Thread: are isis terrorists sociopaths/psychopaths ?

Veteran Member crazyladybutterfly's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-13-2021 @ 03:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,991
    Given: 21,752

1 Not allowed!

Default are isis terrorists sociopaths/psychopaths ?

I don’t think the majority has antisocial personality disorder but I had one self-declared psychopath who added me on fb 1 or 2 years ago who said that he was thinking about joining isis , on his profile he published some execution videos too.

What I think is the case of most is the same phenomenon that happened with nazis .. from normal people to cold blooded bastards due to isis media influence and the need to do “something important” even if it means sacrificing someone’s life or his own.

Furthermore isis impose a strict set of rules which would be hard to follow for a psychopathic individual and psychopaths , being less emotional, tend to be more realistic in some aspects of life which leads them to be often non-religious.

Many might commit atrocities for the same “phenomenon” happened during the milgram experiment . Extract from the wikipedia article : “The subject is led to believe that for each wrong answer, the learner was receiving actual electric shocks, though in reality there were no such punishments.” Milgram experiment - Wikipedia . I think this can be the case of some recruits especially the youngest ones , in particular the children that murder innocent men in front of the camera.

Here I found a long more detailed explaination :

. In 1996, The Lancet carried an editorial pointing out that no one was addressing evil from a biological point of view. Neurosurgeon Itzhak Fried, at the University of California, Los Angeles, decided to rise to the challenge.

In a paper published in 1997, he argued that the transformation of non-violent individuals into repetitive killers is characterised by a set of symptoms that suggests a common condition, which he called Syndrome E (see “Seven symptoms of evil“). He suggested that this is the result of “cognitive fracture”, which occurs when a higher brain region, the prefrontal cortex (PFC) – involved in rational thought and decision-making – stops paying attention to signals from more primitive brain regions and goes into overdrive.

Fried’s theory starts with the assumption that people normally have a natural aversion to harming others. If he is correct, the higher brain overrides this instinct in people with Syndrome E. How might that occur?

Etienne Koechlin was able to throw some empirical light on the matter by looking at people obeying rules that conflict with their own preferences. He put volunteers inside a brain scanner and let them choose between two simple tasks, guided by their past experience of which would be the more financially rewarding (paying 6 euros versus 4). After a while he randomly inserted rule-based trials: now there was a colour code indicating which of the two tasks to choose, and volunteers were told that if they disobeyed they would get no money.

Not surprisingly, they followed the rule, even when it meant that choosing the task they had learned would earn them a lower pay-off in the free-choice trials. But something unexpected happened. Although rule-following should have led to a simpler decision, they took longer over it, as if conflicted. In the brain scans, both the lateral and the medial regions of the PFC lit up. The former is known to be sensitive to rules; the latter receives information from the limbic system, an ancient part of the brain that processes emotional states, so is sensitive to our innate preferences. In other words, when following the rule, people still considered their personal preference, but activity in the lateral PFC overrode it.

Of course, playing for a few euros is far removed from choosing to kill fellow humans. However, Koechlin believes his results show that our instinctive values endure even when the game changes. “Rules do not change values, just behaviours,” he says. He interprets this as showing that it is normal, not pathological, for the higher brain to override signals coming from the primitive brain. If Fried’s idea is correct, this process goes into overdrive in Syndrome E, helping to explain how an ordinary person overcomes their squeamishness to kill.

Fried suggests that people experience a visceral reaction when they kill for the first time, but some rapidly become desensitised. And the primary instinct not to harm may be more easily overcome when people are “just following orders”.

“The old idea that the cognitive brain doesn’t have evaluative access to that habitual behaviour, that it’s beyond its reach, is false,” says Graybiel. “It has moment-to-moment evaluative control.” That’s exciting, she says, because it suggests a way to treat people with maladaptive habits such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, or even, potentially, Syndrome E.

Graybiel believes it might even be possible to stop people deciding to kill in the first place by steering them away from the kind of cost-benefit analysis that led them to, say, blow themselves up on a crowded bus. In separate experiments with risk-taking rats, her team found that optogenetically decreasing activity in another part of the limbic system that communicates with the PFC, the striatum, made the rats more risk-averse: “We can just turn a knob and radically alter their behaviour,” she says

Both Reicher and Atran believe that future research should focus less on why people decide to perform extreme acts, and more on what draws them to extreme organisations in the first place. Speaking at the UN, Atran argued that young people need a dream. Appeals for moderation will never be attractive to “youth, yearning for adventure, for glory, for significance”, he said.

But Fried is encouraged that neuroscience has bolstered the idea of Syndrome E, and still believes we can benefit from thinking in terms of what is going on inside the brain of a killer. What’s more, group dynamics might help explain why the PFC is at the root of evil.

