mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

2 Not allowed!

It seems that dying-and-resurrecting gods were generally more popular amongst women than men in ancient times. This was especially true of Dionysus. Whatever else his ancient character and function may have included, it is generally believed that Dionysus' popularity in Classical times is based to a large degree on the belief that he offered salvation to his believers.

The mystics associated him with the Nether World and Heaven, and Dionysus embodied the outstanding features of mystery religions: ecstasy, salvation from the daily world through physical or spiritual intoxication, and initiation into secret rites. After all, he had died but been resurrected, then finally ascended to Heaven. His cyclical retreats to the Nether World and final ascent to heavensuggested the possibility that eternal life was possible to his followers.

Dionysus was called a savior and redeemer, particularly as Dionysos Eleutherios (saviour). The statues of Dionysus found in tombs all have an egg in one hand, signifying the belief of his followers in resurrection through rebirth. Thus, eating eggs were prohibited in Orphic religion, for the prime object of Orphism was to escape from the unending cycle of reincarnation and arrival in the Eleusian Fields (i.e. heaven).

The Eleusinian mysteries, performed with respect to Dionysus, were performed as Autumn mysteries. The novices danced over the sacred road with music, being beaten and abused. Dionysus was born on December 25 - the winter solstice and common birthday of the dying-and-resurrecting savior-god who is associated with the birth of light.

He was resurrected on March 25 after dying three days earlier. In the night of 5th. January, when Dionysus changed water into wine, he married Ariadne. A mask with a beard was hung on a wooden pole in the Eleusinian mysteries. It was crowned with ivy was cloaked in a purple garment. This garment was supposed to be the same that he wore in the Netherworld, borrowing it from Persephone when he went there to resurrect his mother, the earth. He was also often depicted hanging from a cross.

In Crete, his festival included participants ripping apart a bull and eating the raw flesh. Similar kinds of frenzied celebrations continued in Macedonia and Thrace long after they had been tamed in Greece.

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,942
    Given: 12,769

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sekarotuinen View Post
    I really dont have much of a clue about how Christians celebrate Easter. I know the basics of what it is about, but not how it's done.

So please post your Easter traditions ITT, and why you have them.
    I remember in elementary school doing the stages of the cross in the school chapel (it's like a play of sorts but just people reading lines and now that I think about it I have to say it's really fucking weird). It was better than being in class, I guess, but it sucked like everything else in Catholic School. I'm surprised I didn't snap and burn the chapel down.

Also, for the record we Muslims believe that Jesus (peace be upon him), never died, and Judas died in his stead due to divine intervention.
    Muhammad and his self serving stories. "Don't believe this crazy shit but believe my crazy shit."

Banned
    Last Online
    05-20-2018 @ 11:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euramerasian
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Ancestry
    1/4 Spanish; 1/4 Japanese; 1/4 German; 1/4 Amerindian
    Country
    France
    Region
    Pays de la Loire
    Politics
    She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred."
    Religion
    Islam
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,226
    Given: 456

2 Not allowed!

It's basically what happens when you fuse Passover and Indo-European pagan vernal equinox celebrations into one Frankenstein holiday.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mekihabaithor View Post
    It's basically what happens when you fuse Passover and Indo-European pagan vernal equinox celebrations into one Frankenstein holiday.
    The existence of an Indo-European religion is purely science fiction. Neo-Paganism also is not a religion. Its an invention of Victorian fantasy writers and not based on the primary texts describing ancient religion, therefore it has no basis in historical reality.

Throughout the ancient world religion meant ancestry worship. It was the same culture as that of the Japanese religion. Ancestor worship and nothing more. Herodotus explains the origins of the Greek religion and Hero worship in Book 2 of his histories and even down to the time of Porphyry everyone subscribed to the same view. The Gods were nothing more than defied kings who were later syncretised with natural forces. The bible takes it to its ultimate limit by syncretising all the Gods into one, firstly in the Old Testament which was syncretised in Hellenistic times when the Septuagint was written and then with the Christian religion where the Jewish God who had only been created about 100 years earlier was syncretised with the now ancestor cult of Jesus Christ and with the God of Plato, hence the Father, the Son and the Word.

The Germanics had their own pantheon which was based on the worship of their ancestral kings. The Romans used the Greek pantheon because half of Italy was colonised by Greeks but they were also aware of the Tyrrhenian and Carthaginian pantheons and those of the Phrygians and the Babylonians and Egyptians and even the Persians.

