H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Autrigón View Post
    Do you think the main differences are North-South? Is Europe only North-South?
    What about Eastern europeans? Do you think Scottish are very similar to Romanians or for example to some baltic people as Lithuanians?
    Before communism they were a lot more similar

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Antimage View Post
    In southern Hungary there's this custom wher people dress up like this at the end of the winter. It comes from south slavs who settled there.
    It is believed that if you put on these masks and march in it you chase away the winter.
    I think in Spain you have similar diguises, I remember seeing a spanish user here post it a year ago or so. I'm not 100% sure though

It exists in Greece too, and this custom is very ancient, associated with the cult of Dionysus in Thrace. Dionysus the younger was the son of Semele and invaded India (which was part of Thrace) in about 1450 BC. India at this time was the Danube Delta.

Deus Piter was the name of Zeus Jupiter who ruled the entire world from the Pillars of Hercules to Egypt and as far north as the Danube, from whence the so-called Aryans invaded India in about 1625 BC and set up the Hindu monarchies starting with Manu Vaivasvata.

Apollodorus 3.5.1

"Dionysus discovered the vine, and being driven mad by Hera he roamed about Egypt and Syria. At first he was received by Proteus, king of Egypt, but afterwards he arrived at Cybela in Phrygia. And there, after he had been purified by Rhea and learned the rites of initiation, he received from her the costume and hastened through Thrace against the Indians. But Lycurgus, son of Dryas, was king of the Edonians, who dwell beside the river Strymon, and he was the first who insulted and expelled him. Dionysus took refuge in the sea with Thetis, daughter of Nereus, and the Bacchanals were taken prisoners together with the multitude of Satyrs that attended him. But afterwards the Bacchanals were suddenly released, and Dionysus drove Lycurgus mad. And in his madness he struck his son Dryas dead with an axe, imagining that he was lopping a branch of a vine, and when he had cut off his son's extremities, he recovered his senses. But the land remaining barren, the god declared oracularly that it would bear fruit if Lycurgus were put to death. On hearing that, the Edonians led him to Mount Pangaeum and bound him, and there by the will of Dionysus he died, destroyed by horses.

Having traversed Thrace and the whole of India and set up pillars there, he came to Thebes, and forced the women to abandon their houses and rave in Bacchic frenzy on Cithaeron. "

All the Indian records place the foundation of the kingdoms of India in about 1625 BC. The Indians and the Greeks identified the Indian God Indra with Dionysus. The Greek Gods Uranus (Varuna) and Zeus (Dayus Piter, Jupiter) ruled over India before Dionysus. The name of the Indian God Brahma is a corruption of Kronos, given that we already have the names of Zeus and Uranus preserved in Indian texts.

Bloodline of 5/42 Evzone Regiment
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Byzantine Rumelia
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Christian Theocratic
    Hero
    Christian Emperors
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,924
    Given: 4,821

0 Not allowed!

Suprisingly enough all European nations share same customs - traditions differ from nation to nation but holidays, customs, way of life is pretty much identicle.
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12

Definition of untrustworthy and loose character are those that don't believe in God.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-27-2018 @ 11:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Misanthrope
    Country
    Mongolia
    Politics
    Lefty Alt-right
    Hero
    Angela Merkel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,875
    Given: 2,197

1 Not allowed!

Trolling and endless shitstorms are more related to TA atmosphere rather than anything else.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,234
    Given: 43,774

1 Not allowed!

Football is the most popular team sport in most European countries. Other team sports like basketball, volleyball, hockey, rugby etc. are most of the time very much secondary in comparison.

Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 11:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Sexy...too much sexy
    Country
    Micronesia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,071
    Given: 847

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Antimage View Post
    In southern Hungary there's this custom wher people dress up like this at the end of the winter. It comes from south slavs who settled there.
    It is believed that if you put on these masks and march in it you chase away the winter.
    I think in Spain you have similar diguises, I remember seeing a spanish user here post it a year ago or so. I'm not 100% sure though

Yes, this is northern Spain. Is some kind of ancient tradition related with winter and bad spirits.

Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,747
    Given: 3,217

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Autrigón View Post
    Yes, this is northern Spain. Is some kind of ancient tradition related with winter and bad spirits.
    I always thought this was an old carnival tradition:

We also have a more colorful variety:

Account Deleted
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 01:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic, Caucasian, and Slavic
    Ethnicity
    50% Banana
    Ancestry
    West Asian, South-Central Asian, and Northeastern European
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    G2b1a
    mtDNA
    V
    Taxonomy
    Clark Kent with browner hair and a more Iranian nose
    Politics
    Progressive, but not the stupid kind
    Religion
    Islam
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,062
    Given: 6,146

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Genetically and phenotypically no, but culturally the influence of Islam is so strong in Syria that they probably would feel more out of place in Syria because of that.
    Most people aren't anthrotards, so take genetics out of the equation. The average italian will not go to Syria and think "I'm genetically closer to these people than I am to Finnish people, so I feel closer to them." Separating humans based on so called "genetics" is not natural at all, because in addition to them being largely pseudo-scientifical, humans have mixed and related to other humans for ages much before we had ancestry DNA tests. The European hunter gatherers and Ancestral North Euroasians were quite "genetically different" if you based it off where they plot on a PCA, but they are both major components of modern European ancestry.