Fried is not a proponent of using drugs to treat Syndrome E. Instead, he thinks we should use our growing neuroscientific knowledge to identify radicalisation early, isolate those affected and help them change. “The signs and symptoms should be made widely known, so that people can spot them,” he says. When it comes to prevention, he thinks education is probably the key. And in that, at least, he agrees with his detractors.

Seven symptoms of evil

The idea that evil is a disease is predicated on the observation that mass killers share some common traits:

Compulsive repetitive violence
    Obsessive beliefs
    Rapid desensitisation to violence
    Flat emotional state
    Separation of violence from everyday activities
    Obedience to an authority
    Perceiving group members as virtuous
    Is evil a disease? ISIS and the neuroscience of brutality
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/att...0&d=1471874957

Quote Originally Posted by al-Bosni View Post
    I also have nails that I can use as a weapon.
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/at...8&d=1509531094

Banned
    Last Online
    05-15-2017 @ 11:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Handsome
    Ethnicity
    Tosk
    Ancestry
    Saturn
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    Washington
    Hero
    Ross.Beaumont, Cristiano viejo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 499
    Given: 705

0 Not allowed!

no.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-18-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Napulitan/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ancestry
    Vesuvio tribe, Germanic Lowlands
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    K2a
    Taxonomy
    Dinaricized gracile Med + CM
    Politics
    Justice & Peace
    Hero
    Ötzi the Iceman
    Religion
    L’uocchie sicche so’ peggio d”e scuppettate
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,114
    Given: 4,398

1 Not allowed!

As long as they believe that no matter how many sins a Muslim makes, a Christian or a Jew would be thrown into hell instead of them on the day of the ressurection, their case is pretty hopeless and this goes for all Muslims that accept the Hadith books of Sahih Al Muslim and Bukhari as containing reliable narrations about their prophet. Isis prays on the weakminded individual and powerhungry psychopath and uses Islamic sources to manipulate Muslims, who already have very confusing and rich sources from which you can justify lots of immoral deeds including warfare.

And the pope asks us the be humble and respect Muslims????? As a Christian this doesn't invite me to respect people who use these sources as part of their religion/Sunnah.

All of these Hadiths are Sahih:

''Abu Musa' reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: When it will be the Day of Resurrection Allah would deliver to every Muslim a Jew or a Christian and say: That is your rescue from Hell-Fire.

Abu Burda reported on the authority of his father that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: No Muslim would die but Allah would admit in his stead a Jew or a Christian in Hell-Fire. 'Umar b. Abd al-'Aziz took an oath: By One besides Whom there is no god but He, thrice that his father had narrated that to him from Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him).

This hadith has been transmitted on the authority of 'Aun b. Utba.

Abu Burda reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: There would come people amongst the Muslims on the Day of Resurrection with as heavy sins as a mountain, and Allah would forgive them and He would place in their stead the Jews and the Christians. (As far as I think), Abu Raub said: I do not know as to who is in doubt. Abu Burda said: I narrated it to 'Umar b. 'Abd al-'Aziz, whereupon he said: Was it your father who narrated it to you from Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him)? I said: Yes. ''

Last Online
    10-01-2020 @ 06:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 217

2 Not allowed!

No. I think terrorism has more to do with external influences having an impact on individuals, the "herd mentality". You could be 100% neurotypical and still commit an act of terror if there is enough external pressure to do so. Also keep in mind sociopaths value their lives a lot as they also usually show symptoms of narcistic personality disorder, so any suicidal bomber is not likely to be a sociopath/have NPD; however on the contrary, terrorism would typically satisfy a sociopaths impulsive adrenaline fuelled personalities, so I'm not so sure.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    07-11-2017 @ 10:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 54

0 Not allowed!

No, they are just fanatic religious/extremists.

Last Online
    11-08-2020 @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Duck
    Ancestry
    of the world.
    Country
    Brazil
    Taxonomy
    Quinqueracial Duckoid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 456
    Given: 1,466

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Sharapova View Post
    No. I think terrorism has more to do with external influences having an impact on individuals, the "herd mentality". You could be 100% neurotypical and still commit an act of terror if there is enough external pressure to do so. Also keep in mind sociopaths value their lives a lot as they also usually show symptoms of narcistic personality disorder, so any suicidal bomber is not likely to be a sociopath/have NPD; however on the contrary, terrorism would typically satisfy a sociopaths impulsive adrenaline fuelled personalities, so I'm not so sure.
    Yep, there is no underestimating what group psychology can get people to do. If engaging in such atrocious behavior leads them to being more accepted by their peers, most are very likely to do it. It doesn't even take much religious extremism to accomplish it, just surround someone with people who reward such behavior, and it's going to happen eventually. I think a lot of people who join ISIS also crave this sort of group mentality, they wish to belong to an important group of people, they may feel their lives are empty and that they want to be part of something bigger than themselves, and so they join this terrorist group that can offer them a socially acceptable (in their bubble) adventurous lifestyle. These sorts of people are already much more prone to being influenced by group mentality, I think.

Thread Information