Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Ken O'Keefe, Booker T Coleman, Bob Marley, Elliott Hulse, Felix Antonion Cruz Jiminian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,414
    Given: 1,414

5 Not allowed!

Default Cape Verde.

Cape Verde

Culture:
    Cape Verdean social and cultural patterns are similar to those of rural Portugal. Football (Futebol) games and church activities are typical sources of social interaction and entertainment. The traditional walk around the praça (town square) to meet friends is practised regularly in Cape Verde towns. The culture of Cape Verda is of European and African origin.

Cuisine:
    The cuisine of Cape Verde is a West African cuisine largely influenced by Portuguese, Southern and Western European and West African cuisine. Cape Verde was a colony of Portugal from its colonization until 1975. Because the archipelago is inside the Atlantic Ocean, fish is very important in Capeverdean cooking.

One of the most important aspects of Cape Verdean culture is the beverage grogue, a strong rum made from distilled sugar cane on the islands of Santo Antao and Santiago. The beverage is made in towns such as Paul on Santo Antao and Cidade Velha on Santiago using a trapiche. A variation of the drink is ponche (punch) which is sweeted with condensed milk or sugarcane molasses. Due to the intoxication on consuming grogue, it is consumed by many Cape Verdean musicians seeking inspiration.

Milho (corn) and feilao (beans) are staples of Cape Verdean cuisine. Also popular are arroz (rice), batatas fritas (fried potatoes), mandioca (cassava), and vegetables such as cenoura (carrots), couve (kale), abobora (squash) and fish and meat such as atum (tuna), serra (sawfish), lagosta (lobster), frango (chicken), porco (grilled pork) and ovos (eggs). One legacy of the Portuguese on the islands is olives and Alentejo wines which are still imported. One type of Cape Verdean stew is a cachupa which includes mashed maize, onions, green bananas, manioc, sweet potatoes, squash and yams.

Cachupa, a stew is considered the national dish of Cape Verde which includes mashed maize, onions, green bananas, manioc, sweet potatoes, squash and yams . Manioc balls are one of the most common in Cape Verde.

In December 2002, the Cape Verdean government prohibited the killing of turtles by law, per their participation in the Convention on Biological Diversity in 1995 e a Convenção sobre Comercio Internacional de Espécies de Fauna e Flora Selvagem Ameaçadas de Extinção (CITES). The dish once popular on Santiago Island named turtle steak slowly no longer consumed. Strela is Cape Verde's most popular beer who started production in 2006, it superseded Portuguese beers including Super Bock and Sagres (in 2009).

Music:
    Cape Verde is known internationally for Morna, a form of folk music usually sung in the Cape Verdean Creole, accompanied by clarinet, violin, guitar and cavaquinho. The islands also feature native genres such as funaná, batuque, coladeira, and mazurka. Cesária Évora is perhaps the best internationally known practitioner of morna. One of Cape Verde's most famous stars, on her passing, one Cape Verdean restaurateur stated that she was "more important than our flag"

Cape Verde is an island archipelago that was uninhabited until the Portuguese arrived in 1462. The sailors brought with them African slaves, and the islands' population became mixed with elements of both races. Climate conditions made the islands inhospitable, and the Portuguese governments mostly ignored the inhabitants and the frequent droughts and famines that wracked the islands periodically. As a result, there are now more Cape Verdeans abroad than at home, and sizable communities exist in New England, Portugal, Wales, Senegal, Italy, France and the Netherlands.

Ethnic Racial Composition:
    * 71% Mulatto
    * 28% Black
    * 1% White

People:
    The Cape Verde archipelago was uninhabited when the Portuguese discovered it in 1456. Slaves from adjacent West Africa were brought to the islands to work on Portuguese plantations. As a result, many Cape Verdeans are mulattoes (mestiços in Portuguese), having biracial origins. European ancestors also include Spanish and Italian seamen who were granted land by the Portuguese Empire, followed by Portuguese settlers, exiles, and Portuguese Jews who were victims of the Inquisition. Many foreigners from other parts of the world settled in Cape Verde as their permanent country. Most of them were Dutch, French, British (English), Arab and Jewish (from Lebanon and Morocco).

A genetic study revealed that the ancestry of the population in Cape Verde is predominantly European in the male line and West African in the female line; counted together the percentage is 56% West African and 44% European.

Languages:
    Portuguese & Cape Verdean Creole are the two official languages of Cape Verde. Cape Verdean Creole is spoken by everyone and it is the language spoken locally. Cape Verdean Creole is a Portuguese based dialect that comes from the Portuguese spoken in central and southern Portugal with influences from West African languages, especially by those of present day Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Western Sahara, Morocco, and Liberia.

