Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Opposites attract' is a MYTH: People who disagree with us trigger negative feelings that lead to re

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

3 Not allowed!

Default 'Opposites attract' is a MYTH: People who disagree with us trigger negative feelings that lead to re

'Opposites attract' is a MYTH: People who disagree with us trigger negative feelings that lead to repulsion

Professor Viren Swami, a social psychologist at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, explains why the romantic myth that 'opposites attract' is far from the truth.

If you were brought up on a diet of Disney fairy tales, you might be forgiven for thinking that opposites attract. But a new study tracking people's digital footprints – how they behave online – suggests this isn't true to life

The romantic myth that 'opposites attract' has been around for centuries.

From Beauty and the Beast to the Little Mermaid, many popular fairy tales are centred around couples coming together in spite of their glaring differences.

But according to decades of scientific research, opposites tend to find each other repulsive.

In a piece for The Conversation, Professor Viren Swami, a social psychologist at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, explores why opposites rarely attract.

And it isn't the first time science has come to this conclusion. For decades, psychologists and sociologists have pointed out that the idea that opposites attract is a myth.

In fact, almost all the evidence suggests that opposites very rarely attract.

The psychologist Donn Byrne was one of the first to study the impact of similarity on the early stages of relationships. To do so, he developed a method known as the 'phantom stranger technique'.

People who agree with us validate our attitudes and so satisfy this need, whereas people who disagree with us tend to stimulate negative feelings – anxiety, confusion and maybe even anger – that lead to repulsion.

Byrne's early research was limited to similarity of attitudes, but other research has suggested that there may also be greater attraction to others who share similar sociodemographic dimensions.

For example, studies have shown that online daters are more likely to contact and reply to others who have similar educational and ethnic backgrounds as themselves, and are of a similar age.

However, Byrne's later research suggested that attitudinal similarity may be more important than sociodemographic similarity when it comes to relationship formation.

Too much similarity?

But this isn't quite the end of the story. Psychologist Arthur Aron believes that, while similarity is important, there may be some situations in which it can actually undermine attraction.

He argued that people also have a need to grow and expand the self – and that one reason why we form relationships with others is because we can assimilate some of the qualities of our partners, which promotes such growth.

The implication is that we will be attracted to others who offer the greatest potential for self-expansion – and someone who is similar in values and traits provides much less potential for growth than someone who is different.

So, the model ends up predicting that dissimilarity can sometimes be attractive, especially if you believe that there is a good possibility a relationship will develop.

Aron's research using the phantom stranger technique would seem to support this idea.

But of course, the picture gets more complicated when we consider how couples actually behave in real life.

For example, when couples discover that they disagree strongly on some topic they often bring their attitudes into 'alignment' with each other – becoming more similar to each other over time.

So, if you're single and looking, the advice from decades of scientific research is simple: Stop believing that the right match for you is someone who has the opposite qualities to you.

Opposites almost never attract and you're much better off focusing on people who have similar qualities and attitudes to yourself, but who offer some potential for self-expansion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ract-MYTH.html

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alien
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Dardania
    Y-DNA
    J2b1>PH4306>Y22066>?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,042
    Given: 1,392

3 Not allowed!

Opposites dont attract lol, i always search for some similarities and common interests otherwise is a turn off, even for a one nighter.
    I mean maybe there could be some one nighter if we are both drunk and dont care about other things

King of Swords Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:16 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    my own tribe
    Ethnicity
    entheos
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a1a
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,344
    Given: 31,140

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dema View Post
    Opposites dont attract lol, i always search for some similarities and common interests otherwise is a turn off, even for a one nighter.
    I mean maybe there could be some one nighter if we are both drunk and dont care about other things
    You're such a manwhore.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alien
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Dardania
    Y-DNA
    J2b1>PH4306>Y22066>?
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    You're such a manwhore.
    I am not Dick, besides last time i was drunk was more then 2 years ago.. I was just speaking hypothetically, and i am not a one nighter type but you never know

What do you look at a woman dick? What kind of personalities you like? Or its all about their look

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    my own tribe
    Ethnicity
    entheos
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a1a
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dema View Post
    I am not Dick, besides last time i was drunk was more then 2 years ago.. I was just speaking hypothetically, and i am not a one nighter type but you never know

What do you look at a woman dick? What kind of personalities you like? Or its all about their look
    God, you're sensitive. It's all about looks for me! I get along with everyone anyway.

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,167
    Given: 13,531

2 Not allowed!

It's all about looks for me!
    You are such a shallow person.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alien
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Dardania
    Y-DNA
    J2b1>PH4306>Y22066>?
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

God, you're sensitive. It's all about looks for me! I get along with everyone anyway.
    Im sensitive manwhore

Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,266
    Given: 7,816

3 Not allowed!

Yeah it is a myth indeed. Having totally opposite interests and clashing personalities isn't going to work in a relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    But 2 dicks in the ass is a really cool experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    He's ashamed his son is almost 40 years old and only works a few hours a week as a dancing cow.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    my own tribe
    Ethnicity
    entheos
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a1a
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wota fuq View Post
    You are such a shallow person.
    In general, women are more shallow than men they just won't admit it.

Last Online
    03-02-2021 @ 10:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Dalofaelid with Corded Nordid influences
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,666
    Given: 13,081

0 Not allowed!

Of course, opposites don't attract - that's bullshit for teen girls and children who still believe in Santa.
    Even when I started dating girls (I was 16 back then) I needed to have some things in common with them.
    I'm not a hypocrite - physical attraction has always been important to me, also.
    Every man who says that a woman's look is not important to him is simply a liar.
    Of course, with age most of us (this is also my case) start to pay more attention (than we have done before) to certain traits and personal qualities in a woman. We are not as shallow as some women think.
    Sure, each couple has its hard times and you don't need to agree about everything (the perfect soulmate thing is another crap for those who believe in unicorns) but having some common interests and understandings is really important.
    After not shaving for a while:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information