The Hellenic religion worshiped city Gods. It is not pagan its a city state religion and all Greeks are descended from the Gods-former kings, who founded their city states. The county dwellers, ie. pagans did not really worship the Gods of the state in the first place since they were not part of the city state being pagans. The city states continued to worship their ancestral Gods until the Christians abolished the Mysteries/rituals which were all imported from the Greeks in Egypt in the first place who returning to Greece brought with them their religious rights.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 01:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,248
    Given: 4,031

0 Not allowed!

I really dont have much of a clue about how Christians celebrate Easter. I know the basics of what it is about, but not how it's done.

So please post your Easter traditions ITT, and why you have them.

Also, for the record we Muslims believe that Jesus (peace be upon him), never died, and Judas died in his stead due to divine intervention.

It is the most important Christian .

Banned
    Last Online
    05-20-2018 @ 11:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euramerasian
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Ancestry
    1/4 Spanish; 1/4 Japanese; 1/4 German; 1/4 Amerindian
    Country
    France
    Region
    Pays de la Loire
    Politics
    She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred."
    Religion
    Islam
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,226
    Given: 456

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    The existence of an Indo-European religion is purely science fiction. Neo-Paganism also is not a religion. Its an invention of Victorian fantasy writers and not based on the primary texts describing ancient religion, therefore it has no basis in historical reality.

Throughout the ancient world religion meant ancestry worship. It was the same culture as that of the Japanese religion. Ancestor worship and nothing more. Herodotus explains the origins of the Greek religion and Hero worship in Book 2 of his histories and even down to the time of Porphyry everyone subscribed to the same view. The Gods were nothing more than defied kings who were later syncretised with natural forces. The bible takes it to its ultimate limit by syncretising all the Gods into one, firstly in the Old Testament which was syncretised in Hellenistic times when the Septuagint was written and then with the Christian religion where the Jewish God who had only been created about 100 years earlier was syncretised with the now ancestor cult of Jesus Christ and with the God of Plato, hence the Father, the Son and the Word.

The Germanics had their own pantheon which was based on the worship of their ancestral kings. The Romans used the Greek pantheon because half of Italy was colonised by Greeks but they were also aware of the Tyrrhenian and Carthaginian pantheons and those of the Phrygians and the Babylonians and Egyptians and even the Persians.

The Hellenic religion worshiped city Gods. It is not pagan its a city state religion and all Greeks are descended from the Gods-former kings, who founded their city states. The county dwellers, ie. pagans did not really worship the Gods of the state in the first place since they were not part of the city state being pagans. The city states continued to worship their ancestral Gods until the Christians abolished the Mysteries/rituals which were all imported from the Greeks in Egypt in the first place who returning to Greece brought with them their religious rights.

Puto el que lee Jacques de Imbelloni's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,400
    Given: 2,644

0 Not allowed!

Last Online
    03-09-2021 @ 01:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, English
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian and English
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 601
    Given: 401

0 Not allowed!

Baptist church Easter service

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,722
    Given: 17,037

1 Not allowed!

I meant the way it is celebrated. Things Christians do on Easter, and what they mean.
    These things vary greatly among denominations and countries.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,722
    Given: 17,037

1 Not allowed!

My family is German, so we followed a German Easter tradition. Even as I say that, I am sure different regions in Germany celebrate differently.

My family aren't the church-going types and there was no talk of Jesus at all. Easter for us was a cultural and not a religious event.

Each Easter the dyeing of eggs was an important procedure to be undertaken on the Friday evening. It would take hours and the utmost care would be taken. On Easter Sunday, when I was little, the eggs (and other chocolates) would be hidden in the garden among the trees and plants. I'd have the pleasure of looking for them. It provided hours and hours of entertainment.

Until today, I am mad about Easter. A couple years ago, when I was fortunate enough to have some left-over cash, I bought dozens of Easter chocolates and dyed eggs. I invited my parents-in-law over and hid all the eggs and chocolates in the garden. They (and my family) had to look for them. My parents-in-law and husband had a blast because this is something they had never experienced before.

For my husband and his family, Easter was a religious (and not cultural) event. Everyone went to church on the Sunday and got a few chocolate eggs to chew on afterwards.

This year Easter was a flop. On Friday afternoon we arranged with my stepdad that he would come over on Sunday and that he and my husband would hide eggs in the garden for me. I was going to make waffles for us. Unfortunately my husband became very ill on Friday night and we had to cancel the Easter-egg hunt today. It is also my husband's birthday today, and the poor guy spent it on the couch as sick as a dog. So hubby's birthday and Easter didn't turn out as anticipated. I'm sad for my husband because he's feeling shit, and sad for me because I didn't get to look for Easter eggs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information