The modern European identity is probably the most important identity to Europeans besides their ethnic identity. Nobody can really define what truly bounds Europeans together and separates them from other groups of people, because in reality there is nothing that only Europeans share that some non-Europeans don't have. Phenotypically, South Europeans look equally as different from Levantines as they do from Northern Europeans, and most have a clear cut "European" phenotype, but a fair portion also pass well as Middle Eastern. However, phenotypes are all over the place across ethnicities so it doesn't matter. I met a full blooded ethnic Ukrainian the other day who I would have thought was a light skinned mestizo.

Religion? Well, plenty Levantines are Greek Orthodox and Catholic. Several Africans, Asians, Latinos, etc are Christian as well.
    Food? Well, to me, Mediterranean European cuisine shares more with Levantine Mediterranean, North African, and Anatolian cuisine than it does with Northern European cuisine.
    Rituals/Ceremonies? These vary a lot

It's obvious that in modern day, a Greek would identify with a Finnish person more than they would with a Syrian, but that's only because of preconceived perceptions of the Syrians as the alienated other and has no basis in actual reality. In reality, Greeks and South Italians culturally and historically share far more with Middle Eastern mediterranian people than they do with Northern Europeans. Especially now with the whole refugee crisis thing and Golden Dawn rising in Greece, I'm sure they feel a lot closer to all other Europeans. However, a lot of the support Golden Dawn in Greece stems from the fact that they promise a better economy, and to a country that's in a severe financial crisis, that's probably very appealing. I'm sure that Golden Dawn doesn't project themselves as blatant racists, just like Donald Trump did not, giving reasons for the increasing support of their party a lot of variability.

The modern European identity is partially a result of the Europeans trying to form peace with each other after fighting for ages, partially due to racism, colonialism, and partially due to mythology and ancient interpretations of geography.
    Learn some about Afghans here
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...of-Afghanistan

Indian Genomics can be modeled by four-way populations, not two way populations. Read more in this thread:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...tion-structure

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,069
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Myanthropologies View Post
    Most people aren't anthrotards, so take genetics out of the equation. The average italian will not go to Syria and think "I'm genetically closer to these people than I am to Finnish people, so I feel closer to them." Separating humans based on so called "genetics" is not natural at all, because in addition to them being largely pseudo-scientifical, humans have mixed and related to other humans for ages much before we had ancestry DNA tests. The European hunter gatherers and Ancestral North Euroasians were quite "genetically different" if you based it off where they plot on a PCA, but they are both major components of modern European ancestry.

The modern European identity is probably the most important identity to Europeans besides their ethnic identity. Nobody can really define what truly bounds Europeans together and separates them from other groups of people, because in reality there is nothing that only Europeans share that some non-Europeans don't have. Phenotypically, South Europeans look equally as different from Levantines as they do from Northern Europeans, and most have a clear cut "European" phenotype, but a fair portion also pass well as Middle Eastern. However, phenotypes are all over the place across ethnicities so it doesn't matter. I met a full blooded ethnic Ukrainian the other day who I would have thought was a light skinned mestizo.

Religion? Well, plenty Levantines are Greek Orthodox and Catholic. Several Africans, Asians, Latinos, etc are Christian as well.
    Food? Well, to me, Mediterranean European cuisine shares more with Levantine Mediterranean, North African, and Anatolian cuisine than it does with Northern European cuisine.
    Rituals/Ceremonies? These vary a lot

It's obvious that in modern day, a Greek would identify with a Finnish person more than they would with a Syrian, but that's only because of preconceived perceptions of the Syrians as the alienated other and has no basis in actual reality. In reality, Greeks and South Italians culturally and historically share far more with Middle Eastern mediterranian people than they do with Northern Europeans. Especially now with the whole refugee crisis thing and Golden Dawn rising in Greece, I'm sure they feel a lot closer to all other Europeans. However, a lot of the support Golden Dawn in Greece stems from the fact that they promise a better economy and to a country that's in a severe financial crisis, that's probably very appealing. I'm sure that Golden Dawn doesn't project themselves as blatant racists, just like Donald Trump did not, giving reasons for the increasing support of their party a lot of variability.

The modern European identity is partially a result of the Europeans trying to form peace with each other after fighting for ages, partially due to racism, colonialism, and partially due to mythology and ancient interpretations of geography.
    If the Middle East was all Christian, I think southern Italians, Greeks, and probably even Iberians would feel closer to them than they do today. As I said in the US many Italian and Lebanese Americans feel close because of shared Catholicism, roughly similar appearance and similar family dynamics, but this is not felt with Muslim Middle Easterners nor even with Muslim Europeans.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    If the Middle East was all Christian, I think southern Italians, Greeks, and probably even Iberians would feel closer to them than they do today. As I said in the US many Italian and Lebanese Americans feel close because of shared Catholicism, roughly similar appearance and similar family dynamics, but this is not felt with Muslim Middle Easterners nor even with Muslim Europeans.
    Islam is the most important part of the Islamic countries' culture, unlike Christianity in Europe

For that reason you can see people in Europe adopting paganistic religions and still not being considered non-European etc

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information