poetical metaphysics of its own.

I couldn't live without it.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,860
    Given: 7,347

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post
    Esperanto is horrible.
    I cannot stand the sound of it.

You call it an advantage?...

I love it that das Boot (the boat) is neuter in German, whilst Swedish bĺten is not.

Or that French the French sea (mer) is feminine, and the Spanish one (el mar) is masculine.

That gives every language an immanent poetical metaphysics of its own.

I couldn't live without it.
    Are you serious here? I still don't understand the point behind gender in language.

As for English, if we standardized our spelling and pronunciation, it would be arguably one of the easiest languages in the Western world.

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,883
    Given: 1,005

3 Not allowed!

Esperanto is a hothouse flower of an artificial language. It is nobody's birth language, a situation which is likely to continue indefinitely. Though supposedly "universal" it gives no more than a nod to Asian languages, and its grammar is strictly Indo-European.

Esperanto was a noble experiment which decades of desuetude have proved unsuccessful.
    "This is not my time; this is not my world; these are not my people." - Martin H. Francis

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2021 @ 10:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt & fag
    Ethnicity
    French (Normandy, Alsace), German (Saxony, Lower Silesia), Spanish Basque (Biskaya)
    Ancestry
    Some cheeky monkeys with opposable first digit
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Occitania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L20
    Taxonomy
    Probably subnordid
    Politics
    Libtardism, European federalism, anti-nationalism
    Religion
    never complain, never explain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,268
    Given: 1,561

2 Not allowed!

Here's a similar thread I created last december

Esperanto was created by Doctor L.L. Zamenhof, a Polish Jew, in 1887.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...ight=esperanto

I wished this artificial language was chosen to become Europe's international language of communication instead of English.
    But no need to dream: it's too late for that. For nothing can stop English and its hegemony over the world, now.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of these Eurofags jealous of the international supremacy of English.
    It's one of my favorite languages. Very practical with tons of short words and a flexible syntax, more attractive, at least in its written form, than French or German. English offers a seductive combination of words of mixed origins: both Germanic and Romance.

But as a foreigner, I prefer to communicate in English with native speakers, I don't want to use it as a tool for international communication.
    International English is a soulless pidgin with no real home and a limited vocabulary.

Using Esperanto in Europe would make more sense, since it's a synthesis of various existing European languages.
    The following short paragraph is directly quoted from Wikipedia:

The phonology, grammar, vocabulary, and semantics are based on the Indo-European languages spoken in Europe. The sound inventory is essentially Slavic, as is much of the semantics, whereas the vocabulary derives primarily from the Romance languages, with a lesser contribution from Germanic languages and minor contributions from Slavic languages and Greek.

Learning Esperanto is extremely easy. There are only 16 basic grammar rules to remember, with no exceptions or particular cases whatsoever.
    Vocabulary is very simple, words are easy to pronounce for every nationality.
    Besides, it has pleasant sonorities, reminiscent of many Romance or Slavic languages.

Although I've never been very motivated to learn this language (only spoken by less than 2 million people worldwide), I've assimilated the 16 rules and from time to time, I try to increase my vocabulary through passive learning (I mostly read Wikipedia pages in Esperanto)
    Furthermore, Esperanto has an obvious propedeutical value: a study has demonstrated that learning it improves natural faculties to learn foreign languages.

Esperanto has obviously no chance to achieve world success. To me it only represents a good alternative to Globish-English, and reflects more the identity of continental Europe.
    What is your opinion on that subject? Have you ever tried to learn this language ?
    Do you find it beautiful or repulsive ?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information