http://hungarianfreepress.com/2017/0...oma-community/

Previously, speaking on the ATV news network, Mr. Vona emphasized his willingness to issue an apology to both Hungarian Jews and the Roma community, as part of his efforts to move Jobbik to more moderate territory. While claiming that Jobbik was never actually antisemitic or anti-Roma, he admitted rather euphemistically that “poor sentences” and “derailed processes” did exist. The problem is that even recently, thanks to Jobbik politician Dóra Duró, a proposal was put forward that would have tied voting rights to a minimum Grade 8 education. It was widely believed that this was a way to keep uneducated Romani who are used by Fidesz from casting ballots.

Mr. Vona asserted that Jobbik has members of Jewish origins, as well as other minority backgrounds, and that today they “occupy a respectable place within the party.” He then added: “No party member may suffer any disadvantage purely because he/she is Roma.” When asked whether he would be willing to field a Roma candidate on the Jobbik list in 2018 such as the mayor of Cserdi, a Roma majority village, who has worked wonders in dramatically reducing crime and unemployment, Mr. Vona said this:

“Yes, I can see this happening. I am very proud of those Gypsy people who can show exemplary results in their communities. I have read the earlier statements of the mayor of Cserdi and I feel that he has serious reservations about Jobbik. But I am open to launching dialogue with him. If we do not speak with each other, we will not find solutions.”

Mr. Vona’s transformation over the last three years is noteworthy, but it’s also worth remembering that this party does still serve as a political home for prominent far right voices, such as László Toroczkai. But in its tone and politics, Jobbik’s national leadership is now to the centre of Fidesz.