PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Alsace-Lorraine, French or German? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Alsace-Lorraine, French or German?

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,481
    Given: 6,982

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melki View Post
    Ethnolinguistically, Normans are not distinct from the French people, and Norman is only a langue d'oil dialect. It is true, though, thar Bormandy possesses a strong regional identity.
    It's much fun how people are delusional when it comes about France.
    Sometimes I have a feeling we're on Skadi Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    But France still employed 'light force' for achieving linguistic unity
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    Well, children were punished for speaking any other language than French.
    That same old bullshit again.

Quote Originally Posted by Laberia View Post
    Well, well, well, the Balkan spirit is alive in the heart of Europe. Just if someone start to scratch it and here it is.
    Oh no.
    The only hot spots used to be Northern Ireland and Spanish Basque country but the situation is by and large rather peaceful now.

My only concern would be for Belgium. This country owns a remarkably overlooked potential for violence, there is much latent hatred and hidden frustrations. But it's as well likely also survive for centuries without anything happening, God knows why (not me).

Quote Originally Posted by Melki View Post
    France is a multinational state, the most multiethnic one in Europe...
    A multinational nation, a multiethnic people, what next?
    A multicultural culture?
    That makes no sense.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,955
    Given: 11,667

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post
    It's much fun how people are delusional when it comes about France.
    Sometimes I have a feeling we're on Skadi Forum.
    Normands would also get insta-banned there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post
    My only concern would be for Belgium. This country owns a remarkably overlooked potential for violence, there is much latent hatred and hidden frustrations. But it's as well likely also survive for centuries without anything happening, God knows why (not me).
    The reason our relation in Belgium isn't like in former Yugoslavia is because all native Belgians are Catholic. The Spaniards managed to stamp out all traces of Protestantism and successfully so (no crypto-nonsense neither). This religious unity isn't to be underestimated and might stand at the root of our general peacefulness. Just a speculation, though...

Last time there was sort of a war between Dutch and French speakers was over the Reformation actually! Of course, the Reformation also spread among Francophones (so called 'Hagenpreken' (no idea how they're called in English and French) had Dutch and French variants in the Low Countries), but the Reformation spread via language in the end and it's no coincidence almost only Dutch-speaking lands joined the Union of Utrecht, whereas all French-speaking lands joined the Union of Arras and remained loyal to the Spanish Hapsburgs.

That being said, keep in mind the Belgian mindset is rather parochial. There isn't a strong sense of nationality like in most other European nations. I am fairly ethnonationalist myself to the standards of my land and I barely am compared to most people here. Well, that's what they mean when they say 'Belgians don't take themselves seriously'.
    Last edited by Dandelion; 06-07-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
    I know the French fought hard and bravely to recover Alsace-Lorraine from Germany
    It's not "bravely recovering" if it's someone else's land that your country conquered centuries ago.

It's the Germans who bravely recovered it.

Why do you like France so much anyway?

Banned
    Last Online
    11-16-2023 @ 05:04 AM
    In a remote province of the Planet of the Apes...
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,708
    Given: 8,357

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post
    It's not "bravely recovering" if it's someone else's land that your country conquered centuries ago.

It's the Germans who bravely recovered it.

Why do you like France so much anyway?
    You ask why I like France like you are asking why do I like Latvia or something. Nothing wrong with Latvia, but it's not an important country. If you love European culture and civilization, your first countries to consider are France and Germany and I like and respect both, but France has been less of a bully and more of a friend to Romania and other Eastern European countries. I am of course referring to the period up to 1945. Germany was a loose cannon politically between 1871 and 1945. France was more prudent. Ever wonder how Germany managed to make so many enemies in that period? Btw, I also like the US and the UK and the whole Anglosphere and I am more than anything an Anglophile and an Americanophile.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

You ask why I like France like you are asking why do I like Latvia or something. Nothing wrong with Latvia, but it's not an important country. If you love European culture and civilization, your first countries to consider are France and Germany and I like and respect both, but France has been less of a bully and more of a friend to Romania and other Eastern European countries. I am of course referring to the period up to 1945. Germany was a loose cannon politically between 1871 and 1945. France was more prudent. Ever wonder how Germany managed to make so many enemies in that period? Btw, I also like the US and the UK and the whole Anglosphere and I am more than anything an Anglophile and an Americanophile.
    Fair enough, but I see A-L as a rightful part of the German nation occupied by France. Brainwashing by the French govt. doesn't change the fact that the people are Germans, but they are just confused because of brainwashing.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Fair enough, but I see A-L as a rightful part of the German nation occupied by France. Brainwashing by the French govt. doesn't change the fact that the people are Germans, but they are just confused because of brainwashing.
    Why brainwashing? Couldn't they just have fallen in love with France? Sure there has been a French policy of assimilation of minorities, for generations, but there hasn't been much opposition to it afaik.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Why brainwashing? Couldn't they just have fallen in love with France? Sure there has been a French policy of assimilation of minorities, for generations, but there hasn't been much opposition to it afaik.
    Because the French government has been training Alsatian children to be loyal to France from a young age. It's a form of genocide - children of a minority group are reeducated to see themselves as belonging to a majority group they will never truly be a part of.

ELSASS FREI!

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Because the French government has been training Alsatian children to be loyal to France from a young age. It's a form of genocide - children of a minority group are reeducated to see themselves as belonging to a majority group they will never truly be a part of.

ELSASS FREI!
    Genocide is definitely too strong a word. It's quite ridiculous to call cultural assimilation that. I think Germany should get Austria and South Tyrol instead. Peaacefully of course. People in South Tyrol definitely don't see themselves as Italian and aren't that. At least they have some degree of autonomy.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Genocide is definitely too strong a word. It's quite ridiculous to call cultural assimilation that. I think Germany should get Austria and South Tyrol instead. Peaacefully of course. People in South Tyrol definitely don't see themselves as Italian and aren't that. At least they have some degree of autonomy.
    Why not all three? Austria, South Tyrol, and A-L?

France is already big enough, and Germany deserves compensation for 1945.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information