Geographically, Greece is anything but western, as it lies approximately between latitudes 34° and 42° N, and longitudes 19° and 30° E

but for historical reasons, Greece has interacted with both west and east, and especially during the last centuries of this millennium, mostly with the west, as a result, most of bibliography today, includes it in Southern Europe, which is part of the west

What i have noticed in terms of some-mostly Turkish-users, is that they associate Greek history as a whole with eastern Europe, with its only connection with the west being the last century of the EU, and even NATO. That's obviously wrong

Since i will not include the ancient Greece and Rome which are considered the cradle of western civilization and blabalblabla, I will start with the last millenium, from 1000 to 2000 AD

1)As early as 12-15th centuries, most of Greece was under Venetian, Frankish and Catalan dominance, notable duchys and kingdoms such as the kingdom of Salonica, Duchy of Athens etc are recorded back in these centuries. In some regions (like my island) such dominance will continue until as late as 18th century.

2)As late as 1828, Greece turns to an independent state, and 4 years later to a Bavarian ruled kingdom, something that lasted for almost 150 years, until 1974, when Greece turned to a republic. For all these years, Greece interacted almost exclusively with the west, being one of the earliest members of the EU, and a traditional ally of the US.

Also, Greeks,either as an independent state or as a foreign ruled region, always had a naval-colonial history (even in America), and participated in United states’ history since first colonies were established there

The impact of ALL of these periods is present in modern Greece

On the other hand, of course there are undeniable connections with eastern Europe, or even with non-European eastern countries, which have been analysed several times in this forum

Unlike many Greeks, I feel eastern Europeans, and many middle easterners (such as Syrians or Palestinians, not turks, and especially the autistic ones like Bori) as familiar. What i am just saying is that i feel closer to Mediterranean Europeans first, and if Southern Europeans are western, then Greece is mostly western too.