Religion:
    Around 95% of the population are Christian. More than 85% of the population was nominally Roman Catholic in 2007. For a minority of the population, Catholicism is syncretized with African influences.

The largest Protestant denomination is the Church of the Nazarene; other groups include the Seventh-day Adventist Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Assemblies of God, the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, and other Pentecostal and evangelical groups. There is a small Muslim community. There were Jewish settlements on several islands. The number of atheists is estimated at less than 1% of the population.

Sports:
    The country's most successful sports team is the Cape Verde national basketball team, which won the bronze medal at the FIBA Africa Championship 2007, after beating Egypt in its last game. The country's most well-known player is Walter Tavares, who plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers of the NBA.

Cape Verde is famous for wave sailing (a type of windsurfing) and kiteboarding. Josh Angulo, a Hawaiian and 2009 PWA Wave World Champion, has done much to promote the archipelago as a windsurfing destination. Cape Verde is now his adopted country. Mitu Monteiro, a local kitesurfer, was the 2008 Kite Surfing World Champion in the wave discipline.

Cape Verdean videos:

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,069
    Given: 10,740

2 Not allowed!

Cape Verdeans are probably the closest looking people to Dominicans.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-27-2021 @ 10:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Western Europe, West Africa, The Caribbean
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Ken O'Keefe, Booker T Coleman, Bob Marley, Elliott Hulse, Felix Antonion Cruz Jiminian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Cape Verdeans are probably the closest looking people to Dominicans.
    yeah they really are and curacaoans

but the cape verdeans are better looking than us dominicans, no joke

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,069
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicanese View Post
    yeah they really are and curacaoans

but the cape verdeans are better looking than us dominicans, no joke
    Obesity is less common in Cape Verde than in the Caribbean, that may be why.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2021 @ 10:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt & fag
    Ethnicity
    French (Normandy, Alsace), German (Saxony, Lower Silesia), Spanish Basque (Biskaya)
    Ancestry
    Some cheeky monkeys with opposable first digit
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Occitania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L20
    Taxonomy
    Probably subnordid
    Politics
    Libtardism, European federalism, anti-nationalism
    Religion
    never complain, never explain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,268
    Given: 1,561

1 Not allowed!

I went there 3 years ago. Great memories. I visited the most beautiful islands of Santiago, São Nicolau, São Vicente, Santo Antão, Brava and Fogo. I voluntarily skipped the most touristic islands of Sal and Boa Vista, as well as Maio and Santa Luzia.

I even stumbled across Antoine de Maximy, a famous French journalist and traveller who films his journeys across the world. What for a big coincidence. I had a short chat with him while he was filming me. But I told him I didn't want to be on French television.
    Here are the photos I took of him.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Obesity is less common in Cape Verde than in the Caribbean, that may be why.
    no its not that and trust me about more than half of the dominican population is undernourished or under weight with us being tied with nicaragua and haiti being 1st, we'er the second

its something else, their faces are more beautiful and less exotic than ours

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melki View Post
    I went there 3 years ago. Great memories. I visited the most beautiful islands of Santiago, São Nicolau, São Vicente, Santo Antão, Brava and Fogo. I voluntarily skipped the most touristic islands of Sal and Boa Vista, as well as Maio and Santa Luzia.

I even stumbled across Antoine de Maximy, a famous French journalist and traveller who films his journeys across the world. What for a big coincidence. I had a short chat with him while he was filming me. But I told him I didn't want to be on French television.
    Here are the photos I took of him.
    very nice man, you shouldve accepted it so you can finally be on tv lol

i havent been there yet but i have been to morocco, not too far from there

its harder for us latin americans to travel there, too much hardships here like over there Cape Verde

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

[IMG]Tugboat 'Monte Cara', Mindelo, Cape Verde by Night-Sky, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Cape Verde Landscape by John Dalkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]2 - Pencil Vs Camera for Art Official Concept by Ben Heine, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Mercado Municipal São Filipe by David Trainer, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_1595 by BigMikeSndTech, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Eyes of wisdom by F Mira, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Cape Verde island tour by Adam Foster, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]aida_1110_020 by David Kirsch, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Tarrafal, Cabo Verde by jbdodane, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Pier by Beatrice Tiberi, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Faces of Cape Verde by F Mira, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Faces of cape verde by F Mira, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Baby by Beatrice Tiberi, on Flickr[/IMG]

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

[IMG]Cape Verde by Andy Lederer, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]aida_1203_047 by David Kirsch, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last Online
    01-01-2020 @ 03:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American