Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Default “France isn’t burkinis on the beach. France is Brigitte Bardot.”

France's Marine Le Pen says she’s not waging a religious war

"Everyone has the right to practice their religion, to worship as they choose," the French presidential candidate says. "My war is against Islamic fundamentalism."

Marine Le Pen (translation): Yes. Yes. Of course they’ve gone too far. Globalization has become an ideology with no constraints. And now, nations are forcing themselves back into the debate. Nations with borders we control, with people that we listen to, with real economies, not Wall Street economies, but rather factories and farmers. And this goes against this unregulated globalization, wild, savage globalization.

Anderson Cooper: Savage globalization?

Marine Le Pen (translation): Yes, Savage of course. Wild globalization has benefited some, but it’s been a catastrophe for most.

A catastrophe, she says, which has ravaged the French economy, as jobs have faded away and immigrants have flooded in, many of them Muslim immigrants, from North Africa who Le Pen says are draining resources, rejecting French values and transforming the culture.

Anderson Cooper: One of the concerns of many of your supporters is that immigration, current immigration is changing the character of France. It’s changing the spirit of the country?

Marine Le Pen (translation): It’s because of this massive immigration and more in some places, (that) France’s image has undeniably changed. There are a number of neighborhoods where you are no longer living a French life. That’s undeniable.

France is still a country of bistros and fine Bordeaux, baguettes and bucolic churches. But immigrants now make up 12 percent of the population and they’ve brought with them new beliefs and customs, couscous and kebabs, head scarves and an outfit called the Burkini, a full-body swimsuit for Muslim women that’s become the latest flashpoint in a raging culture war. We were surprised at just how far Marine Le Pen was willing to go to enforce assimilation.

Marine Le Pen (translation): France isn’t burkinis on the beach. France is Brigitte Bardot. That’s France.

Anderson Cooper: Should Muslim people be allowed to wear headscarves?

Marine Le Pen (translation): No. I’m opposed to wearing headscarves in public places. That’s not France. There’s something I just don’t understand: the people who come to France, why would they want to change France, to live in France the same way they lived back home?

It’s not just headscarves. Le Pen says she would ban yarmulkes in public, any conspicuous symbol of religious belief.

Anderson Cooper: When Donald Trump says, “Make America great again,” are you saying, “Make France great again?”

Marine Le Pen (translation): Yes, of course. I’ve been saying that for many years. We are a great nation, which has lot to offer to the world, but to offer something to the world France has to remain France.

She calls for a radical shift in the country’s foreign policy, vowing to renegotiate its membership in the European Union, or else leave altogether. A move that could result in the breakup of the EU. And just like President Trump, she’s questioned the role of NATO, and advocates closer ties with Russia.

Anderson Cooper: What is your admiration for Russia, for Vladimir Putin?

Marine Le Pen (translation): Look. I’m not a fan in a rock concert, you see. I am a political leader in a great nation of the world. What interests me are France’s interests.

Anderson Cooper: You don’t believe Russia’s a threat for Europe?

Marine Le Pen (translation): I don’t believe that at all. I think that’s a big scam.

Anderson Cooper: Invasion in Ukraine--

Anderson Cooper: Invasion of Crimea?

Marine Le Pen (translation): I’ll tell you what the danger is for Europe. It’s carrying out a cold war against Russia and pushing Russia into China’s arms. That’s the threat to Europe.

Anderson Cooper: You don’t think Vladimir Putin, though, is a killer, is a-- is a-- a threat to France, to others in this region?

Marine Le Pen (translation): No, I don’t believe it is so. Nothing Vladimir Putin has done would make me reach that conclusion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/frances-...religious-war/

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 01:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,248
    Given: 4,031

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    France's Marine Le Pen says she’s not waging a religious war

"Everyone has the right to practice their religion, to worship as they choose," the French presidential candidate says. "My war is against Islamic fundamentalism."

Marine Le Pen (translation): Yes. Yes. Of course they’ve gone too far. Globalization has become an ideology with no constraints. And now, nations are forcing themselves back into the debate. Nations with borders we control, with people that we listen to, with real economies, not Wall Street economies, but rather factories and farmers. And this goes against this unregulated globalization, wild, savage globalization.

Anderson Cooper: Savage globalization?

Marine Le Pen (translation): Yes, Savage of course. Wild globalization has benefited some, but it’s been a catastrophe for most.

A catastrophe, she says, which has ravaged the French economy, as jobs have faded away and immigrants have flooded in, many of them Muslim immigrants, from North Africa who Le Pen says are draining resources, rejecting French values and transforming the culture.

Anderson Cooper: One of the concerns of many of your supporters is that immigration, current immigration is changing the character of France. It’s changing the spirit of the country?

Marine Le Pen (translation): It’s because of this massive immigration and more in some places, (that) France’s image has undeniably changed. There are a number of neighborhoods where you are no longer living a French life. That’s undeniable.

France is still a country of bistros and fine Bordeaux, baguettes and bucolic churches. But immigrants now make up 12 percent of the population and they’ve brought with them new beliefs and customs, couscous and kebabs, head scarves and an outfit called the Burkini, a full-body swimsuit for Muslim women that’s become the latest flashpoint in a raging culture war. We were surprised at just how far Marine Le Pen was willing to go to enforce assimilation.

Marine Le Pen (translation): France isn’t burkinis on the beach. France is Brigitte Bardot. That’s France.

Anderson Cooper: Should Muslim people be allowed to wear headscarves?

Marine Le Pen (translation): No. I’m opposed to wearing headscarves in public places. That’s not France. There’s something I just don’t understand: the people who come to France, why would they want to change France, to live in France the same way they lived back home?

It’s not just headscarves. Le Pen says she would ban yarmulkes in public, any conspicuous symbol of religious belief.

Anderson Cooper: When Donald Trump says, “Make America great again,” are you saying, “Make France great again?”

Marine Le Pen (translation): Yes, of course. I’ve been saying that for many years. We are a great nation, which has lot to offer to the world, but to offer something to the world France has to remain France.

She calls for a radical shift in the country’s foreign policy, vowing to renegotiate its membership in the European Union, or else leave altogether. A move that could result in the breakup of the EU. And just like President Trump, she’s questioned the role of NATO, and advocates closer ties with Russia.

Anderson Cooper: What is your admiration for Russia, for Vladimir Putin?

Marine Le Pen (translation): Look. I’m not a fan in a rock concert, you see. I am a political leader in a great nation of the world. What interests me are France’s interests.

Anderson Cooper: You don’t believe Russia’s a threat for Europe?

Marine Le Pen (translation): I don’t believe that at all. I think that’s a big scam.

Anderson Cooper: Invasion in Ukraine--

Anderson Cooper: Invasion of Crimea?

Marine Le Pen (translation): I’ll tell you what the danger is for Europe. It’s carrying out a cold war against Russia and pushing Russia into China’s arms. That’s the threat to Europe.

Anderson Cooper: You don’t think Vladimir Putin, though, is a killer, is a-- is a-- a threat to France, to others in this region?

Marine Le Pen (translation): No, I don’t believe it is so. Nothing Vladimir Putin has done would make me reach that conclusion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/frances-...religious-war/
    I listened to her speak at the European Parliament she does not sound like a radical to me at all she makes a lot of sense.

Thread Information